We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fisrt time x

Leeds, West...
Level Contributor
475 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
fisrt time x

we have booked flights to go to Malaga on sep 11th and coming over for a week. Feb This year we visiting Nerga which we loved and visited quite a few places but we are thinking of staying in Torremolinos this time.

Can you let me know of any good deals on bus passes you can get thinking of visiting all the diffrent resorts when we are there and possibley doing ronda etc is it singular bus fares that you get

any recommendations on things we could do

And what is Torremolinos like i know it will be busy but does it have tapas bars and is it expensive to drink there Please help x x sorry alot of questions

Lake Vinuela...
Level Contributor
9,535 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: fisrt time x

Torremolinos is a great place to stay - and absolutely nothing like it is presented by the British press.

Over 70% of visitors are Spanish so YES there are excellent Tapas Bars and most places are cheaper than in Nerja.

The beaches are lovely and there are regular bus services to places such as Mijas Pueblo, Marbella and Ronda. There is a half hourly train service down to Fuengirola in one direction and Malaga city in the other. Both bus and train fares are very cheap.

I know there is a bus pass available but have never used it.

Leeds, West...
Level Contributor
475 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: fisrt time x

wow its sounds great i am so glad it as a spanish feel my worst fear was it been to British. Loved Nerga alot and loved the tapas bars and the fact its cheaper well thats even better. When we go in sep 11th is that just coming out of season or will the prices be height of the season. Thanks for your post just getting a little to do list together and your help really helps thanks xx

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
4,917 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: fisrt time x

Don't be too laid back about accommodation. early September is really popular in Torremolinos so get it sorted quickly.

Then get back here because there is a lot of Torremolinos and there isn't any point in mentioning restaurants and tapas bars until we know where you are although there are some good ones in the town centre.

there is a train pass for the over 60s but I thinnk it is for resident tourists and if you are here for a week not worth bothering with. As an indication of fares a friend of mine went from Alora vis Malaga to Fuengirola, which he thinks is about 100 kms each way, for 2.60 euros return.>I know he was telling the truth because we went to visit on Sunday and it was that from Los Alamos to Alora, which is only a little bit shorter. With a journey time of about an hour you wonder why anyone hires a car.

Leeds, West...
Level Contributor
475 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: fisrt time x

do you now anything about the Kristal hotel its got some mixed reviews on here but it ticks our boxes for it been cheap x

Ian
Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
11,483 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: fisrt time x

Apart from being in the centre cant help with Kristal hotel. However, you can purchase a bus pass for 1.80 euro's, you then load it with a sum of money to reflect your spent, say 10 euro's, 20 etc. With the card bus journeys cost 85 cents instead of 1.35 so quite a saving. Any number of people can use the same pass, and you just reload it with money, your bus ticket tells you remaining left on card, you can retain your card for your next visit to the area if you want, they dont run out. The over 60's train pass is also available, but you must apply in person. You can use your bus pass on the local train, but no discount is given, you pay full fare.

From Torre the local bus goes all the way down the coast to marbella, and the train to malaga in one direction and fuengirola in the other. Obviously from Malaga you can get the bus/train to any number of places. Malaga is a must to visit.

Leeds, West...
Level Contributor
475 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: fisrt time x

Thanks Ian Leeds ... yeah we went to Malaga in feb defo will go back interesting about the bus pass thanks for that .. we have booked the hotel kristal its got mixed reviews but we dont want no 5 star just somewhere where we can sleep and get a wash dont have to be fancy and for the price we have paid we wont grumble if its not thats great

40 sleeps to go now cant wait x thanks Michelle Leeds

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
4,917 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: fisrt time x

The last time I asked about the bus pass I was told by the transport people that you can only do this in Malaga Alameda although even they weren't quite sure whether you could do it Benalmadena. They were clear you couldn't do it in Torremolinos. For the train discount you have to buy a card (tarjeta dorada) which costs 5.05 euros and this gives you 40% discount Monday to Thursday and 25% the rest of the week.. You can get this at Torremolinos station but is it really worth it for a one week stay? the ordinary fares are really cheap and it is supposed to be a holiday not a lesson in dealing with Spanish bureaucracy.

As for tapas. At the top of the steps going down to the beach is a very popular tapas bar always packed with Spanish. From the Kristal if you walk down Calle San Miguel and turn left at the road, about 50 metres along is a newish precinct where Matahambre is. On Saturday evening there wasn't a spare seat anywhere there. Around the precinct and opposite are also some good tapas bars.

Almost in the Kristal is a Torremolinos institution of a seafood tapas bar.It's on the main road. You can't miss that.

what to do depends on your age.

catch the train to Arroyo de la Miel and go up the mountain

Train too to Malaga

Shopping, restaurants and cinema in English in Plaza Mayor

Go for a walk along the paseo direction Malaga and sample the beach bars of Los Alamos - everyone goes to Carihuela but take lots of money it's expensive. los Alamos is ignored by the tourists (mostly) and very Spanish but they are mostly under 40.

I suppose you could always relax on the beach!!!

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,728 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: fisrt time x

You can buy the bus cards at the Bus Kiosk by Plaza Solymar in Benalmádena (outside Benalmádena main Tourist Info Centre). They are good if you intend to travel by bus a bit as the savings are so good, and (unlike Oyster Cards in London) you don't need one each - two people will save the initial €1.80 in two short journeys.

They are valid on all the buses between Málaga and Fuengirola/Mijas etc. that pass through Torremolinos, but not on the Torrie local L1 or L2, or the longer distance coaches to Marbella etc.

It's SO annoying that they don't sell them at Torrie Bus Station, but Torrie Ayuntamiento isn't part of the consortium because of arguments over the funding of the L1 and L2.

They can be topped up in various places in Benalmádena, Fuengirola and Málaga (many of the Tabacs do it) but again, NOWHERE in Torrie!

Es loco!

Leeds, West...
Level Contributor
475 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: fisrt time x

thanks again NoSoyGuiri x much much appreciated

Leeds, West...
Level Contributor
475 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: fisrt time x

Thanks manzana .... everyone is been so helpful on here we will be really busy when we get there i am copying and pasting alot of things that you and other people have mentioned and then when the time comes i will print it out take it with us and it will be our to do list x x thanks again