We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary for trip to Spain

florida
Level Contributor
31 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary for trip to Spain

We are planning a 12 day trip to Spain arriving on Dec. 27 in Barcelona and departing on January 8 from Madrid. My plan is to spend three days in Barcelona fly to Seville stay 2-3 days, onto Granada area for 2 days leave for Madrid, spending one night in Cordoba and finally spending 4 nights in Madrid. Is this feasible? I have looked into taking trains but with four people they can be very costly. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,792 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary for trip to Spain

You could fly Barcelona to Granada www.vueling.com

Bus Granada to Seville and Seville to Cordoba www.alsa.es

Train Cordoba to Madrid www.renfe.es

Accommodation www.venere.com

www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com

www.andalucia.com

www.madrid-tourist-guide.com

florida
Level Contributor
31 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary for trip to Spain

Thank you great ideas. No car which would make my husband happy. I will look into bus

florida
Level Contributor
31 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary for trip to Spain

Thank you great ideas. No car which would make my husband happy. I will look into bus

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
59,193 posts
3,578 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary for trip to Spain

Carrie:

Read Buying Renfe Tickets Online. You may be able to get the web discount.

Jhn
New Jersey
Level Contributor
42 posts
320 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary for trip to Spain

We are planning a very similar trip. Are AVE and RENFE the same thing? I want to book tickets for our Nov. trip, but am confused. Also, I was thinking of flying Barcelona to Granada, then train to Sevilla, then train to Madrid. Does this make sense? Thanks!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9,278 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary for trip to Spain

Your itinerary is feasible. To save a little money check Iberia for Flights from Barcelona to Granada (less expensive than flying to Sevilla). You can then take the bus from Granada to Sevilla and the train from there back to Madrid. You can spend the night in Cordoba before heading on to Madrid.

You might want to download Maribel's Guides to Barcelona, Granada and Madrid to help with you plans (www.maribelsguides.com).

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
59,193 posts
3,578 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary for trip to Spain

jhn:

Renfe is the name of the train company, a government entity. AVE is the high speed train that goes over large distances. There are other trains that are not high speed or high speed trains that go for short distances.

florida
Level Contributor
31 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary for trip to Spain

Looked into vueling maybe for one or two people it was ok but you generally have to take a very early flight, like 7:00 am. Renfe is not inexpensive either but you supposedly get a discount and you save some on going back and forth to airports. We are four people so our considerations are different.

florida
Level Contributor
31 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary for trip to Spain

Looked into vueling maybe for one or two people it was ok but you generally have to take a very early flight, like 7:00 am. Renfe is not inexpensive either but you supposedly get a discount and you save some on going back and forth to airports. We are four people so our considerations are different.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
204 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary for trip to Spain

we are just back from spain with almost the same time spent,ie,12 days. we had 3 nights in madrid & believe me, it was more than enough, unless you want to visit all the musuems. do include toledo & segovia in your itinerary,for a visit to madrid is incomplete without seeing these two wonderful towns.