We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting areas out of the city centre

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
5,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting areas out of the city centre

Now that we are getting the metro working from 30th July, it is a good idea to visit other areas of the city which are seldom visited by tourists but are very nice.

One of such areas is El Consul district, located on the back of the Hospital Clínico Universitario.

A few blocks between Avenida Plutarco and Calle Navarro Ledesma conform an area which has a very good dining scene, full of nice restaurants, bars, and ice cream shops. The crowd is a mixture of university students and local residents, and if you are looking for an off the beaten path experience is as good as it gets.

One of my favorite restaurants in the area is Bienmesabe. The owner is a bit blunt but the food is excellent.

It is easy to get to this area by metro (university stop) or using the #11 bus line.

Woking, United...
Level Contributor
6,723 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting areas out of the city centre

Great post MAC - thought I would post this as well if that's OK: theolivepress.es/spain-news/…

If anyone has any more recent updates that would be great too.... tbh I knew nothing of this until this thread - so thanks, will be a great addition to the already superb Public Transport infrastructure in the region.

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,628 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting areas out of the city centre

What an excellent idea MAC.

All recommendations for places to eat, drink or visit near Metro stops gratefully received!

Edited: 28 July 2014, 12:41
Woking, United...
Level Contributor
6,723 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting areas out of the city centre

Just found this which contains a lot more information if it helps:

http://metromalaga.es/

Hopefully (if you need it) you'll have a browser that translates automatically into English for you :)

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
5,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting areas out of the city centre

Thanks for the thanks.

Precisely today we have eaten in that area. The kids' summer camp is coming to an end and family logistics get harder, so I had to pick up my kids and my wife who is a bank manager in the area and we went to El Hormiguero tapas located on Avenida de Plutarco.

One bottle of sparkling rosé wine and 5 tapas (which are substantially large): 9 euros!. Of course don't expect haute cuisine but the food was decent enough.

I think dropping by this neighborhood can be interesting for anyone who wants to know how locals live (very few of us live in the city centre!) and pay real local prices in the process.

And while we are at it, another interesting Metro stop for food and drink is Martín Carpena in Parque Litoral neighborhood (which happens to be MY neighborhood). There are many interesting spots in the area but I will single out two of them since they are consistently good: Mesón Agustín (Avenida de Moliere) for traditional tapas with great prices, and Marisquería La Piká (Calle Pilar Lorengar) which serves one of the best seafood in the city again at great prices.

Bon appetit!

5. Re: Visiting areas out of the city centre

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 July 2015, 06:16