We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice on rental cars/ trains in Granada

Level Contributor
603 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Need advice on rental cars/ trains in Granada

My husband and I will be in Andalusia in the fall and our top 3 destinations will be Sevilla, Cordova, Granada with roughly 2 days in each. We are debating between renting a car and taking trains. The debate is the standard that a car gives us more flexibility on timing but the downside is the cost to park the car in the cities (and I haven't even researched yet to see how the overall prices of renting a car vs. trains compare). Also we don't speak Spanish. A couple questions:

Is there any reason we would want to have a car in Granada. I'm guessing we'll mostly do the most popular attractions that everyone usually does there and we'll stay in hotels as close to the tourist area as are willing to spend money on. Are the attractions all walking distance from the hotels and each other?

And is the train station near the hotels? If not, how do we get to the hotel area?

Any other advice on reasons we should or should not opt for trains vs. a rental car?

Nhue Concierge
Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Walking Tours
Walk in Granada Tours
Cultural Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours
Followme Granada
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours
Olive Oil Tour
Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Trevelez, Spain
Level Contributor
153 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advice on rental cars/ trains in Granada

A car is a liability in Granada and yes all the things you are likely to visit during 2 days are walkable with 30 minutes from the city centre. The station is a €5 taxi ride from the city centre hotels or a similar short bus ride.

i would apply similar arguments to the other cities you plan to visit. If using trains with your lack of spanish worries you, some companies offer to plan city tours, supplying train tickets etc

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
62 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advice on rental cars/ trains in Granada

Don't walk UP to the Alhambra. (Way up!) Take bus 30 from the Gran Via for 1.2 euro. The walk down via Cuenta del Rey Chico was not bad at all but is a bit steep. It was a nice walk. Completely deserted. It starts to the left outside of the main entrance by a restaurant. If you are unsure on your feet take the bus down. The rest of the city is a fairly easy walk except for the Albaycin area that is also up hill. Take bus 31.

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
64,581 posts
3,729 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advice on rental cars/ trains in Granada

Hotels charge a minimum of 11 euros a night for parking. At commercial garages you need to pay 25 euros a day, quite expensive. You will not need a car in Granada. They have buses there in case you want to see the Monastery of La Cartuja.

Read Buying Alhambra Tickets Online and book early.

Read the Driving Guide for Foreigners.

4. Re: Need advice on rental cars/ trains in Granada

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 July 2014, 05:17