We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Evening arrival in September at Malaga Airport

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
91 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Evening arrival in September at Malaga Airport

We will be arriving around 8pm at Malaga at the end of September. My question is will it be dark by then or still daylight? We will be hiring a car and as we have never been to the area before wonder if it will be easy to find our way from the Airport to Marbella at this time. Does anyone have easy directions to get to Marbella and how long it will take. Thanks in advance for any help.

Woking, United...
Level Contributor
6,723 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Evening arrival in September at Malaga Airport

Hi there

At the end of September it gets dark between 8pm and 8.15pm so by the time you get through customs it will most likely be dark, yes.

The easiest way is to do a route planner on-line OR use something like this: malagaairport.eu/airport/driving-directions.… - some car hires have Sat Nav or I'm sure you can request one - this may be easier still if you think you'll have trouble.

Once you get out on to the main road it's very straight forward.

However, if you don't "need" to hire a car then personally I wouldn't, the public transport network here is fantastic, safe, cheap and reliable.

Have fun :)

Torre del Mar, Spain
Level Contributor
2,964 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Evening arrival in September at Malaga Airport

I think that time of year it is still light, though having said that, by time you get your luggage, get your car, etc it may be dark. But the area is well lit as are the roads.

Coming out of the airport you want to head left (right is towards the ocean) to the E15 / A7, which leads to the AP7, which is a toll road. Not expensive but you will need some euros.

Take the road in the direction of Fuengirola , Marbella, Estepona and Algeciras (Gibraltar).

It is about 45 minutes driving time. TAKE YOUR TIME.

You can "travel" along the roads and around Marbella with Google streetview, which will probably show your accommodation too.

Woking, United...
Level Contributor
6,723 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Evening arrival in September at Malaga Airport

It is definitely dark around that time, hence why I said it :) So be prepared for headlights lol - but as I've said, it;'s a straightforward journey and if you use one of the on-line resources they are designed for the tourist in mind so make things very easy to follow - have a browser, there's plenty out there!

Actually, you'll probably find the Car Hire company will give you a map or maps.

Approx 35 minutes, but depends where abouts in Marbs you are staying.

Good luck, and do let us know how you got on :)

Edited: 10 March 2014, 21:01
Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
91 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Evening arrival in September at Malaga Airport

Cheers MKB I thought it may be dark. Will have to do some route planning before we go. We do need a car as plan to visit Ronda, Seville, Granada and Cordoba and probably some more.

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
91 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Evening arrival in September at Malaga Airport

Hi Kaneda, thanks very much for this information, will be very useful. Do we need to take the toll road or can we take the coast road, is the toll road easier and more straightforward?

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
91 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Evening arrival in September at Malaga Airport

Thanks once again, will bear all you have said in mind and will come back to the forum in October to let everyone know how we enjoyed our trip.

Woking, United...
Level Contributor
6,723 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Evening arrival in September at Malaga Airport

You're welcome :)

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
62,618 posts
3,724 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Evening arrival in September at Malaga Airport

Maggie:

Get a rental car with a GPS and this will make it easy to go to Marbella. After passing by Torremolinos you have a choice of taking the toll road AP7 or the old A7 road. I suggest taking the toll road because it is safer and shorter. The old A7 follows the coast and takes much longer to reach Marbella, and also is not very safe.

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
91 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Evening arrival in September at Malaga Airport

Hi Benny,

thanks for the advice will definitely take the toll road as already suggested, why is the other road not safe as a matter of interest?

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
3,045 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Evening arrival in September at Malaga Airport

I'm curious too about the old A-7 not being safe. I use both the A-7 and the AP-7 and my friend who lives on the western side of Estepona uses the old A-7 daily and late into the evening. I draw a line at driving home to Olvera from the coast after dark as I don't fancy either the road from San Pedro de Alcántara or the Genal Valley road after dark although the road via Teba would be okay.

Lindsay

Edited: 11 March 2014, 09:22