We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2010 travel info madrid-toledo-granada-cordoba-sevilla

chicago
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
2010 travel info madrid-toledo-granada-cordoba-sevilla

we were originally going to do day trip to toledo and then fly to granada and rent a car to do cordoba and sevilla by our flight on ryan air was cancelled. we're looking for suggestions, car rental from madrid and do the loop vs high speed to cordoba, spend the day there then next day either rent the car to go to granada then sevilla or bus to granada and then bus back to cordoba to pick up ave to sevilla or bus directly to granada from madrid, then rent car or bus to cordoba and ave to sevilla..just curious about roads, traffic and need for a car in these cities... we want to leave madrid early monday and leave seville friday afternoon bus to the algarve..thanks

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
58,341 posts
3,578 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2010 travel info madrid-toledo-granada-cordoba-sevilla

The roads are very good. However you really do not need to drive to see Andalusia. If you rent a car, you will have to pay 11 euros a night at the hotel for parking.

Madrid is connected by AVE to Cordoba and Seville. You need to take the bus to Granada because the AVE to that city is still 2 years into the future.

Read Buying Renfe Tickets Online in TA.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,474 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2010 travel info madrid-toledo-granada-cordoba-sevilla

Whilst in Madrid you can still do a day trip by train to Toledo.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
51,821 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2010 travel info madrid-toledo-granada-cordoba-sevilla

Since all of the places you are visiting are not small, you don't really need a car. Leaving a car in the hotel's garage cost you anywhere from 10 to 15 Euros per day, and you don't want to drive in these places anyway. Toledo is easily accessible from Madrid.

As a side note, I suggest you use some proper punctuation, capitalization and paragraphs next time you post. If you look at your post, it's actually quite difficult to read.

Oswestry, United...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2010 travel info madrid-toledo-granada-cordoba-sevilla

docajv et al,

...and before something is made of sammyfloyd pointing out poor punctuation,

it is most of the reason I did not initially respond, i.e. I could not maintain interest, having to reread several times.

As has been pointed out, for the destinations mentioned, a car is unnecessary and a liability in cities.

Best wishes.

chicago
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2010 travel info madrid-toledo-granada-cordoba-sevilla

Well.

Thank you for responding anyway.

Oh and sammyfloyd, perhaps my punctuation and captiatlization and paragraphs were lacking, but I believe you meant to say,

"Since all of the places you are visiting ARE small, you don't really need a car"

Or, did you mean to say that since they ARE NOT small, you really don't WANT a car (because getting around them is difficult)...given what you say in your next sentence.

I wonder if there is anybody from Andalucia who disagrees about driving. I travel often to Europe and am quite comfortable with city drivng, my main concern was the roads and the time between locations. I am not concerned about the extra cost of parking,

The cost of driving versus the cost of AVE, buses and time spent waiting seem to cancel each other out.

Respectfully.

docajv

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,104 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2010 travel info madrid-toledo-granada-cordoba-sevilla

We are driving, but we are doing a road trip from the UK, however if we were flying we would still drive as we prefer the flexibility. We have checked that all our accommodation has secure parking and are prepared to pay for city centre parking.

It's all a matter of choice I guess.

Have a great trip!

Northampton, MA
Level Contributor
3,823 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2010 travel info madrid-toledo-granada-cordoba-sevilla

From Madrid to Seville the AVE is much better than the long boring drive and certainly cancels out renting a car. If you really want to rent a car keep in mind that they are useless and a hassle to have in Seville and Granada. I would train to Seville for 3 nights, daytrip to Cordoba, bus or train to Granada for 2 nights, bus to Malaga for one night and AVE train back to Madrid. If you really want to rent a car you could drive from Seville to Granada.

berkshire, england
Level Contributor
522 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2010 travel info madrid-toledo-granada-cordoba-sevilla

Why don't you stick with plan A and book an Iberia flight to replace the Ryanair one?

Trivandrum
Level Contributor
172 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2010 travel info madrid-toledo-granada-cordoba-sevilla

I was planning on a similar trip too. Needed some help on planning this out... two nights in granada and then drive from granada to sevilla before spending two nights there and then take a high speed train to madrid from sevilla(do a day trip to toledo from madrid)... in between, I wanted to drive to malaga and ronda for a day too..is this really feasible?

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,104 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2010 travel info madrid-toledo-granada-cordoba-sevilla

Sounds as if you will not really have enough time to do Granada and Seville justice, let alone driving somewhere else. Decide what you really want to do and stick with it or you will spend all your time travelling rather than enjoying where you are.