We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Macdonald Dona Lola vs Club La Costa at Marina Del Sol

Bracebridge, Canada
Level Contributor
556 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
Macdonald Dona Lola vs Club La Costa at Marina Del Sol

Ok Trippers I need your help! I have been religious about reading every review you have written on these resorts. The Mac one is gold crown, the other is silver..The reviews of the silver (Marina del Sol) are stronger and the ratings higher than the Macdonald (TUG). We will be staying a month so this is a major decision. Mac is on the ocean...Marina is ??? just off the ocean?? Marina is a 2 bedroom, Mac a one bedroom. It is just my husband and I so we really don't need 2 bedrooms. I need to book soon so I would Really appreciate your take on the resorts. Which one would YOU go to ...and why? I know I can always depend on Trippers!!

Lake Vinuela...
Level Contributor
9,535 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Macdonald Dona Lola vs Club La Costa at Marina Del Sol

Mac - definitely! Nicer location and better facilties.

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
12,346 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Macdonald Dona Lola vs Club La Costa at Marina Del Sol

Marina Sol is part of a huge Club La Costa resort. There is a little "train" that trundles round the resort. The pools and bars are very nice but not cheap - when we were there in 2006 the service wasn't fantastic at the expensive restaurant and the flamenco show in the other main restaurant was pretty poor. It is near Fuengirola and the Mirimar shopping centre but it is very hilly and is across the road from the beach so you need to go through a very dank underpass to get to it. Having said that we were there in January and it was cold and rainy for some of the time so it might have clouded our view. The apartment was fine, although when they take you around on the sales tour you see the 4 & 5 star ones which are amazing, and costly!

Dona Lola - I've not stayed there but at the other Macdonalds up the road, Leila Playa. They are both good resorts, with beach access, although the beach is not the best on the coast. The facilities at both are very good and you can use both resorts. Across the road is El Zoco with bars and shops and the Strip at Calahonda. I'd prefer Dona Lola myself to the Club La Costa.

Chris

Bracebridge, Canada
Level Contributor
556 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Macdonald Dona Lola vs Club La Costa at Marina Del Sol

You guys are fantastic! You just made our decision...booking MacDonald!! Thanks a million!

Are the beaches not good walking beaches like you might find in Florida?? We're going at the cold time..March...but enjoy walking the shores.

Lake Vinuela...
Level Contributor
9,535 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Macdonald Dona Lola vs Club La Costa at Marina Del Sol

Beaches are long and good for walking but sand is quite dark/clay coloured rather than the gold you may be used to.

Bracebridge, Canada
Level Contributor
556 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Macdonald Dona Lola vs Club La Costa at Marina Del Sol

We just got back from Costa Rica and that is what the sand is like there- very dark and clingy. That is fine with me- so will enjoy the walks!

Well just booked the 4 weeks next March..We have 2 bedrooms first 2 weeks then 2 weeks of a 1 bedroom. Now comes all the planning.I simply love what other people question and then cut and paste all the answers- making a nice booklet for our trip. I save them and when friends go away I give them all the first hand info!

I hope to use bus service to see a lot of places and then once comfortable with how everyone drives..rent a car.

From reports on TA I also looked up taking a train from Paris to Malaga..It is about the same amount of $ as flying but at least we'd see some countryside.

Well will now investigate to see if the bus goes to out of the way smaller towns that I prefer to see.

Scotland
Level Contributor
3,876 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Macdonald Dona Lola vs Club La Costa at Marina Del Sol

Yes, Doña Lola has the edge on Marina del Sol for accommodation, although it is hit and miss if your apartment might have a stunning sea view, or no view at all.

The beach below the complex is poor, and little used, but you can walk west along the shoreline to a much better quality of sand, starting around Leila Playa, and continuing beyond Cabopino.

Have stayed in and visited Doña Lola a few times in recent years, so if you have any questions specific to that resort I'll happily answer them.

Tony.

Bracebridge, Canada
Level Contributor
556 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Macdonald Dona Lola vs Club La Costa at Marina Del Sol

Tony we usually phone the resort prior to going there. Do you have any room numbers or buildings that I might request? Is there a map that is supplied at the resort or is it fairly small? Thanks for the heads up on the beach. "yer already copied and pasted!

Scotland
Level Contributor
3,876 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Macdonald Dona Lola vs Club La Costa at Marina Del Sol

Ask for apartment block Diana, Laura, Vanessa, or Alicia. They are frontline to the beach. The blocks immediately behind them, Sofia and Victoria, are okay, too, as long as you find yourself in a top-floor apartment.

We stayed in the block behind Vanessa and Alicia, (Elizabeth 121), and were blessed with a sea view, too.

Best of luck!

Scotland
Level Contributor
3,876 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Macdonald Dona Lola vs Club La Costa at Marina Del Sol

You should be able to work out where Diana, Laura, Vanessa and Alicia are situated if you insert the following on a Google search.

Carretera+de+Cadiz-Malaga+29649 google map

Bracebridge, Canada
Level Contributor
556 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Macdonald Dona Lola vs Club La Costa at Marina Del Sol

Tony thanks for that site. How truly amazing!I was able to zoom right in and see all buildings quite easily! I have received confirmation as to our location and we are in the same blg where you stayed ..the Elizabeth but ours is ELIZ111. Do these number refer to a floor level so we are on the first floor while you were on the 2nd???