We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weather at Christmas

Vancouver, British...
Level Contributor
381 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
weather at Christmas

Hi,

Will be visiting Torremolinos on December 26th, what type of weather can I expect? Would it be feasible to wear shorts and

t-shirts during the day and then pants and a light jacket in the evening?

Thank you to those who respond.

Lake Vinuela...
Level Contributor
9,535 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: weather at Christmas

For the last 4 Christmas Days we have had drinks round the pool in shirts + teeshirts.

However, the weather is very unpredictable late December/early Jan so you will need to cover all eventualities in your wardrobe. Can be very windy.

You will need a heavy coat for night time as temperatures plummet as soon as the sun goes down about 5 p.m. - feels really cold after pleasant 60 odd degrees of the day.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: weather at Christmas

My parents live near Malaga, I've visited almost every month. Spent a month there Dec / Jan (for Christmas / New Year), aside from Christmas Day which was a wonderful 72oF the rest of my stay was freezing and my unlined trench coat just didn't cut it. I ended up borrowing a down parka, hat, scarf and gloves from my folks. Considering I'm used to Arctic type temperatures here in Canada I was surprised to feel SO cold in Spain.

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
2,537 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: weather at Christmas

The weather on the Costa Del Sol has changed considerably over the last few years. It is now much colder in the winter months, unbelievably so. It has even snowed on the coast, unheard of some years back.

Even when the sun shines it is not that strong & the wind chill is very high.

You may be lucky and catch a warm spell, but I would take plenty of warm clothing, sweaters for the daytimes and a cold for nights.

Also when making reservations for accommodation make sure you get central heating or some other efficient form of heating. The mornings are particularly cold & remember that all floors in Spain are tiled so bring slippers!

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
2,537 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: weather at Christmas

PS. That should read............ a warm coat for nights"

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: weather at Christmas

Ah yes, how could I forget.........the only heating my parents had was a wood burning fireplace, they recently invested in two electric fires, one for each bedroom. Mum insisted on keeping their hot water bottles from England........so glad she did.

Where they live the newest hotels (not many of them yet) do have heating in some form, the older hotels don't. Some places have tiles half way or all the way up the walls as well as on the floors......tiles are not great for retaining heat and make the bathrooms so chilly.

They have a swimming pool in their garden, they usually don't get to use it until the end of April (if Spring is unusually warm) or half way through May.

Having said all that the Christmas period in Southern Spain is brilliant, New Year is even better. They really know how to "Fiesta."

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
2,537 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: weather at Christmas

.....we even have electric blankets on our beds in Spain & use them for at least 3 months of the winter!

So saying, like Londonlass, you can't beat the Xmas/New Year celebrations in Spain, we wouldn't miss it.

7. Re: weather at Christmas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2009, 06:26