We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandy beach on Costa del Sol

Canada
Level Contributor
400 posts
Save Topic
Sandy beach on Costa del Sol

Hi, we are planning a family vacation at the end of June and want to spend a couple of days on the beach at CDS. After reading numerous reviews I am inclined to stay at Marbella or Puerto Banus, but not sure if the beaches there are sandy or stone? Could you please advise where the nicest sandy beaches at CDS are? Thanks a lot!

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
12,089 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sandy beach on Costa del Sol

Most beaches on the CDS are sandy, even if its imported. Some will have greyer sand than others but the best ones we've been to are:

Marbella

La Cala

Puerto Cabopino (our favourite)

Fuengirola

Torremolinos

Benalmadena

Estepona

Some of the small beach areas have quite grey sand (Sitio de Calahonda, Riviera del Sol) but they are all clean beaches which is the main thing.

Canada
Level Contributor
400 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandy beach on Costa del Sol

OK, so nothing to worry about. I found a post where a person mentions stones at the beach in Marbella and started worring that it's like a beach in Nice.Thank you.

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
12,089 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sandy beach on Costa del Sol

The beach in the main part of Marbella is definitely sand! A lot of the beaches along the coast which don't have imported sand are a bit grey but as I said they are very clean and not a problem for most people. Now if it were Tenerife! LOL! I have a problem sitting on the black sand and prefer to seek the man made beaches of Los Cristianos and Playa de las Americas but luckily there's nothing like black sand on the CDS.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
58,482 posts
3,578 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sandy beach on Costa del Sol

Karina:

I suggest you stay near downtown Marbella instead of Puerto Banus. Puerto Banus is much more expensive than downtown Marbella.

Good hotels near downtown Marbella are El Fuerte and the Melia Don Pepe, both on the beach.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
5,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sandy beach on Costa del Sol

One has to admit that our beaches may not be Caribbean, but by any means are rocky like those in Nice.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
58,482 posts
3,578 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sandy beach on Costa del Sol

MACPollo:

I think you mean that they are not rocky like Nice.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
5,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sandy beach on Costa del Sol

That's what I meant, yes :)

London
Level Contributor
468 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sandy beach on Costa del Sol

I always bring a pair of those jelly swimming sandal things as there's usually some stones to navigate at the waters edge which making getting in and out of the sea a bit of a pain, and the sand can get very hot underfoot! My favourite bit of Marbella beach is in between the Marbella Club and the Punto Romano Hotels as its very well kept. Another nice patch is the beach club for the Don Pepe Hotel, you can rent nice loungers and parasols and the hotel has a really stylish cafe up on the Paseo called Cappuchino where you can have a nice spot of lunch, coffees and drinks whilst listening to chilled beats. In fact the music is so good you can buy their CD's!

9. Re: Sandy beach on Costa del Sol

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2015, 07:19