We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is a 9:30 Nasrid Palace ticket too early?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Is a 9:30 Nasrid Palace ticket too early?

That's when I booked it. I'll be there mid-September. The complex opens at 8:30, how soon would I have to arrive to make sure I clear the line up to get in and then walk over to the palace? Should I have given myself more time?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
20,730 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is a 9:30 Nasrid Palace ticket too early?

This is perfectly fine. With a pre booked ticket you can retrieve a print off from a La Caixa bank ATM machine in Spain or if you are in Granada the day before from downtown at the Alhambra shop premises which has one of their own ATM machines inside. This is good if you have bought an ordinary full cost ticket not a concessionary ticket when some proof may be required at the main ticket entrance pavilion at the top of the complex. INSERT THE SAME CREDIT CARD USED TO PURCHASE ONLINE and the machine will print out your tickets.

If you are not in Granada the day before or cannot use the La Caixa bank ATM then just get yourself to the main entrance pavilion before 0900 and retrieve your ticket again from the pre ordered machine. This is an automatic process. It may take depending on mobility 15 to 25 minutes to walk down to the Nasrid Palaces entrance and get in the queue. If you are late - for example in your case 0945 for example then make yourself known to one of the attendants because there will be a queue forming for the following time slot. The attendants normally go down the queue to assist in this matter.

If you have the ticket already you could avoid going up to the main entrance pavilion at the top of the complex and walk up from Plaza Nueva along Cuesta de Gomérez through the Puerta de las Granadas then you enter the park so take the left hand footpath alongside the outer wall of the Alhambra until you reach the Justice Gate. Walk through this mighty former main entrance and you will come out not far from the Nasrid Palaces entrance.. On this map the Granadas gate is number 1 and the Justice gate is 7 with the Nasrid Palaces entrance at 13. planetware.com/i/map/E/alhambra-and-generali…

If you are early with your ticket visit the Alcazaba first because the exit point from Nasrid is near 21 on the map. If not early walk down to the Alcazaba before heading up to the Generalife which is accessed by walking towards the main entrance pavilion past the gate no. 33 on map.

You can also walk through the Partal Gardens taking in the gardens and outer walls with fine views - the entrance is near 21 on map after you exit from Nasrid then proceed through the gardens and you will emerge finally at the 33 gate near the entrance. In any event you have until just before 2pm to make it to the furthest ticketed entrance for the Generalife summer palaces complex at 45 on map.

Hope this explains things !

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,286 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is a 9:30 Nasrid Palace ticket too early?

Just in case you are traveling with people who qualify for discounted tickets (eg seniors or children), check to make sure that their tickets have barcodes printed.

I visited with my 13 yo son and printed my tickets at a Caixa terminal offsite. When we got in line at the Nasrid Palaces, the attendant told me that I needed to get a new ticket for my son from the ticket office at the bottom of the hill (near Generalife Gardens). He should have told me that I would need to bring my son's passport as proof of age (fortunately, I had read about it already on a previous TA thread ).

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is a 9:30 Nasrid Palace ticket too early?

Great answers, thanks all.

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,742 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is a 9:30 Nasrid Palace ticket too early?

I have one more suggestion to add - If you try to retrieve your tix through a caixa machine using the cc with which you purchased it...you must know your pin #. No pin #, no ticket from the machine. You'll have to go inside and use an agent. I have several cc, but don't use them for atm's, and I don't know the pin # of a single one....

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,742 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is a 9:30 Nasrid Palace ticket too early?

Oops, forgot to add - We had a 9:30 entry and it worked out very well.

Treorchy, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is a 9:30 Nasrid Palace ticket too early?

I would start at The General life. Early as you can make it. You'll be in the shade if you're there early and it will be nice and cool.

Once you've spent some time there, the walk will be mainly down hill.

Level Contributor
248 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is a 9:30 Nasrid Palace ticket too early?

I understand that we can purchase tickets directly on the Alhambra website or through www.ticketmaster.es. Which is the best to purchase tickets? You indicated in your response to this previous question that you can obtain your prepaid tickets at a La Caixa Bank in Spain before entering the grounds of the Alhambra. Is that when you purchase your ticket from the Alhambra website or ticketmaster.es??

If we wished to purchase tickets for 8:30, I would think there would be no way we could walk to the Palace in enough time if the grounds only open at 8:30. I am quite confused in this regard.

Thank you very much for your additional information.

Edited: 20 August 2012, 19:04
Torrox, Spain
Level Contributor
3,822 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is a 9:30 Nasrid Palace ticket too early?

The grounds open at 08.00 giving you ample time to get to teh Nasrid by 08.30.

Buy your tickets well in advance at ticketmaster.es/nav/… then, to save time, print out your tickets the day before required - by using the SAME Credit Card you booked with - at any Servicaixa machine.

Edited: 20 August 2012, 19:44
Treorchy, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is a 9:30 Nasrid Palace ticket too early?

There is a ticket machine in the Alhambra shop, The shop is located in Calle Rayes Catolicos. the machine is actually owned by Ticket master. In fact the shop assistant actually points you to the ticketmaster machine when you make an enquiery. I think there are also ticket collection points at the entrance to Alhambra.

When we went there last year, we had our tickets from a Caixa cash point. When you insert a debit or credit card, it's one of the options.(Collect tickets)

The tickets need to be collected before the doors open on the day. They can only be purchased on the day by joining the long queue.

I can't remember wether we bought our tickets throught ticket master, but we do buy from them quite often and find them reliable.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
20,730 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is a 9:30 Nasrid Palace ticket too early?

Ticketmaster run the online and phone ticketing for the Alhambra organisation.

|La Caixa is one of the largest banks in Spain and has sophisticated ATM machines throughout Spain. Their network is linked to the Alhambra / Ticketmaster system so you can use your card at one of the ATMs to print out tickets.

The Alhambra Gift & Book Shop in Granada town centre.is on the short road leading from Calle Reyes Católicos to Plaza Nueva and Plaza Santa Ana.