We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitoes

Which Marbella hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Aberdeen
Level Contributor
68 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquitoes

Hi all - Can anyone advise me if mosquitoes are a problem in late August early September in Marbella. Have booked for a trip then and have not been to that location at that particular time of year.

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
11,843 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitoes

There are mozzies around in September, as we've been bitten before. I now take Avon Dry Oil body spray and BugLock wrist bands and citronella oil just in case!

Montejaque, Spain
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitoes

Even though I do not know Marbella very well, I can tell you that mosquitoes are very localised because they do not have a very wide flying range. So what might be true of one location might not be true of another.

We live in a small village with just 1000 inhabitants. Where we live we are never troubled by mosquitoes. People who live 800 metres/yards from us in the same village are plagued with them most nights.

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,843 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitoes

Perhaps the people in the other bit of the village have tastier blood Tony? LOL!

Montejaque, Spain
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitoes

Fee, fye, fo, fum, I smell the blood...you can finish the rest ;-)

Aberdeen
Level Contributor
68 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquitoes

Thank you for the input - usually mossy's don't like my blood - too thin probably but they love my poor husband and he gets eaten alive usually. We are renting an apartment in the old town with aircon so it is really when out and about in the evening indulging in the local restaurants and people watching that I am concerned about. Guess I better get loads of bug stuff although with reference to Tony the tasty blood in question is Scottish so maybe the local mossy will prefer the blood of the nearest poor English victim.

uk
Level Contributor
1,885 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquitoes

im one of those who costantly gets attacked by mozzies, but i went to one of those vitamin health products shops and asked them whhat homeapathic stuff i could take for the problem. they advised garlic tablets, or some other herbal tablets to take. i took the other herbal tablets, cant remember the name of them, but they worked wonders and ive never been bitten since.

you usually have to start taking them everyday about 10 days before you go, then all the time you are there, and honestly, since doing it, ive never been bitten. Apparently it makes you smell less attractive to the mozzies.

uk
Level Contributor
1,885 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mosquitoes

i dont like using sprays because it makes me feel sticky.

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,843 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mosquitoes

Avon's dry oil body spray isn't like a normal spray, it doesn't dry sticky and is really just a moisturiser with anti-mozzie benefits. I was also told once that eating lots of Marmite helps as they don't like it as it contains Vitamin B6, I'd rather take a Vit B6 tablet myself but you can't buy them over the counter anymore in the UK.

Aberdeen
Level Contributor
68 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mosquitoes

Hi folks - maybe eating loads of garlic laced food would work just as well as a garlic tablet and would have the added benefit of keeping most people at a distance too!! So if I joined a queue for something everyone else would pass out with the pong and I would be first. Sadly I don't like Marmite but could force feed my darling husband with loads of vitamin B6 maybe.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
56,651 posts
3,568 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mosquitoes

Friends:

I have read that mosquitoes go to people with a certain natural body perfume.

I have also read that a lavender spray will repel mosquitoes:

ehow.com/how-does_4570450_lavender-oil-keep-…