We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nasrid Palace entry timing

Melbourne
3 posts
Save Topic
Nasrid Palace entry timing

I have a quite specific question about visiting the Alhambra, and I would appreciate any help you could give. I am trying to sort out the whole issue of what time to book and the order in which to visit the various sections. Do you really need to be at the entrance to the Nasrid Palace exactly at the start of your alloted half-hour, or is it possible to still be let in at any point between say 2.00 and 2.30 if your booking is for 2.00? I would like to let the bulk of the people through first in the hope of it being slightly less crowded when we go through, but I have read that you only have a 5-10 minute window to get let in. Many thanks for your help.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
19,938 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nasrid Palace entry timing

The afternoon session starting at 2pm is for the specific entries into the gated areas. These are Generalife Gardens , the Nasrid Palaces and the Alcazar. So if you have already your ticket for the afternoon and your 30 minute entry slot for the Nasrid Palaces then you can 'get your bearings' and wander around the free to wander area at the large Alhambra complex. As far as the Nasrid entry point, the timed entry is to allow less crowding and provide a better 'flow' of visitors. Personally I would be happy to turn up at the beginning of the allotted half hour time slot and then just pace myself depending on numbers of people. For example if you happened to be behind a group then just wait until they move on ? Once inside you will find more room to enjoy at your own pace. But don't miss the entry slot - whichever one you choose - for the Nasrid Palaces.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
8,764 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nasrid Palace entry timing

Paolo - like you, I aimed last year to let the bulk of people in my timeslot in first in the hope of my visit being less crowded. I've done the visit several times before and would normally target on arriving at Nasrid entrance about 10 mins into the 30 mins timeslot. It didn't quite work as expected.

There was a large queue towards the entrance and it didn't move initially at the start of my 1430 timeslot. What I think was happening was that all tour groups were being separately let in first, from the start of the timeslot, and then we 'normal' visitors started to enter. It meant we stood in our queue for about 15 - 20 mins immediately outside Nasrid entrance before gaining entry.

I agree with Cadiz - just pace yourself more slowly than others once you've entered.

The timeslot 'window' is 30 mins, not 5-10, but expect a queue at the entrance so definitely do not leave it late or cut it fine.

And you do need to budget for 20 - 25 mins from collecting your ticket, getting your bearings and walking from ticket office area to the Nasrid entrance area.

Melbourne
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Nasrid Palace entry timing

Thanks for your replies, wich are very helpful. They pretty much confirm that you can't start trying to be too clever with the entry time! I stupidly was a bit unclear in my original post in that 2.00 was just an example. I have booked 9.30, but I was wondering whether, if we had time (depending on how early we arrived and got through the initial entry to the complex), we could cover the Alcazaba before lining up for the Nasrid palaces at around 9.50. But that sounds like it might be a recipe for disaster.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
59,264 posts
3,585 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nasrid Palace entry timing

Paolo:

I would see the Nasrid Palace first and see the Alcazaba later because the Nasrid Palace is the most important place to see in the Alhambra.

I, like the other commentators, think that you can never predict how many people will be at the Nasrid Palace. The last time I was there, I entered at 9:30 and there were many people in the queue to enter, so we had to wait 15 minutes to enter the palace. Also I had to spend time to take photos because people were in the way. Many times people seemed to be stunned and would not move at all from where they were. That is the effect the Nasrid Palace has on many people.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
8,764 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nasrid Palace entry timing

Paola - if you get your tickets very early, you could do Alcazaba first - but do not take any risks with timescale for Nasrid entry and the queues that might be there. Missing your timeslot would be a disaster.

Expect to take about 25-40 mins in Alcazaba, dependent on how many photos you take and how high you wish to climb the tower. But also remember that you cannot enter that ticketed area twice - so if you are running short of time, you cannot exit the Alcazaba to return again later.

tc2
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
132 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nasrid Palace entry timing

Hi,

With a 9.30am timeslot, if you get to the Alhambra when they open the gates a 8.15am, you could do the Alcazaba first.

I did this recently, but I had a 9am timeslot and only had 30-40mins and this was really rushed (I do spend a long time taking photos, it is an incredible view. I ended up joining the queue at about 9.10am after rushing through the last part).

The advantage of doing it early is that it is still empty. I'm sure if you did it later, it would be packed. Also, after the tour through the Nasrid palace, you are at the other end of the complex, so you would end up backtracking.

Its a real shame that you can't re-enter this part of the complex.

Cheers,

TC

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
19,938 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nasrid Palace entry timing

tc2 is correct. get up early and you can spend some nice morning air time at the Alcazaba with sun behind you and views over the city and to the mountains. Also the Nasrid entrance is across the open area where it is possible to get a coffee. So start early at the Alcazaba and don't leave it too late to get to the Nasrid entrance.! Then after spending as much time as you need at the palaces you can wander up to the Generalife Gardens but ensure that you enter during the morning session that lasts until 2pm. Then if you have enough energy and time you can look round the Charles V building and exit the Alhambra complex by using the Justice Gate down to Plaza Nueva unless you have a car parked up at the top Alhambra car park !

California
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Nasrid Palace entry timing

Hey guys, I did just book the afternoon session for next month (14-18:00) and without thinking, did book the 14:00 session for the Nasrid Palace.

In my previous visit a few years back, I was staying south of the Cathedral so I took a bus near there and entered the Alhambra to the SE side, away fro the Albaicin side. I went through the gardens in the morning and then made my way towards the Nasrid for my 12 PM appointment.

After that, I left by a gate near there and walked down and ended up on the Plaza Nueva.

So this time, I'm staying in Albaicin and thinking that I'd walk up that path (which ends up at the Plaza Nueva) because that gate appears to be closer to the Nasrid Palace? It's the side where the Parador is.

My questions are:

1. Can you get your tickets there, do they have the printing terminals there?

2. How early can I pick up the tickets so that I enter at 2 PM and make my way to the Nasrid Palace. Will have to probably look around (haven't found a good map online of the gates, the points of interest within the Alhambra, as well as the surrounding areas which would show how to reach the Alhambra). Google Maps shows the area around it but the Alhambra itself is all gray, with no specific structures shown.

3. Is there a bus up to this gate near the Albaicin side of the Alhambra? Or actually, was that only an exit, not an entrance as well?

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
8,986 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nasrid Palace entry timing

Here is a map:

planetware.com/map/alhambra-and-generalife-m…

The "main" path to the Alhambra comes through the Pomegranate Gate (# 1) on th emap and then zigzags up, finally reaching the main entrance. Part of this path is also the road that the minibuses use. On this path, you can pass the Justice Gate, which is an entry point to the complex nearest the Nasrid palaces. It is fine to come in this way IF you already have your ticket to the palaces in hand.

I do not recall anyplace there to pick up a ticket. We picked ours up at the main entry (far right on the map, near the Generalife), from the machines there, the previous day. If you reserve online through ServiCaixa, there may be additional yellow ServiCaixa machines downtown where you can retrieve your tickets, but I'm not sure. Hopefully someone else will know. You do need the actual ticket, with barcode, to enter the Nasrid palace. It is small, about 4" x 1", and cannot be printed at home.

California
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Nasrid Palace entry timing

Thanks, that helps understand where everything is inside but still trying to figure out how to get there from the Albaicin.

I found these maps as well:

alhambra-patronato.es/fileadmin/contenidos/f…

tripadvisor.com/Guide-g187441-i1158-Granada_…

But I can't tell how far or how long it would be to walk up from Plaza Nueva up the Cuesta de Gomez to wherever the main gate is where I could pick up my prepaid ticket?

I guess the guaranteed way would be to walk to Plaza Nueva and take bus 30 or 32 up to the main gate to get the ticket and then make way to the Nasrid, even though that seems a longer way then from the other gate.