We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

malaga in dec

Which Malaga hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
USA
1 post
Save Topic
malaga in dec

We are going to be in Malaga for a week in mid dec. Can anyone suggest what to see and do? Is it possible to do a day trip to Tangiers,Morocco? We ahve 6 days to spend.

Should we rent a car or take public transport.

Hampshire
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: malaga in dec

To be honest Malaga is not the best of Spanish cities. However there are plenty of excellant places to visit that are reasonbly close i.e. day trips. - Granada, Cordoba and Ronda about an hour by car, Seville about 90 minutes by car, and why not a day in Gibraltar ( a little bit of Britain by the Med, British police, British beer, English spoken etc etc ) just under two hours by car, all above well worth visiting.

It is possible to take a day trip to Tangiers. Ferries go from Algercias.

To my mind the best way to get around is to hire a car. I always use carjet@carjet.com. they are a booking agency and use Crown Car Hire. However the price quoted is the price you pay no nasty little extra's when you come to pick your car up. I have never had any problems and have used them many times, booking on line in the UK before leaving. In fact I have recently booked a Renault Clio for one week in January at a cost of £86. Not a bad price.They can however be a little tedious when picking up your car, despite using them before it still takes 30 minutes to register all details (Spanish bureaucracy I suppose).

Lake Vinuela...
Level Contributor
9,535 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: malaga in dec

Have to disagree cheeseontoast. In our opinion ,Malaga is a truly fascinating city - that is why so many Cruise Liners now call there!

Numerous old alleyways and streets the wander round - both spanish and Moorish/Arabic in design, a fabulous Cathedral and Gibralfaro the old citadel/fortress, the stunning Picasso Museum, traditional Tapas bars, great shopping, nice beaches right in town, and restaurants with food to die for - from a corner Coffee House to 5 Star establishments.

Take the Open Top Bus tour and see all the major sites - get on and off as you please with tickets valid for up to 24 hours.

Forfun chess - you are so lucky to be there mid December as the Christmas lights should be on by then - these are VERY famous and truly breathtaking. They seem to go on forever.

Forfun - depends where you are staying whether you need to hire a car or not - if in Malaga City, or in one of the nearby coastal resorts of Torremolinos, Benalmadena or Fuengirola the public transport systems are excellent (bus and train). There are numerous travel agents in the coastal resorts offering day trips to Tangiers/Morocco - would suggest you go on one of these for a first visit so you have a guide as, as if you go on your own, you are easy targets for the constant hawkers and pick pockets.

warwickshire
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: malaga in dec

Take a day trip to Granada, it is well worth a visit to see the Alhambra. We travelled there by bus which costs about 16euros for a return trip. Buses run hourly untill about 9pm and the journey takes about 1hour 45 mins. Granada is a nightmare with a car. Book Alhambra tickets in advance to guarantee getting in and avoid the longer queue for on the day tickets.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
361 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: malaga in dec

I'd also advice a trip or at least an overnight to Ronda. Up in the mountains, probably 80 mins from Malaga, it's very charming and not so touristy. Maybe Malaga is on the up, but I'd stay well clear of the rest of the Costa and head inland for other towns. Towns with character.

Ireland
Level Contributor
922 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: malaga in dec

Agree with casaianda, Malaga is a fascinating city, love it.

UK
Level Contributor
2,163 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: malaga in dec

I, too, agree with Casaianda, Malaga is a beautiful city with plenty to see & do. the views from the Gilbafaro are amazing - you can see for miles over the city.

Shopping is good, the department store, El Corte Ingles is about 10 minutes walk from the centre & nearby is the Larios centre which has plenty of shops to keep you amused. Calle Larios in the centre is the main shopping street which leads from the port to the Old town, a fascinating place to wander around.

www.malagaturismo.com

usa
13 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: malaga in dec

Thank you from forfun

Torremolinos
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: malaga in dec

I agree too; Malaga is a great place but Gibraltar is NOT worth a visit really and I say that as an Englishman. Do a search on the web for cheap car rentals from Malaga and reserve your car before you get here: it will be cheaper that way. But dont take the first car deal you find. Morocco is easily reached by ferry from Algeciras or Tarifa and there are organised day trips if you want one: that would be a lot cheaper than taking a car. Dont think about flying there: its very expensive. Go to Granada and see the Alhambra whatever you do but book your visit in advance either on the Alhambra website or with a tour company. What else you do depends on your own personal interests. You might be interested in visiting some of the villages in the Alpujarras mountains, e.g. Capileira: there are some excellent walks up there and the influence of the Moors is still very noticeable. Ronda is definitely worth a visit. I would recommend the Rough Guide to Andalucia as useful reading for you.

9. Re: malaga in dec

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2009, 09:16