We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel help - in town at a 3 star or out of town at a 4 star?

New York, NY
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
hotel help - in town at a 3 star or out of town at a 4 star?

I'd appreciate help on this topic! I've been researching hotels for days for our stay in Granada. We will have 2 nights in Granada, over a weekend (Dec 11 and 12) and it will be the last leg of our trip after going to Madrid, Seville & Marbella. Anyways, we like to stay in town where we can walk to restaurants and tourist attractions, but all of those hotels only seem to be 3 stars and get very mixed reviewed. All of the 4 star hotels seem really nice, but they all seem to be 1 mile away.

Any recommendations? Is it easy to get around if we stay at one of those nice hotels a bit out of the city? Do you recommend staying inside the city?

Thank you!!!

Port Townsend...
Level Contributor
326 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotel help - in town at a 3 star or out of town at a 4 star?

It is not a "3 or 4 Star" hotel...but if you like small specialty inns I would highly recommend the Carmen De La Alcubilla Del Caracol. A "Carmen" is traditional Granadan home so this is more of a very nice B & B than a typical hotel. It has about 7 bedrooms on a hillside just above downtown Granada and below (5+ minute walk) the Alhambra. It is "not" a 3 or 4 star hotel in that there are not alot of in-house ammenities or staff, BUT the staff which is there are fantastic and the place is just wonderful - we felt like we were house-guests rather than customers (not what everyone is looking for but for some it is perfect!)

Port Townsend...
Level Contributor
326 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotel help - in town at a 3 star or out of town at a 4 star?

Ooops, I forgot to say that there is no parking and even driving to the neighborhood is NOT advised (nor virtually anywhere in central Granada.) However it is a relatively easy walk to eating eastablishments downtown and the "small" buses that go from downtown to the Alhambra (and the Albayzín and elswhere too).

birmingham
Level Contributor
777 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hotel help - in town at a 3 star or out of town at a 4 star?

Have you looked at Room Mate Leo. It is a fabulous hotel in the centre of all the bars shops and restaurants and walking distance to Alhambra (uphill but there is a shuttle bus or we had a taxi which cost us 4 euro). Not sure of the star rating but we loved it when we stayed there at the endof October. Plenty of reviews on this site for it .

Kate

berkshire, england
Level Contributor
527 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hotel help - in town at a 3 star or out of town at a 4 star?

You'd probably have to catch a bus into the centre, but bus routes along the main roads are very frequent (every 6-8 minutes).

Bear in mind that Spanish star ratings are not given based on quality, as in many countries, but on the range of facilities which the hotel offers. A 4* hotel could, therefore be a complete dump, but with a good range of facilities.

http://www.oh-barcelona.com/en/hotels/star/

The main difference between 3* and 4* seems to be "at least two lounges", "lift", "bar" and "car parking facilities". From experience, many 3* will have all of the above expect for the two lounges, so don't rely on the star rating too much unless the lounges are important to you!

For a quiet, clean, modern 3* hotel with good service in the centre, I would happily personally recommend Hotel Dauro & almost all the reviews on there are positive. If you go with a 4* Vincci Granada is about 15-20 minutes walk from Plaza Nueva, a little further to the historic quarter, although I haven't stayed there.

Northampton, MA
Level Contributor
3,969 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hotel help - in town at a 3 star or out of town at a 4 star?

Many of the four stars you're looking at could be around the Alhambra which is on top of a large hill with a beautiful 10 minute walk through the forest to get to the old part of the city. If that's the case then it's not too far and a totally unique experience. While it's not a good location for stepping out of the hotel and into a good restaurant, staying near the Alhambra is peaceful and almost magical. I can't wait to stay at Carmen de la Alcubila on my next visit. You should choose at least one hotel in Seville or Granada that is an old Moorish house with interior patio and fountains. You'll never forget the experience, unlike anywhere else. Otherwise stay downtown in the old part. I love Hotel Puerta de Las Granadas for location, cleanliness and professionalism. You might want something more luxurious though as the rooms are small and prices low.

melbourne
Level Contributor
392 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hotel help - in town at a 3 star or out of town at a 4 star?

see my post of our 3 nights in Granada, would definately stay at the Hotel Alixares again, next to the Alhambra but within walking distance to downtown (we are 51 and 56). Good luck!!

7. Re: hotel help - in town at a 3 star or out of town at a 4 star?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 May 2010, 05:18