We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trips from marbella

Which Marbella hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
70 posts
172 reviews
Save Topic
day trips from marbella

We are in Marbella for 4 nights and plan to do a day trip to the Alhambra palace and Granada.

What is a good time to book for the Palace entry? We will be traveling with 2 young kids we are thinking of doing this day trip on our 5 year old's birthday. Anything interesting to bring her birthday in or any other suggestions of places to make her day special.

scotland
Level Contributor
11,606 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: day trips from marbella

You plan to visit both Granada and Alhambra, in one day ,thats a tall order in my opinoin .A trip from Marbella takes a total driving time of 2 hours alone . eg a 13 hr trip doing both

alhambra-granada-tours.com/magical-alhambra-…

scotland
Level Contributor
11,606 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: day trips from marbella

Malagogo , a day trip to the Alhambra palace and Granada.

I still think with a 5yo its a tall order to do both comfortably ?

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
11,688 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: day trips from marbella

Personally, I'd think a 5 year old would prefer a trip to Selwo Aventura safari park at Estepona or to the Bioparc in Fuengirola myself. I think a long journey in a car or a coach to the Alhambra for me would be a bit much. Unless they are interested in Moorish architecture its not really a place to interest young children.

Yarm
Level Contributor
645 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: day trips from marbella

In total agreement with CJ on this - could not see a 5 year old enjoying Granada or the Alhambra especially on his birthday.

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
2,762 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: day trips from marbella

I'm another who agrees with CJ. Small children are not really interested in historical monuments and beautiful landscapes or long journeys. Who hasn't listened to the "are we there yet" scenario and when you get there they ask what it is they have to look at. However they do grow up, they will appreciate adult outings but not until they themselves are adults or near enough.

On one long drive to West Cork our oldest who would have been six at the time (I hasten to add he has Down's Syndrome), spent miles and miles throwing little toys out of a tiny opening in the back window. His dad and I were so tired following a long drive from north of Glasgow to Holyhead for the night rider sailing to Dun Laoghaire followed by another long drive to Clonakilty. Wonderful family holiday on a picture perfect farm but what a journey.

Saludos. Lindsay

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
70 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: day trips from marbella

Thanks guys.

I did mean Alhambra in Granada but more so , walk around the city and not to get into a tour inside the palace.

Walk the place and do lunch at some interesting place. She is very fond of animals so maybe like a park...

Will look up the places CJ, thanks.

We will be in Marbella so anything around upto an hour's drive or so sounds good.

Our kids are peaceful with driving... have done may trips with them but ya anything more than 3 hrours is tiring on a day trip.

scotland
Level Contributor
11,606 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: day trips from marbella

1 hr away is Ronda turismoderonda.es/informacion/…multimedia.htm if you feel the need to see something spectacular ,the roads are windy but the views are stunning.

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
2,762 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: day trips from marbella

Yes Ronda is lovely we visited last October. The son I mentioned above is now 24, he thoroughly enjoyed our day there, although his best memories are probably the pizza for lunch sitting outside a café just off of Plaza de Socorro and the ice cream he was bribed with later. For me it was the whole place, the plazas, the views, the buildings ...... we will probably return when we have our autumn holiday in Olvera, although this year Antequera is on my list of places not yet visited.

Saludos. Lindsay

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
5,063 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: day trips from marbella

Lindsay,

You will love Antequera.

As for the OP, as much as I can understand your desire to see the Alhambra, if your 5 years old is like mine all he wants to do is play, play again, and when he is tired, play one last time before sleeping.

I am in total agreement with fellow posters above, there are wonderful things to do with a 5 years old in Marbella's vicinity.

Give a look to Selwo Aventura, Selwo Marina, Fuengirola Bioparc Zoo, and the like.

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
2,762 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: day trips from marbella

Thanks Mac. I've got my arrangements all made for the whole of July and October, just the car hires to attend to. Summer tends to be a bit more lazy but while I am in Chiclana I am going to take a trip down to Bolonia to see the Roman artefacts on the beach and perhaps another day in Cádiz itself, last year we went when the Tall Ships were in port. Olvera the second half of July I am going to go back to Teba but this time visit El Castillo de Estrella which I missed out on last year. October in Olvera is when I get to do more exploring since it is a bit cooler, and this year in addition to Antequera I am going to do the local thing and get to the top of El Castillo Árabe in Olvera itself.

Saludos. Lindsay