We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Starbucks Has Just Opened in Malaga

Which Malaga hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
55,011 posts
3,463 reviews
Save Topic
Starbucks Has Just Opened in Malaga

Where: El Corte Ingles home store on Calle Hilera.

I just passed the new coffee shop and saw that they had just opened, with many men in suits milling around. There were many customers too waiting to enter.

I myself am not a coffee drinker.

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,076 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Starbucks Has Just Opened in Malaga

Another nail in the coffin of Andalucían Malaga.

UK/Benalmadena
Level Contributor
1,878 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Starbucks Has Just Opened in Malaga

" Another nail in the coffin of Andalucían Malaga."

No way NSG. How can you compare Starbucks to REAL cafe con leche served in spanish bars!! :-)

Torrox Costa, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torrox
Level Contributor
6,022 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Starbucks Has Just Opened in Malaga

Ah Starbucks, another American import for people who don't know a good cup of coffee. Every Spanish cafe/bar makes a far superior brew.

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
14,472 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Starbucks Has Just Opened in Malaga

How sad!

Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Starbucks Has Just Opened in Malaga

I was planning to come to Málaga in the near future but I hear about Taco Bell, Costa Coffee, Primark, Pundland, and now Starbucks. If I come, will I see the real Málaga? It seems it is being 'globalised' and I can see that at home, lol!

Torrox Costa, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torrox
Level Contributor
6,022 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Starbucks Has Just Opened in Malaga

Don't worry the real Malaga is still alive and kicking. The shops etc you mention are easily avoided.

Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Starbucks Has Just Opened in Malaga

Thanks for your reply, Pavoreal. It's true that I can avoid these places, and I intended to do so, but I am more concerned about the inevitable effect this sort of 'blanding' of the city has had on the overall atmosphere and feel. So many cities that I visit throughout Europe now all have a similar 'EU-ised', standardised feel that I am keen to avoid. The presence of these global chains in Málaga does not fill me with great enthusiasm.

And to BennyMalaga: No-one in Starbucks is a coffee drinker so you'd be right at home :-D

Edited: 14 August 2014, 17:22
Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
4,488 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Starbucks Has Just Opened in Malaga

well it has just opened. Since you can get an excellent cup of the real thing for 1.20 to 2.00 euros I wonder how long it will stay with us. Here's hoping Málaga coffee drinkers can send a message to the world.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,118 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Starbucks Has Just Opened in Malaga

GuiSanchez has understandable concerns, I've seen the cloning of cities across Europe take place over the last 20-years, often forget where I am, what country even, all high streets start to look the same as do prices. People dress the same, eat and drink the same, does take the edge of some travel experiences IMO. Do still visit though, Gui, Malaga City still relatively unaffected if you follow locals.

I totally agree that Starbucks customers are not coffee drinkers ;-) but the thing that sells is fashion and willingness to pay for being 'trendy'. I won't mention tipping lol but it's a fact that poor quality with neon lights at high prices seem to be busier than a backstreet quality family outlet, be it coffee shop or bar, it's a universal phenomenon - very sad..

I've just had 4-weeks around Malaga with around 5-days in the city, I still enjoy it but I have seen it becoming more touristic, I have seen guys with no shirts displaying tatooes in the city centre, I do see the youngsters attracted to all things foreign and trendy when what they have at home is far superior, I see prices rising, not sure how far it will all go in Malaga city.

Nowhere is imune, even in Belgrade (my bolt hole from globalisation) KFC opened last year, youngsters pay to eat at McDonalds when a local speciality next door is twice as good, twice as filling, better for you and 1/2 the price. WizzAir has seen more visitors, tourist central prices risen considerably as visitors think twice the going rate is cheap - it is if you hold USD or Sterling.

In 100 years maybe no need to travel in Europe to experience a different culture?

Stoofer

Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Starbucks Has Just Opened in Malaga

Thanks for your input, Stooferuk, you talk much sense indeed. These things always start off with just a few of the 'brands' but before you know it you have a city centre that looks like all the others. I think we all shop in the chains at some point and there is a certain benefit to them (I don't feel the same way about the likes of Starbucks though where the local alternative is far superior) but it is disheartening to arrive somewhere to see you have nothing distinctive to browse around and perhaps pick up something interestingly local.

I am surprised the same thing is happening in Belgrade but I guess nowhere is really immune.