We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxis in Marbella - mafia? Appalling

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Taxis in Marbella - mafia? Appalling

I was told the taxis in Marbella were tighter than the mafia

Having come from Sevilla with over 1200 taxis, all sweet and would fearful, I couldn't believe it.

Until after dinner in Marbella Piucaro ( very nice restaurant ) we tried to rake a cab to the hotel on Easter Sunday when they would not take us four adults and a four year old

When I said that was stupid the driver threw us out of the can, the four year old crying and told his colleague next in line not to take us, by that time we were only three(one started walking)

I had to threaten to write town hall and put my 15 year old niece, 4 year old traumatized nephew and sister in law in the cab and walked too. Nice. No?

Three hundred cabs in Marbella and they all run the service like a mafia. It was appalling

I'll never come back. Rather go to Sevilla.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
58,482 posts
3,578 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxis in Marbella - mafia? Appalling

Most taxis seat only 4 people.

Woking, United...
Level Contributor
6,723 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxis in Marbella - mafia? Appalling

It's nothing to do with them being like the Mafia, it's to do with the safety laws of carriage I would think, and 4 adults and a child of 4 years old is too many people!

They are like most companies who work closely together a "close knit" group, and understandably so.

They are well within their rights to refuse to take you.

Of course, write to the Ayuntamiento, but I doubt you'll get anywhere, I would think they'll just respond (that is if they do) and say that the maximum number of people is 4 and the driver was in his right to refuse you.

Why didn't you just split up and take two taxi's?

Liverpool
Level Contributor
484 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxis in Marbella - mafia? Appalling

Mafia? Appalling? Seriously?

The law will only allow 4 people in a standard taxi unless you get a larger people carrier. You had 5 people so how can you expect to get into a taxi licensed only for 4 people?

Maybe you should be grateful to the taxi driver for refusing you as you may not have been insured should anything go wrong and an accident happened.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
5,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxis in Marbella - mafia? Appalling

I'm sorry to say that I totally disagree with your comments towards Marbella's taxi drivers, in line with the rest of the fellow posters here.

Regular taxis are not allowed by law to carry more than four persons (it doesn't matter if one of the persons is a small child). The potential fine (or prison ticket if a serious accident occurs) is not for you but for the taxi driver, who is, we shouldn't forget, a worker who surely doesn't make enough money to afford a holiday abroad.

I don't know whether the taxi driver didn't show courtesy to you and your family and politely refused to carry you, in which case he could be blamed of being rude, but not "Mafia", or if it was the other way around, in which case I totally support him.

I find it funny that some people moan all the time of we Spanish being too 'flexible' interpreting traffic laws and when someone is respectful of such laws he gets criticized as well.

Cardiff, United...
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxis in Marbella - mafia? Appalling

Sorry you had a bad experience but our experience of Marbella taxis has been the opposite.

We have had an apartment in Marbella for 10 years and have always had excellent service. If you call a taxi from our complex it will arrive before you can get to the gate and it will be waiting.

None of our rental guests have reported any problems.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
5,839 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxis in Marbella - mafia? Appalling

The only thing that was "tight" was the OP, too tight to pay for the legally required two taxis.

7. Re: Taxis in Marbella - mafia? Appalling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 April 2015, 05:16