We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cheap beer and what we thought of Torre x x

Leeds, West...
Level Contributor
475 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
cheap beer and what we thought of Torre x x

A bit late my post but after all my help I received before I left I only felt it right to write a review. Well this was my second time in Spain and we stayed at the Hotel Kristal ( I have left a review on TA ) about the stay there which I must stress was very nice I was a bit worried after such negative reviews about the hotel but we loved it and could not fault it one bit it was cheap as chips, but very clean and the food was nice it was not 5 star food but for the price we could not fault it it made me laugh people grumbling because they wanted a full English fry up ….

Getting to torre is so easy and cheap it cost us just over 1 euro each on the train and could not be easier

Torre it self was nice loved La Carihuela it was so lovely and we walked down there quite a lot the square that is hidden behind the main strech near the school is nice for a cheap beer 2 euros a pint and you get to sit on the main square and people watch. Our fave places were a lovely café / bar just at the top of the stairs in torre. As you walk down to the beach its opp the lovely fish tappas on the corner and a shop that as lots of paintings outside once you hit the stairs its right opposite you I have forgot what its called but again 2 euros and lovely staff it’s a hidden gem the views are amazing and you just sit and dream away you also get a massive helping of popcorn too with your drink which after a few drinks gets too much. At the bottom of the stairs at the bottom of the main street just as you get to the sea on your right hand side is a place called EL Derado …. its up a flight of steps …. Its family run and the food is amazing we had tapas lots of times and it was so cheap we paid 1 euro for some of the tapas and they were devine a defo must Spanish run great staff and cheap I really miss El derado and would of gone there every night which we nearly did ohh and 2 euros a pint

1 euro pint beers can be found in Benalmadena there are lots of bars on the main road where the bus goes and proper pint glasses we had a meal at one of the places …. 2 home cooked meals and 2 pints was 7 euros for both great value

We also went to Gibralter for a day trip … Did not enjoy I found Gibralter very run down very expensive and the best bit was the rock and driving up to it and leaving the place sorry but that’s my opinion and the opinion of quite a lot of people that have been.

Mijas was lovely even thou 4.75 euro for a beer was not my idea of fun and we had a tapas there which was so expensive

Would I go to torre again YES I would it was a cheap break away and we had a lovely time very touristy and british in parts but we knew this but loved our stay

X Michelle Leeds

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,728 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cheap beer and what we thought of Torre x x

Glad that you enjoyed yourselves and found some of the (non not so hidden!) places that many of us pop into from time-to-time!

Totally agree with you regarding Gib., by the way, and yet people moan when I warn them it's a long day out for not very much fun.

bolton uk
Level Contributor
411 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cheap beer and what we thought of Torre x x

glad to hear you had a brill time

we love the place, and go 3 or 4 times a year (we are back there in 3 weeks)

we have a mate living nr the airport. and meet up most days for a few beers.

and he drags us off to places we would never go

its fantastic for us ,

will have a read of what you think of the kristal,cos of most the postings

we have always give it a miss

Edited: 19 October 2010, 18:41
Yarm
Level Contributor
645 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cheap beer and what we thought of Torre x x

Thanks for that review Michelle. Never stayed at the Kristal but know the places you have been to and your description " took me there" ( for a few minutes anyway). We normally stay in Mijas and I was sorry to read you'd been ripped off with your expensive beer. I hope you enjoyed it! It is pricier there in some places than on the coast - the only advice i can give is to walk away from the bus stop a little while - we pay about 1.50 for a half - 1.75 tops.

We first started off going to Benalmadena about 12/13 years ago and have been going to that area every year - at least once- tand love wandering and finding new places a bit different from the norm. You seem to have found them in your second visit -really glad you enjoyed the trip.

Edited: 19 October 2010, 20:41
Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,728 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cheap beer and what we thought of Torre x x

Hotel Kristal:

< I must stress was very nice I was a bit worried after such negative reviews about the hotel but we loved it and could not fault it one bit it was cheap as chips, but very clean and the food was nice it was not 5 star food but for the price we could not fault it it made me laugh people grumbling because they wanted a full English fry up ….>

Michelle hits the nail on the head here, one of the problems with the review system is that it takes no account of expectations.

I have actually stayed a couple of nights in the Kristal (due to family invasion of my house). Being right in the centre of Torrie Town it doesn't have gardens, pool, spectacular views etc., but as Michelle says it is very clean and the rooms are surprisingly spacious. The staff are great and very friendly. It can be a bit noisy for those who want an early night as you are not far from the Nog, but you can close the windows as it has aircon.

Rooftop bar as well (which I've used since as a sneaky escape for some R & R when Calle San Miguel is very busy).

A great place for a short break, possibly not for a week or two due to lack of pool etc.

I paid €23 per night for B & B - what's not to like?

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
5,165 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cheap beer and what we thought of Torre x x

Some reviews are like a joke.

How can someone's expectations be the sky and beyond when you have paid 23 euros for a room... I would be happy to have a bed without bugs if I dared to pay such a ridiculously low amount in any major city such as Madrid or London (OMG I sill remember the first hotels I stayed at in London in the 90's at 40 pounds a night).

Leeds, West...
Level Contributor
475 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cheap beer and what we thought of Torre x x

wish i was back there now .. with this icy weather we have in the UK

Vivaespana shame we never found the places you mentioned when we was in Mijas we just went to the first one i am sure if we would of stayed there a bit longer we would of located the bargains in the end .. MIJAS what views that place had

The Kristal as alot of feedback ( thanks nosuyguri for your feedback ) which i am glad it as because it desrves a bit of praise and not the bad reviews it gets

23 euros b and b is expensive to what we paid we did 7 nights and paid just 120 euros each for 7 nights half board which is ridiculously cheap and would not fault it

I wish i was back there now x M

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,728 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cheap beer and what we thought of Torre x x

€120 for 7 nights half-board? I feel positively ripped-off!

:-)

That's a VERY good deal indeed.

8. Re: cheap beer and what we thought of Torre x x

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 April 2011, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Torremolinos