We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fuengirola Or Benalmadena

stockport
Level Contributor
508 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Fuengirola Or Benalmadena

Which of the two resorts would you choose with two children ages 11 & 6

Ian
Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
11,318 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fuengirola Or Benalmadena

I would vote for Benalmadena, more things for young children to do in the area, vast array of eating places and a lot nearer to the airport. Returned to the area for the first time in 10 years this year, investment in benalmadena area was vast, fuengirola looked tired and very dirty.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
483 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fuengirola Or Benalmadena

We didn't stay in Fuengirola, but went there for a day & didn't find it dirty. Wherever you stay, be sure to go to the Fuengirola Zoo. It's right on the edge of the downtown area & is very new. The kids will love it!

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
4,779 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fuengirola Or Benalmadena

Definitely Fuengirola. There is a good waterpark, the beach is much better than Benalmadena and the town is more accessible. It is flat walking to everywhere. Benalmadena is very hilly and it is on at least two levels, the beach and then Arroyo where the nightlife and Tivoli World is). When they get a bit older you can let them loose on the Port bars and clubs or twenty four hour square but at that age Fuengirola is more family oriented - although it has its moments.

If you get fed up then the train gets you outside both Tivoli and Pirates World or into Torremolinos or Malaga very easily and there is a good bus service along the coast to Cabopino and Marbella.

New Brunswick
Level Contributor
269 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Fuengirola Or Benalmadena

I'll give a strong second to manazana's advice. And you can walk some of the side streets along the beach area and get the sense of a Spanish village, more so than in Benalmadena Costa.

Benalmadena
Level Contributor
65 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fuengirola Or Benalmadena

It depends what you want to do with the children, alot of hotels have good kids clubs, if you search in google Im sure ull find one.

I personally prefer Benalmadena as a holiday resort even though I spend a lot of time in Fuengirola.

Also in Benalmadena there is tivoli world, selwo, paloma park & the marina where, depending on the time of year there is sometimes things like ice skating.

Anyway best of look, but Id advice towards benalmadena

Benalmadena Pueblo
Level Contributor
747 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Fuengirola Or Benalmadena

You have not said what time of the year you will be travelling, but assuming you will be hitting the Costa from May onwaards, most attractions will be open. Apart from the beaches for which Fuengirola has the slight edge, Fuengirola has a large water park, a compact but surprisingly good zoo, and a frequent bus service along the coast and up to Mijas pueblo for the donkey rides etc.

Benalmadena Costa has the Sealife centre at the Marina, and Paloma Park with it's lake full of birds & terrapins, chickens and rabbits roaming everywhere, and Selwo within the park has one of the best dolphin shows I have ever seen. The Arroyo part of Benalmadena has Tivoli World Theme Park, much upgraded by the new owners, and the cable car station for rides up the mountain top for views and the falconry displays. I think Benalmademna has the most attractions, but as the two towns are so close together, pick a hotel along the coastal strip and get the best of both worlds.

7. Re: Fuengirola Or Benalmadena

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 19:18