We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much £ for my 30 day holiday to Spain and Portugal?

Which Malaga hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bristol, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
How much £ for my 30 day holiday to Spain and Portugal?

Hi all, Me and my boyfriend are going to be going to Spain (Madrid, Malaga, Seville) for 10 nights in August and 20 nights in Portugal (Faro, Lagos and Lisbon.)

We have already booked all accommodation and main travel, we will be staying in some self catering places so will be able to stay in and cook some night.

However I am unsure how much to budget for food, some entertainment and a little shopping. We will probably eat brunch and dinner out most nights- but not every. Does any one have any ideas? Or even any tips for the holiday?

Another thing is we're students so would like to keep the budget down as much as possible:)

Edited: 23 June 2014, 18:51
Woking, United...
Level Contributor
6,723 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much £ for my 30 day holiday to Spain and Portugal?

If you're eating out most days lunches etc you can have Tapas or Menu of the day at the Chinese places which will keep the cost down but budget on €100 a day and you should be OK.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
606 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much £ for my 30 day holiday to Spain and Portugal?

The fact that you are in some self-catering places and can go to a supermarket and get stuff to cook yourselves, will keep costs way down. Tapas can be very cheap and some main evening meals don't have to cost too much. I think, in all my visits to Spain, over the years, I have never spent as much as €100 a day!!! (Or €50, for just one person, of course!) If you intend splashing out on meals and going to the most expensive theatres and nightclubs, then the cost will obviously rise....but I doubt that you will be too bothered about doing that, very often!

Seville is stunning and you will get a huge amount of enjoyment just wandering especially round places like the Plaza de Espana, the Maria Luisa Park (both free!) and you will love the 'mushrooms, in Plaza de la Encarnacion. To go up to the roof top and walk there, to see fabulous views, will cost about €3 each, nowadays - but remember that that does include a drink at the rooftop bar!

The new port area, in Malaga, is amazing - and the walkway there leads down to one of the beaches....again free! Lovely seating areas and views - but maybe the eateries would add to your daily expense!

When I was in Madrid, the first time, a taxi driver told me to ignore what is on eye level and look up, to see wonderful architecture! I always did that, on subsequent visits and he was right!! Visit the Retiro Park - free

- and walk around the fairly compact city centre, to take advantage of most of the sights.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
55,189 posts
3,468 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much £ for my 30 day holiday to Spain and Portugal?

Africa:

Most tourists spend 70 to 80 euros a day, according to news reports.

In Spain they have the menu of the day which costs 8 to 12 euros, more in expensive restaurants. You get two plates, bread, dessert and a glass of wine or beer. This is a good deal and the menu of the day is posted outside the restaurant so that you can study it.

Woking, United...
Level Contributor
6,723 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much £ for my 30 day holiday to Spain and Portugal?

I didn't think I was too far off the mark, especially if you want entertainment and drinks etc - I can sneeze and spend £100 on my own so €100 between two of you including all eats and going out with drinks, spirits whatever you can do €100 easily... !! Sure, it may be a little over the top, but nothing worse than not taking enough and needing it than taking too much and coming back with some :)

Been there, done that - ruins your holiday, especially as this is a long break, you want it to be unforgettable, not panic you've not got enough money!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much £ for my 30 day holiday to Spain and Portugal?

Stick to menu of the day at spanish bars - always good value - try and find ones were the local workers go. Many bars also give small taps free witha drink.Also in spain there is stigma in sharing a plate of food in spanish culture if you want to look at budget you might want to look at calories to if you dinning out most of the time ! 30 euros a day per person. should be managable.

UK/Benalmadena
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much £ for my 30 day holiday to Spain and Portugal?

" Also in spain there is stigma in sharing a plate of food "

Never heard that one before, Lewis??? Most places have tapas and rations or half rations which are made for sharing. It's only in proper restaurants that it wouldn't be normal, but that would be the same as UK.

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How much £ for my 30 day holiday to Spain and Portugal?

Dont forget to try the bocadillo its a sandwich in a french stick in Spain is called a Bara if you go in to a small corner shop or small supermarket you can choose your ham from the meat counter they will cut it weigh it, you can also add a tomato and they will make you a fresh sandwich BOCADILLO to take out.

London, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much £ for my 30 day holiday to Spain and Portugal?

Well picked up Ali - typo on my iphone while i was enjoying my "menu del dia". I wanted to say there was "no stigma" in most restaurants to ordering a plate or ración - anything from 4 to 10 eruos usually- which are often big enough for two people share.

UK/Benalmadena
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much £ for my 30 day holiday to Spain and Portugal?

Ha ha YW Lewis, thought it was a little odd ;)

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How much £ for my 30 day holiday to Spain and Portugal?

Sorry but I agree with the 1st person, 100 euro per day (for both of you) . Having been to Costa Del Sol and Portugal (which is really expensive in some areas eg Vale de Labo ) I would take about 3000 euro for the month. I'm going for 2 weeks shortly and will be taking 2000 for myself and my Daughter and we do not hire a car or go on many trips! Shopping at Supermarkets will bring the cost down but drinks are 5-8 euro each. Use public transport instead of taxis