We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alhambra planning

The Villages...
Level Contributor
275 posts
1,026 reviews
Save Topic
Alhambra planning

I am having trouble planning how best to schedule my visit to the Alhambra. We will be arriving in Granada early afternoon with the plan of visiting the Alhambra the next morning. I am concerned that I will not have enough time to visit the ticketed areas in the morning, much less the rest. If I went to the non-ticketed areas on my arrival afternoon, how much time would that take? Can anyone give estimates as to time needed to visit the Alcazaba and the Generalife? I know I'll spend quite a long time in the Palace so I don't want to short-change any place else. Any thoughts or suggestions will be helpful.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
61,284 posts
3,655 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alhambra planning

Scott:

If you plan to visit the Nazari Palace at 9:30 am, you will have plenty of time for the other ticketed areas. The Alcazaba does not have much of interest, so that should take half an hour at most. The Generalife will take an hour or two, depending on how fast you see it. Be sure to see the Carlos V Palace, mainly the museum. Beside the Carlos V Palace there is a beautiful church which is usually overlooked.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
9,296 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alhambra planning

Here's some roughly estimated timings, but a lot depends on the individual and how many photos they wish to take, how much they want to explore etc etc.

Parking car and getting to ticket office = 10-15 mins.

Getting tickets = 5 mins, first locate the machines then < 1 min to get tickets.

Walk from ticket area via Justice Gate to Nasrid / Alcazaba entrance area = 20 mins

Alcazaba = 30-40 mins

Nasrid = 40-60 mins, and you then exit straight into Partal Gardens

Partal Gardens = 20-45 mins, nice place for a picnic and a sitdown.

Generalife = 50-75 mins

Carlos V = 30-90 mins depending on the individual.

Shops = ????

Edited: 09 May 2011, 14:27
The Villages...
Level Contributor
275 posts
1,026 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alhambra planning

Thank you BennyMalaga & KWUK. Do you know if it will be possible to enter the previous day (without a ticket) to view the Carlos V Palace, Church and any other of the non-ticketed areas? That would just leave me the ticketed areas on my "official" day. What do you think?

Granada, Spain
Level Contributor
304 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alhambra planning

You certainly can enter the non-ticketed areas the day before, but you might find your time is better spent enjoying some of the other sights that Granada has to offer. Getting a view of the Alhambra with the snow-capped Sierra Nevada behind from the Mirador San Nicolas before going to the Alhambra helps you to get a sense of how it all fits together. Apart from that, there are all the other tourist sights in town.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
9,296 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alhambra planning

Yes Scott, enter the non-ticketed general areas via Justice Gate through the walls any time 7/24. Good idea to do that if you wish as it also allows you to get your bearings as well as visiting Carlos V Museum. Another option is to do the 'nightime' visit to Nasrid (a nice contrast to daytime, but doesn't replace it).

Also agree about viewing from Mirador San Nicholas, plus other sights in town.

Zabrze, Poland
Level Contributor
38 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alhambra planning

Can anyone tell me how to get to Mirador San Nicolas? Is it far from Alhambra? Is there any bus that I can take? I have ticket to the Nasrid Palace for 15.30, so is it better to go to Mirador before or after visiting Alhambra? Maybe late afternoon/early evening would be nicer than the hot noon?

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
61,284 posts
3,655 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alhambra planning

Alimera:

There is a bus that you can take from Plaza Nueva that goes to the Albayzin.

Zabrze, Poland
Level Contributor
38 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alhambra planning

Thanks Benny. I will check it and try to get there.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alhambra planning

Hi, I have a question about collecting tickets. I've read that there are Servicaixa ticket machines all throughout Spain. I understand that you can purchase your tickets to the Alhambra at these machines. Is it also possible to collect advance-booked tickets at these machinese anywhere in Spain? Or are you only allowed to collect your tickets at a machine at the Alhambra?

The thing is that I would rather collect my tickets the day before my visit. But I don't want to have to go all the way to the Alhambra to collect them. If i can collect them at a machine in Granada, or somewhere else in Spain, that would be more convenient.

Thanks in advance for any help!

10. Re: Alhambra planning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 00:15