We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

please advise about car rental!

Level Contributor
31 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
please advise about car rental!

Hello TripAdvisors,

I'm looking for suggestions for car rental in andalucia to pick up from malaga airpirt for a week. Then from Seville i will be going to Pirtugal for another week. Do i go with the same car or should i leave it in seville, go with publuc transportation to portugal and rent another car there (i'm asking in terms of cost. And i donno of any public transportation that will get me to Faro).

Please advise

London
Level Contributor
4 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: please advise about car rental!

I would check out the trains. Parking in some of the cities in Andalucia is a nightmare and very expensive. You can certainly get from Malaga to Seville by train easily. We have just done this a month ago. You can check the website for Renfe but it is a basket case! The alternative is to get the train from the airport to Malaga Maria Zambrano (approx €3 each) then pick up a train to Seville which are pretty frequent (we paid €20 each). The train station is approx a €7 taxi ride away from town. Don't think you can get to Faro by public transport but if you take a rental car from one country to another it will be very expensive and look out for the new fuel rules where they charge you for a full tank of petrol (way over the real cost) and get you to return the car empty.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
20,778 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: please advise about car rental!

Getting from Seville to Faro or other places on the Algarve can be done by bus.

This link is useful for researching :

http://www.algarvebus.info/001.htm

You don't say if you plan to return the car in Spain. If leaving from Portugal then best is to rent from a Portuguese hire company once you are in Portugal.

If the object of your trip is to visit the main cities like Granada, Cordoba and Seville then certainly train or bus is fine.

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
15,812 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: please advise about car rental!

Avis and Goldcar came up cheapest for one way hire for my trip in Nov. Pick up in Malaga drop off La Linea. Avis 2x the price of Goldcar though.

Level Contributor
31 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: please advise about car rental!

Thabk you very much for the replies. I'm planing to fly back from Portugal back home. I know that a train would be cheaper but a car optiin will allow us to take our time and be relaxed witg your stuff and be able to stop if we see something we like along the way. So how much adddition are we talking about approximately for a one way hire? To see if it's worth swiching to a train then rent a car again?

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
15,812 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: please advise about car rental!

My one way Malaga to Gib (return spanish side of the border) is only 40€ extra. However i havent seen a car provider offering different country returns.

6. Re: please advise about car rental!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2015, 05:15