We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gibralter - self tour

Which Marbella hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bellmore, New York
Level Contributor
837 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Gibralter - self tour

We plan to drive to Gibralter for a day trip from Marbella.

We will park at La Linea and walk across the border (watching out for low flying jets!).

Once in Gibralter what is the best way to tour. I know that you can hire a taxi tour. We will be four adults. How much would that cost? Is that the best way to see the major sites. Any suggestions????

Thanks for the help.

Marty

Cuenca, Spain
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
9,666 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gibralter - self tour

Hello Marty,

Save your time and money. The place is full of monkies and cheap fast food dives that serve disgusting food.

You can see and experience that in NY(smile)

Spend your time wisely by going to Spanish places.

http://www.visitcostadelsol.com/indexeng.htm

GRANADA. w3.grupobbva.com/ALHAMBRA/alhambra/home.htm

RONDA.

http://www.andalucia.com/laspiletas/

See Marbella and especially Puerto Banus. You will not see Palaces, Hotels or Yachts like these anywhere else. Then go along the coast to Fuengirola, Torremolinos and then Malaga. www.benal-mad.com Another lovely town between Fuengirola and Torremolinos.

Take a trip to visit NERJA.http://www.andalucia.com/nerja/home.htm Frigiliana is a wonderful White Village less than 20 minutes driving from Nerja. The Nerja Caves are a must see. Nerja is considered to be one of the nicest Towns on the Costa Del Sol. Also see another white village called Mijas.

Have a happy trip!

manchester england
Level Contributor
691 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gibralter - self tour

martyap

i went to new york in march and thought this was a fab place

but aslo doing a fly drive around spain in july this is a trip we wish to do

so it would be nice for someone to comment on what you requested

going back to new yokr next year

malaga spain
Level Contributor
561 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gibralter - self tour

Hi Martyap,

You can take your car over the border, if you get there early enough, before 9 then it shouldnt be a problem waiting to get in, then you can drive yourselves up the rock,

If you leave your car at la linea you can take a taxi up and this is about 65 euros, infact even if you take your own car you still have to pay but its only about 20 ish euros, and you will have longer,

im trying to think of some travel agents in gib that do the tours ill have a think and let you know, also there are the caves which are very interesting,

Amber

Bellmore, New York
Level Contributor
837 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gibralter - self tour

Hi,

Can anyone offer any positives about Gibralter. JohnnyBgood

says I should pass. Any other thoughts?

We already plan to visit Marbella & Puerto Banus, Nerja, Ronda, Mijas, Fuengirola, Granada (two nights-during the festival of the crosses) and finally two nights in Sevilla.

Just wanted to get any positive thoughts about Gibralter or we will not waste the time. We do not want to ferry to Tangiers so it would only be a day trip to see "the rock".

Thanks,

Marty

Cuenca, Spain
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
9,666 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gibralter - self tour

Hello Martyap,

QUOTE: We already plan to visit Marbella & Puerto Banus, Nerja, Ronda, Mijas, Fuengirola, Granada (two nights-during the festival of the crosses) and finally two nights in Sevilla.

This is a perfect schedule.

If you plan to go then please remember to book well in advance to see the ALHAMBRA in Granada.

If the Gibralter trip means a lot to you then please go and do the day trip. I would hate for anyone to ever blame me for making you stay away from the rock.

Later on, kindly come back and post your opinion. OK!

note: I have travelled to NY and surrounding areas over a dozen times. During each month of the year. It is fun and like everywhere else, you get out what you put into to it.

I love NY and have fun travelling there and everywhere I go to.

Please realize that my first comment about NY on the other post was meant to be humerous. NOTE THE WORD SMILE IN BRACKETS.

It was never meant to offend you or NY.

SOME PEOPLE DO NOT KNOW HOW TO READ OR UNDERSTAND A JOKE AND MAY HAVE MISINTERPRETED MY COMMENTS.

Have fun!

Bellmore, New York
Level Contributor
837 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gibralter - self tour

Hi Johnny,

I really appreciate your opinion and your humor. I do not want to waste a day in Gibralter if the time can be better spent. I believe you about the rock and the apes!!!!

How do you feel about a day trip from Mijas Costa to Cordoba instead? We would be able to start very early and I am guessing that it is about a three hour drive. Could not stay overnight...it would have to be a day trip. Is it a difficult drive??? I wanted to visit the the Mezquita and the Juderia. Don't think a trip to Spain would be complete without a visit to Cordoba. I believe it is during the festival of patios as well which might be fun.

Also....any thoughts on villages like Casares and Gaucin. Are they very commercial??? worth a few hours??

Appreciate your advice,

tu amigo para Nueva York.

Marty

nj
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Gibralter - self tour

we did gib 2rs ago. drove from marbella parked at the linea crossed border checkpoint and took the buse.the buse does a circular route got off at the gondola and took the ride to the top. you can buy round trip or one way if one way you walk down. the site on top of gib is tremendos and you will see the stragetic value of gib lots of apes from babies to adults they will be allover you and steal your bags if not carefull. you can go to an english pub and eat british food and drink english ale.walk through th main street gib is a duty free port good buys for tabacco and scotch.not much to do but you can say i been there when pic of gib being shown.good luck. you can also see ceuta it is a city in africa that belongs to spain we did tangier during the iraq war with no problems culter shock but good experience go with tour from marbella about 40euros and they take care of passport control save you alotof hasles

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,158 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gibralter - self tour

I have done the Gibralter trip Marty and whilst it is quite interesting for a Brit to see a little piece of England (red phone boxes and Marks and Spencers) so close to Spain it was rather sleezy and would nt really recommend it compared to the Spanish trips you can do.

Bellmore, New York
Level Contributor
837 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gibralter - self tour

Thanks to everyone,

I am convinced! We will leave Gibralter for another time.

We have already included Ronda, Mijas, Sevilla, Granada, Marbella, Casares and Nerja. If any time permits we will see if we can make it to Cordoba. We'll keep our euros in Spain.

Appreciate all the help.

Marty

Manitoba, CAnada
8 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Gibralter - self tour

Dear Marty:

Hi, I am planning a Sept trip for the first time from Canada to the areas you have described & staying in Nerja/Maro and planning day trips from there. My suggestion to you is why not go to Jerez from Marbella before you head to Seville. Jerez is famous for sherrys - Harvey's Bristol Cream is made there as well as Sandeman, John Harvey, Domecq, Gonzalez Byass. You can visit a bodega (wine cellar/wine manufacturing place)for a day tour. You can search for these and book over the internet

Jerez is also famous for flamenco dancers, & equestrian horses (at the Royal Andalucian School of Equestrian Art). I think it would be an excellent day trip. From Marbella, I think Jerez is 2-3 hours away.

When are you travelling. Are you staying at hotels?villas? I would be interested to hear as I have had a dilemma of where to stay, finally choosing to stay at a self catering villa near Nerja.

Happy travels

Shannon