We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crime

Which Torremolinos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bangor
Level Contributor
145 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Crime

My wife made the mistake of watching this TV programme called Costa Del Crime. She is now of the opinion there is a murder, robbery or mugging every 100 yards from the Marina at Benalmadena to TMO town centre.

I have never had a problem over the 5 visits I have made to the CDS over the years.

Anyone agree with her, or where we just lucky. I am normally in bed by midnight anyway.

Ian
Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
10,811 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crime

Not sure which programme this was, but a lot of the programmes on crime in the CDS were shot over 10 years ago.

Have to say compared with 40 years ago crime levels are now at the lowest I can ever remember. In the 70/80's bag snatching was happening every minute literally, you could not put your bag down before someone removed it.

Nowadays whilst it still happens you only here of isolated instances.

I will be 70 on my next visit and certainly in the areas of heavy footfall like the marina area, 24 hr square etc I have no issues about walking about 24/7. We often walk back to Torremolinos along the paseo in the early hours without a care and in the other direction walking back from the Los Alamos area back to the carihuela.

Remember in Spain eating out is after 10pm in summer, we dont go out until 9.30pm and return 2/3 am.

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,188 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crime

The television programes like to exaggerate . A program showing places to be low on crime and safe wouldn`t make exciting viewing.

I am sure there is crime in Spain ., as everywhere else. If you listen to it you would never dare get out of bed. Then you would get bed sores that turn sceptic and kill you ! !

Graham

Woking, United...
Level Contributor
6,723 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crime

LOL Graham - true enough!

To put things in perspective, any violent crime when and if it occurs has happened within the confines of the 24 hour square between 2am and 7am - times when you guys may well be back at your place as you say.

I've lived there for 6 years and worked in the 24 hour square for 4 of those and sure, you might get a few handbag incidents as we like to call them but nothing dissimilar to that of your local town centre when you have a good number of bars and clubs in such close proximity.

I've never felt unsafe and it's not a rough area - the biggest crime in Spain is purportedly to be domestic violence and that's by a long way - street crime or drunken incidents are few and far between.

As has been said, this programme was recorded ten years ago or thereabouts and they recorded it over a month period, that's nearly 200 nights roughly and it aired for a few episodes, and that included neighbouring resorts.

The presenter (woman drives me mad) always exaggerates everything she narrates, simply to give the effect of drama etc... but it's simply that - nothing more!

So you can put your wife at ease... of course, it's not to say you should be complacent as you shouldn't be anywhere you go on holiday, don't take out more cash than you need, don't leave drinks/bags unattended etc - but these are all common sense actions anyway.

Have a great time :)

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,094 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crime

Costa del Street Crime was made over ten years ago and caused a diplomatic incident at the time. The so-called 'expert' they used was simply exaggerating to sell his book.

If you actually strip out what happens over the whole series there are around 20 incidents at Plaza Solymar in Benalmadena, at around 6am; two incidents of domestic violence in Torremolinos; two incidents of drunken youngsters in Nerja; a dozen or so drug-smuggling incidents (in Marbella, Nerja and Fuengirola); and a couple of fights in the early hours in Fuengirola.

All of this over a long season from April to October! I suspect more happens in the average British town in one weekend!

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,188 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crime

Crime is fairly low in most resorts.

Pick pocketing is the most usual so it`s better to carry as little as possible.

Walking about bent double by the weight of gold round your neck and blinding people with the sun reflecting off your diamonds would be asking for trouble.

Graham

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
11,689 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crime

Costa del Street Crime is so old and has been repeated on various channels every month for years. When Sky got hold of it they showed it as a "new" series! Its all just the same programmes - they've got a facebook page too but not many members!

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
369 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Crime

We did the same thing a few years ago after we had booked to go to torremolinos watched costa del street crime and thought oh my god what have we done but off we went anyway and had a great time we go twice a year now and personaly have never seen anything but that doesnt mean it doesnt happen same as anywhere at home included im sure you will have a lovely time my misses goes off on her own all over the place and feels safer i think than at home

Bangor
Level Contributor
145 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Crime

Thanks guys, as I thought. I will let my missus see the reply's as I have never seen anything bad in the five visits I made.

grimsby lincs
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Crime

We have been going to Benalmadena and Carihuela since 1996 3 or 4 times a year and apart from my first visit when a gypsy flower woman had my wallet out of my pocket as quick as a flash and as soon as I realised I snatched it back and that has all I personally have seen and I have no fear of the area , not cos I am brave, coming up to 68 and never been a fighter but because I consider the area safe.

Edited: 29 July 2014, 15:50
Bangor
Level Contributor
145 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Crime

Thanks Tuts, I feel safe in the area too.