We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alhambra - tour in morning or afternoon?

Which Granada hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
856 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Alhambra - tour in morning or afternoon?

We will be spending one night in Granada on June 12th- probably arriving there about 1 pm. Is it best to see the Alhambra in the afternoon upon arrival or early the next morning? How much time should I allow?

How hot will it be in mid-June?

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
57,687 posts
3,576 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alhambra - tour in morning or afternoon?

I prefer the morning because of the light, since I like to take pictures. Temperatures will be between 14 and 31C.

Lake Vinuela...
Level Contributor
9,535 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alhambra - tour in morning or afternoon?

To guarantee the time slot you require you will need to book many weeks in advance.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
8,336 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alhambra - tour in morning or afternoon?

Given your time constraints I would go in the morning - early start and book tickets well in advance. Duration of a visit depends on the individual - rush round (see the minimum & not absorb the place, not a good idea IMO)minimum 2 hrs, more reasonable visit 3 - 4 hrs, and it can easily be 5+ hrs if you want it to be so. One suggestion is that on the pm of the 12th you could wander in freely (no ticket) via Justice Gate and get your bearings / see a few of the general things - so that the following morning you can focus on the ticketed sections.

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
856 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alhambra - tour in morning or afternoon?

Thank you, all, esp. KMUK. I like the idea about wondering around in the afternoon to see the free stuff at the Alhambra and getting our bearings - maybe we can also pick up our tickets for the next day in advance. Is there another must see sight in Granada that we should visit the afternoon of our arrival?

We were planning on leaving Granada after visiting the Alhambra that day and driving to Ronda to spend one night there before going down to Malaga for a week in a timeshare on the coast. We are driving up from Barcelona and had the two extra days enroute - so wanted to see some of the sites.

Do you think we should go ahead and spend 2 nights in Granada and we can day trip to Ronda - since it is only a 1 hr drive - it is an option to consider - because I hate switching hotels each night.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
57,687 posts
3,576 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alhambra - tour in morning or afternoon?

Granada merits a two night stay because it is beautiful and there are many things to see. Search for the Things To Do in Granada to get an idea of what to see there, such as the Cathedral, La Cartuja, San Juan de Dios Church, etc.

I would then proceed to the coast and do the day trip to Ronda from there. A day trip to Ronda from Granada is not that easy because Ronda is in the mountains and the road is not a freeway. It is a narrow winding road that takes a long time.

Yes, it could be hot in mid June, but chilly at night because Granada is at a high altitude.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
8,336 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alhambra - tour in morning or afternoon?

Yes, agree. 2 nights in Granada and go to Ronda as a day-trip from the coast. If you're really interested in the Alhambra, as well as the day visit, you could consider the night-time visit to the Nasrid part.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,579 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alhambra - tour in morning or afternoon?

I would agree with the morning recommendations because of the light, especially important for photography. And you will need to book your tickets now.

Are you sure about one hour driving to Ronda? Benny hints at longer. Depending on where you're parked and the time of day it might take you 45 minutes to get out of the city.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9,278 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alhambra - tour in morning or afternoon?

The good news is that mornings are fine as long as you arrive before 10:00. We also found that mid-afternoon wasn't too crowded (off-season), but will be crowded in June during the main tourist season.

The bad news is that much of the Alhambra is closed for renovation. It's produced a lot of grumbling in the city because of the way the renovation is being handled. Only one lion remains, the rest have been taken away.

The free stuff includes the Generalife, which is also partly blocked due to the ongoing work.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
153 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alhambra - tour in morning or afternoon?

robert...

is the renovations that substantial!? that's a damper on our plans! we are going to be there the first week of june.

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
856 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alhambra - tour in morning or afternoon?

Thank you all for your expert and insightful advice. Looks like we will spend two nights in Granada and do the Alhambra in the evening and/or morning of our stays (to avoid the crowds from the day trippers) as well as enjoy some of the other sights.

I will be anxious to hear from Robert about the renovation - what a bummer. Whatever - seems like the story of my life. Guess there would be no particular reason to visit in the morning when the light is best for photo opportunities - if the pictures will be cluttered with alot of renovation equipment.

Guess we can decide on the day trip to Ronda latter - I am not good on narrow windy roads due to car sickness and honestly, we are also not good at driving on steep hills with a standard transmission car. Can someone commment on how steep the the road is to Ronda from the Malaga area??

Thanks