We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental and ease of driving

usa
Level Contributor
117 posts
Save Topic
car rental and ease of driving

Will have a day or two to explore outside of Granada and it seems our best option is to drive. Hoping to do a loop of sorts leaving from Granada, down toward the coast (Malaga area) head west to Gibralter, then north toward Sevilla, and work our way back. This will be a quick trip..leave early one morning and return sometime the next day. I know we will only be able to do quick glances at very few things, but would like to see as much of the area/country side as we can in this time frame. For those of you familiar with driving this pathway, is it an easy drive for the most part? Winding roads? Good roads?, etc. Also will my best bet be to rent at the airport? For March, would I need to reserve ahead of time, or call a day or two ahead? Any companies you like/dislike? any idea at all what we'll be looking at in price? Any tips you can give regarding this whole process would be appreciated! Thanks!

La Linea de la...
Level Contributor
293 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car rental and ease of driving

Hello Lynn5USA, the roads between the cities you say are all highways and toll roads in some cases. They are good roads. You can do on a day Granada-Malaga-Gibraltar and overnight in Gibraltar or La Linea (Gibraltar border city), and the next day, go to Seville, and then back to Granada. Many things in a short time. It´s possible to do it, but have you thought about going just to Seville or Malaga?

In Granada airport there are several car rental companies: Avis, Europcar, Aurigacrown, etc. I think with a day or two can make a reservation. In March there is not much tourism, I think you will not have problems to rent a car.

Regards and good trip.

usa
Level Contributor
117 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: car rental and ease of driving

Thank you for your reply! I know it is a lot to cover in a day or two. We are torn between spending more time along the coastal areas, maybe see a few of the 'white villages", and skip Sevilla since we will be spending several days in Granada. That way we would see something quite different. But also know Sevilla is suppose to be wonderful also. I just don't know if we will be able to see much of Sevilla in that short of time to make it worth while.. I do want to see Gibralter though. I know its not supposed to be the greatest place, but historically, its something I would like to see, even for just a quick glimpse and a photo! But knowing we will have plenty of time seeing the history of Granada, do you think its better to spend more time along the coast to see another 'side; or Spain, or visit another historical city (Sevilla)? And thank you for the driving tips. Very helpful!

La Linea de la...
Level Contributor
293 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car rental and ease of driving

Hello Lynn5USA, I will try to give you an idea, seeing that it seems to you. When I go of trip to some place, I try to do how your it, to see everything possible in a few days, though it means that I does not rest very much.

Noting that only have two days, you can do the following: you leave early from Granada, and about two hours aprox., will be in Malaga. That morning you can see the most important of Málaga: Alcazaba, Cathedral, etc.. In the early afternoon, you leave to Gibraltar, and in an hour and a half approx. get to Gibraltar. That afternoon you can see the most interesting: Cuevas de San Miguel, Main Street, viewpoint. You spend the night in Gibraltar or La Linea. The next day, early you go to Seville, and be there about two hours. You have all day to see La Giralda, La Torre del Oro, La Cathedral, the Santa Cruz district, Plaza of Spain, etc.. By late afternoon, leave to Granada, and in about two hours to get to Granada.

Seville is very nice, and if you come from so far away (USA) I think it's worth seeing her.

If you decide to spend more time watching the coastal area, you can see Ronda, who is also a beautiful city, but it would need at least three days to see everything (Málaga, Ronda, Gibraltar, and Sevilla).

As Nike says, Impossible is nothing. You can do it. ;-)

In www.viamichelin.es, you can see the trip.

From Granada to Malaga is higway, and from Málaga to Gibraltar is a toll road.

Getting from Gibraltar to Seville, you have the highway reaching Jerez, and without going into the city, you take the toll road to Sevilla.

From Seville to Granada's highway.

Greetings and if you need anything more, you know...

Granada, Spain
Destination Expert
for Granada
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car rental and ease of driving

I found this site

It gives distances from Granada to other cities and there is a link to driving instructions.

crazycalculations.com/distances/granada_othe…

There is a page with distances within the province of Granada here

crazycalculations.com/distances/granada_to_p…

You can find the distance between any 2 Spanish cities here

crazycalculations.com/distances/index.php

Northampton, MA
Level Contributor
3,875 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car rental and ease of driving

I would skip the costa del sol and drive straight to Sevilla for 2 nights.

6. Re: car rental and ease of driving

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2010, 07:17