We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alhambra from Malaga

Which Malaga hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
32 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Alhambra from Malaga

Hello,

We are trying to book tickets to the Alhambra for Sept 14th and have found them on the Ticketmaster site using the directions from TripAdvisor.

We can't figure out the bus schedule, the only time for us to visit the Nasrid palaces is at 9am -- If we get the earliest bus (7am?) can we make it in time? We dont want to miss this but are unsure of the trip time including walking to Alhambra from wherever the bus drops you off.

Thanks!

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
56,783 posts
3,570 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alhambra from Malaga

Mand:

The earliest Alsa Bus is at 7 am and arrives at Granada at 8:45 am.

alsa.es/portal/…

The bus station in Granada is not in the city center, so I would take a taxi to go to the Alhambra.

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,375 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alhambra from Malaga

If your entry time is 9am then you are very unlikely to make it, even though the timetables on the Málaga - Granada route are padded. An 8.30 arrival would still only give you 30 mins to get in a cab, get through the city centre and up to the Alhambra, into the Alhambra itself and then along to the queue for the Nasrids.

Do note that there is a lot more to the Alhambra than just the Nasrids though, and they are probably better seen and understood via one of the beautifully-shot videos available at the Alhambra shop rather than in the company of hundreds of other tourists clicking away with their cameras and mobiles.

Edited: 31 August 2014, 06:25
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
19,199 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alhambra from Malaga

It is very tight. If you have a 9am entry for Nasrid this effectively means you have until 9.30 am to enter as the timed slot is 30 minutes. As you are also travelling on a Sunday morning you should be able to reach the Alhambra in under 30 minutes. However once you reach the main entrance to Alhambra you have to find your way down to Nasrid entrance which is a good 15 minutes walk.

If you can collect tickets before at a ServiCaixa terminal (ATM) of La Caixa bank as instructed by Tickemaster within Andalucia you may then get the taxi driver to take you directly to the Justice Gate from where you walk through this impressive entrance and into the complex and you are just across the open area from the Nasrid door entrance and queue to enter. This idea only works if you have full adult tickets not concessions in your hand.

Look at this plan design for the Alhambra

alhambra-patronato.es/fileadmin/pdf/RETIRA_A…

If you are very unlucky and miss the Nasrid entrance then you have the time to wander around all the other areas which are worth the trip to Granada. But obviously hope it all works out.

Edited: 31 August 2014, 08:57
Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
14,728 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alhambra from Malaga

More expensive but the Granada City Pass http://www.lovegranada.com/granada/city-pass/ allows you entry at any time on your chosen day, includes local Granada buses too.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,654 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alhambra from Malaga

You can no longer collect tickets from Caixa terminals, only from the box office or from the automated machines in a little building in front of the box office.

Why not go up the day before and stay locally. We stayed at the Parador as a treat the last time we went up. It's quite pricy though. There is also the lovely and much more reasonable Hotel America where one of our party stayed. It's right beside the Parador and both hotels are minutes away from the entrance to the Nasrid palace

London
Level Contributor
4 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alhambra from Malaga

It takes about 90 mins to get to Granada from Malaga and then the bus station is very slightly out of town so you would be relying on a taxi to get you to the Alhambra so I would say you would struggle to make 9am at Nasrid by the time you queue to get your tickets. I would be tempted to go up the day before and stay over. It is really cheap to stay in Granada and if you look for something nearish to the cathedral you will be close enought to the Alhambra. Granada is well worth a stay - great tapas bars and sights and very low cost.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,841 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alhambra from Malaga

And you still get a free tapa when you order a drink! :-)

I've taken that 7AM coach from Malaga and it took 1H45.

Ian
Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
11,006 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alhambra from Malaga

You may be better off hiring a car, from malaga is a very easy journey which will take under 90 minutes. |basically all dual carriage way and on a sunday morning will be very quiet.

Car hire is very cheap and there are large car parks at the Alhambra.

As stated you only have 30 minutes to enter the palace from your entry time. I have always found it better to be their at the start as they allow large groups to go in at one time and then feed us independant visitors in. I have often refused to go when requested as would be on the back of a large party, better to enter just before large party. You have to fight your ground as some party leaders think they have the right to just stand there blocking off all the views. Took us about 60 minutes to explore the nasrid, amazed how much the main parties missed out. Overall I think you need a minimum of 5 hours to explore the Alhambra.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
19,199 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alhambra from Malaga

lynamc

In your comment above you state with authority that it is not possible to collect Alhambra tickets using the Servicaixa machines.

This is at odds with other comments as well as specific instructions on Ticketmaster web for collection saying:

Collect them at the ServiCaixa terminals of ”la Caixa” in Andalucia.

You will have them available once the purchase has been made

You will be able to collect your tickets at ServiCaixa terminals in Andalucia

Remember that the ServiCaixa terminals allow the use of cards issued by other entities.

Unquote

and one or two previous comments on these Forums when folk have collected Alhambra tickets such as this one in April

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187441-i416-k74…

and this one in May

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187441-i416-k74…

so I am wondering if the collection within Andalucia of Ticketmaster ordered Alhambra tickets has now been suspended?

Ian
Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
11,006 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alhambra from Malaga

Have to say have never ever booked tickets in advance, just turned up.

In May we arrived just before mid day, we were offered every half hour from midday to visit the nasrid palace, we were the only people buying tickets for the day, chose 1pm as giving us time have a drink and a bite.

The queues for pre booked tickets were massive, I thought we would not be able to get in, in our mind we were already on the bus in to Granada, which was our fall back activity.

We have not been in to Granada for over 5 years as we have been able to just walk in to the Alhambra.

Has anyone ever been refused entry just walking up?

Friends who went with us had tried to book on line a month before and could only get late afternoon tickets which they turned down.