We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

police and driving in spain

Otley, United...
Level Contributor
236 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
police and driving in spain

just a quick question, when driving in spain and getting stopped by the poilcie for a routine check, or god forbid something else, will the poilcie accept a photocopy of passports, and driving licence, i dont want to really travel around with the originals, i will carry the address of where i am staying ect, and do they do the same as the uk as in a producer document to take the original paper work to the local gardia station where i am staying, thanks in advance

Woking, United...
Level Contributor
6,723 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: police and driving in spain

Check the Hire Car before you drive off.... If not then "YOU" will have to make sure you have the necessary stuff, and as said before make sure that the Hi Vis Jackets are in the car and not the boot so you exit wearing them!!

Otley, United...
Level Contributor
236 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: police and driving in spain

Interesting and thanks for that, fly out in a couple of weeks so will get in touch with hire people to make sure they provide high vis and triangle, so next question me an OH only do I need 2 hi vis assume one of us stays in car??_?

Ian
Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
11,160 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: police and driving in spain

Have to say, hire companies very poor about providing in cars. I would suggest that over the last 14 years since became compulsory in over 50% of the cases not in the car on my inspection. In addition I have probably rejected 10% of cars due to bald tyres etc.

It is only in the last 6/7 years I have used the internet to buy on price, the vast bulk of my hires at the start of this century were with the big hire companies like Avis, Hertz etc.

In Spain you must carry warning triangles, hi viz vests, registration documents/hire agreement and the vehicle insurance.

Its your fine, I find it crazy that people just jump in to the car and drive away, its not only a fine, its your life your putting at risk and often your children as well.

Would you drive away a second hand car of the forecourt without checking, I dont think so.

Edited: 25 June 2014, 16:23
Ian
Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
11,160 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: police and driving in spain

You need a vest for every passenger, we always take two spares for the grandchildren as usually only two in the car.

Please dont beleive what your hire company states, by law they should provide, only checking do you know the facts.

Edited: 25 June 2014, 16:51
Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: police and driving in spain

not just flip flops any loose sandals, they must be a full shoe all around the heel.

Ian
Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
11,160 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: police and driving in spain

I am not sure about this foot wear. I have always driven bare footed, even my driving test and in police checks got out of the car and slipped my flip flops on which I keep in the door side pocket. As far as the police are concerned I get out of the car in flip flops. Not sure how they could prove I had driven in them. (which I have not)

Whilst the police interested in my glasses, vests, warning triangles etc have never mentioned my footwear.

I and I know most of my friends were advised to drive bare footed as we could feel the clutch in the day of days when you had to double de clutch, this was standard in the mid 50's.

This was in the days before car heaters and in winter.

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: police and driving in spain

I assure you you can not drive in bare feet or shoes without backs to the heel . Its one of those law just sitting on the side for them to use where and when they want

Ian
Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
11,160 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: police and driving in spain

As an AA member put the matter to them, their on line advise is that driving bare foot is safer then sandals.

have asked if driving bare foot an offence in Spain.

As a gold card member better get my monies worth.

Hope for an answer.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
5,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: police and driving in spain

There is no mention whatsoever to the type of shoes or clothes that you can wear while driving on Spanish traffic laws.

However, Article 18 of the Road safety code states that drivers have the obligation to guarantee appropriate moving capabilities while driving, and if a cop stops you and he sees that you are wearing flip flips, he could fine you since such shoes could potentially restrict your moving capabilities.

It is of course of those highly subjective prone to interpretation commands that laws every now and then have.

Woking, United...
Level Contributor
6,723 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: police and driving in spain

Exactly right MAC - it is a very "grey" area - I guess it depends on the mood of the officer on the day - I wouldn't risk it anyway for the safety of myself, may passengers or other road users, it's madness!!

A very interesting read here: cea-online.es/prensa/nota_prensa/2013/np256_… Just turn on your browser auto translator if you're not fluent in Spanish :)

Edited: 27 June 2014, 10:19