We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting a doctor for anti biotics

Which Torremolinos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
glasgow
Level Contributor
316 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting a doctor for anti biotics

My friend is staying at the melia costa del sol and has been told that she would need to call a doctor to the hotel rather than visit one. The pharmacy gave her this information? Any ideas?

Aguadulce, Spain
Destination Expert
for Almeria, Province of Almeria, Province of Almeria
Level Contributor
970 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting a doctor for anti biotics

They will presume she will be doing it via holiday insurance, private doctors visit the hotels. Antibiotics need a prescription. If she has a EHIC card then she also can go to a national health GP or national health clinic for free.

Centro de Salud La Carihuela

Address: Calle Nerja, 7

La Carihuela

29620 Torremolinos

Telephone: 902 50 50 60

I understand some staff speak English there.

glasgow
Level Contributor
316 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting a doctor for anti biotics

Thanks for that. She forgot to apply for her ehic card unfortunately. I will pass the info on to her.

3. Re: Visiting a doctor for anti biotics

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 26 June 2013, 23:39
Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
4,515 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting a doctor for anti biotics

No European Health Card means a private doctor. The clinica Naranjos used to be opposite the old bus station but I can't be sure it is still there. The big local hospital is Clinica Santa Elena in Los Alamos. You can walk there along the seafront and up Avda Riviera but it is about 3 kms.

From Torremolinos centre either catch the train to Los Alamos and the clinic is about 100 metres from the station on the side away from the sea. or catch a 110 bus and get of at the Hotel Los Alamos,(stop after la Colina)and walk down Avda Riviera - the main road to the sea - and it is first on the left. They have an emergency department at the side entrance and the main entrance has doctors on duty until 1.00.

grimsby lincs
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting a doctor for anti biotics

how can you forget to apply for a ehic when its the one thing you are advised to take along with your insurance in case of emergencies . the mind boggles

Ian
Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
10,894 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting a doctor for anti biotics

She can apply for her EHIC card on line today and then claim any medical expenses on her return, or on her insurance, less the excess of course on the policy. We found the doctors fees and three lot of drugs last year did not add up to greater then our insurance access (£50)

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
11,758 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting a doctor for anti biotics

If she does go on line and order one today, make sure its the proper NHS website and not the ones that charge money.

glasgow
Level Contributor
316 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting a doctor for anti biotics

Thanks for your advice and the odd bit of mind boggling. I have passed on the information.

Aguadulce, Spain
Destination Expert
for Almeria, Province of Almeria, Province of Almeria
Level Contributor
970 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting a doctor for anti biotics

Some insurance companies will only pay out if you have an EHIC, have tried to use it and have been refused.

IE; they cover travel, theft etc. but only cover medical events that are not already covered by EHIC. That's the whole reason they advise you take both EHIC & holiday insurance, as opposed to one or the other. Its in the paperwork, is widely publicised, and almost everyone knows that. I think that's why some find the above 'Mind boggling'.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,452 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting a doctor for anti biotics

I rather think the friend of the OP was relying on the fact that pharmacies USED to be able to give out antibiotics without a doctor prescribing them . This is not now the case .

Why would anyone be put out that they had to call a private doctor to the hotel ? That's what travel insurance is for ?

Incidentally I would have thought that the Melia would have a doctor visiting it daily anyway.