We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Granada advice with a 14:30 Alhambra time slot

Spring Hill, FL
Level Contributor
474 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Granada advice with a 14:30 Alhambra time slot

I just want a little advice, please. We are driving from Fuengirola and have a 14:30 Alhambra time slot. We want to see Cathedral and other sites near Plaza Nueva. What is the earliest we can enter and see the general areas like Parador and gardens first before our entry time? Also about parking: We want to see Cathedral and other areas of town in the late morning. Should we park in Alhambra lots and walk or us the little bus down the hill and back up, or should we park in town at Servia Achoa or a lot nearer Plaza Nueva and take the bus up the hill for our Alhambra tour? We booked the time slot, knowing it would be siesta time in town. We actually might want to walk around town both before and after Alhambra tour. Just don't know which way to go on the parking.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
21,162 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Granada advice with a 14:30 Alhambra time slot

In my view, I would head for the Alhambra main car park, the one nearest the main entrance, in the morning. The roads are signed as soon as you get near to Granada city. Park up in that place and then possibly collect your ticket for later that afternoon. The afternoon session starts at 2pm so that's the time the entire grounds will be open for your afternoon ticket - right up until 8pm. So you will return to the Alhambra complex in good time for your entry to the Nasrid Palaces before 2.30.

After the main gates you can either walk down to Plaza Nueva (all downhill !) maybe taking 30 minutes gently, or get the mini circular bus that drops off passengers and drops down in Plaza Nueva.

So you will probably take that bus back up.

If you already have your entry ticket I am fairy sure you could walk up and enter through the lower justice gate which saves going to the higher end of the Alhamnbra complex then having to come down again to the Nasrid entrance.

There is quite a nice virtual tour of the complex if you have a fast connection on this : http://www.saudiaramcoworld.com/issue/200604/

the main entrance /ticket office is to the right of the map on this site, not far from the Generalife Gardens. You can make the gardens your last stop before returning to your car through the main entrance.

Spring Hill, FL
Level Contributor
474 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Granada advice with a 14:30 Alhambra time slot

Thank you for all the wonderful information, but I still have one question. Since we have a 14:30 or 2:30 time slot, does this mean we have to wait until 2:00 to enter any part of the grounds, including the Parador, or can we enter around 12:00 noon and have something to eat and walk around the gardens, then proceed to the gate for our entry into the Nasrid Palaces? Sorry to be so dense, but I still don't understand about the entry.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
62,618 posts
3,724 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Granada advice with a 14:30 Alhambra time slot

The entrance is for the Nasrid Palace. You can enter for the Generalife Gardens or the parador anytime.

What you can also do is to go early in the morning and park near El Corte Ingles, in the plaza. Then you can see the Cathedral and the stores around it. At 1 pm you can take the bus to go to the Alhambra, or take a taxi. Then when you are through you can take the bus down and continue seeing the city.

Look at the Things to Do, Parking Guide for places to park downtown.

Spring Hill, FL
Level Contributor
474 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Granada advice with a 14:30 Alhambra time slot

Thank you, Benny. This is really the suggestion I was wanting to do, that is, look around downtown first, and then proceed up the hill. I have looked under "Things to do," for Granada and still can't find a parking guide. I was trying to decide between the lot at Severa Achoa and ones near the post office, but now you say there is one near El Cortez Ingles? Where is that, and which ones do you think would be best?

Spain
Level Contributor
170 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Granada advice with a 14:30 Alhambra time slot

If I was you I would park in the Alhambra parking.

It is easy to get to and easy to catch the bus into town.Traffic in Granada is a nighmare and at the moment they are closing many roads to private cars and changing the direction of traffic,this is due to work which has started on the Metro.

6. Re: Granada advice with a 14:30 Alhambra time slot

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 04:18