We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Torremolinos station

Sutton in Ashfield...
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Torremolinos station

Is there a lift at Torremolinos station, or an escalator? If the later, how many steps to access? I have reduced mobility, and use a walking aid, so a lot of stairs would be a problem.

Torremolinos, Spain
Level Contributor
196 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Torremolinos station

Torremolinos Central station has no lift and an unreliable upward only escalator.

There are other more "user friendly" stations for other parts of Torremolinos.

K

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
4,787 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Torremolinos station

The escalator only applies to trains arriving from Málaga direction. From Fuengirola direction there is a short flight of steps, I haven't counted but would guess twenty to thirty.

If you are trying to access the station, either direction, you have to descend a long flight of steps. To access Málaga direction there is then a further long flight down to get to the corridor under the track and then a long flight up to the platform.

The escalator isn't often out of action but s**ds law!

There is a perfectly adequate bus service into Málaga and one to Fuengirola. There is also a good but less frequent bus service to the airport but a taxi would be only 15 to 20 euros.

There are four other stations in Torremolinos so it depends where you plan to stay. The Bajondillo ones (Los Álamos and La Colina) are nearer to a variety of hotels than the Montemar and El Pinillo ones which are set back further from the beach. Only Los Álamos has flat roads to the beach areas, all the others involve hills.

Torremolinos station is decrepit with broken glass outside, old dirty steps and flooring, tiles missing from the walls and generally very run down. Vast sums were spent on all the other stations on the line but Torremolinos has had nothing spent on it when there were millions allocated for the line improvements.

Ian
Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Torremolinos station

The station has unfortunately a very long and steep staircase. As manzana says I would estimate nearer 30 then 20. Certainly far to many for my partner and I to climb. Even three years ago when we would attempt we had to relie on locals to carry our cases up to street level if the escalator was out. (which it always seems to be)

The issue with the other station that manzana lists is that there are no taxi ranks outside, so no good if you have walking difficulties.

If you need the centre of Torremolinos the best bet is the bus, takes only 25 minutes and calls at the main hotels on the east of Torremolinos, worth waiting and having a cup of coffee.

A taxi from the airport will be less then 20 euros, cuts out all the hassle.

Woking, United...
Level Contributor
6,723 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Torremolinos station

I would agree with Ian, if you have mobility issues it can be a struggle as it is, without including luggage in the equation - taxi would be the way forward IMO.

It's about time that such a main resort such as Torremolinos spent some money on the Train and Bus Station as they are woefully outdated and not customer friendly at all.

The public transport system itself is excellent, it's just the two stations mentioned badly need sorting out.

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
4,787 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Torremolinos station

two stations? which is the other one'

Also if desperate there is a taxi rank about 50 metres from Los Alamos station but bus is best.

Ian
Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Torremolinos station

Torremolinos bus station a total joke, as the one way system means impossible for all buses travelling east to call at the bus station and transfer passengers have to struggle to walk and find the bus station, especially as the driver only calls out the Centro stop, you have to have local knowledge to know the closest stop to the bus station.

The area around the bus station is being cleaned up and some of my favourite tapas bars are now in this area.

Cant understand why they dont put lifts in the train station, you have a large empty plaza above the underground station, in my simple mind just a need for a few big holes to be dug on each platform.

This station must break every rule with regard to disabled passengers accessing a public place.

West Midlands...
Level Contributor
2,612 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Torremolinos station

Ian is 'Centro' classed as the bus station, or is there an actual 'station' further on, we always get off/on at Centro..x

I agree there is plenty of space to put in lift at the 'Train' station, we are not in favour of Torre Train station one bit, its so old and grubby..x

Edited: 14 March 2014, 16:14
Woking, United...
Level Contributor
6,723 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Torremolinos station

<<two stations? which is the other one'>> I was referring to both the Bus Station and the Train Station.

Sutton in Ashfield...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Torremolinos station

Thank you all so much for the information, we are staying at Torremolinos Centro hotel, so thought train would be best bet, but obviously not! We will take your advice and get there by taxi. Thanks once again.

Ian
Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Torremolinos station

Centro is not the nearest stop to the bus station that is the following stop, annoys me when the driver advices people with cases to get off at the Centro stop. Going e4ast no actual bus station, calls only on buses going west.