We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alpujarras village recomendation

Which Granada hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
136 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Alpujarras village recomendation

hi

i will be visiting Granada in early November for three days. I have been to Granada twice before so have pretty much seen the historical sites in central Granada.

i am thinking of taking a day trip to visit one of the villages in the Alpujarras mountains. I was wondering is someone can recommend a main village that would be good to visit.

I'm mainly interested in the historical sides of things (Moorish era).

thank you in advance for your time

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
55,318 posts
3,494 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alpujarras village recomendation

Mo:

Trevelez is high up in the mountains and is very cold. I found the setting to be quite impressive, with all the trees and the river. However it is just a white town and has nothing from the Moorish times.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alpujarras village recomendation

We have just returned from Apuljarras and stayed in Pampaniera. However, I would suggest visiting Capileira (one of the Berber villages) as it is a little larger and is the starting point for some lovely, short day walks. Benny is also right in saying Tavelez is very beautiful (takes a little longer to get to- but worth the effort).

Granada, Spain
Level Contributor
581 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alpujarras village recomendation

Hello.

I recommend especially three villages of the Alpujarra, Pampaneira, Capileira and Bubión, all three are very close to each other. There are good restaurants and cheap. There are also hiking trails along the river poqueira, which in autumn is beautiful. You can find information about the buses to there in www.alsa.es

Enjoy

Kalamata, Greece
Level Contributor
252 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alpujarras village recomendation

Hi Mo

We've just returned from Spain and did a day trip by car to the Alpuharras from Granada. Beacause of a satnav braistorm we ended up going the wrong way but in the end it all worked out very well - (leaving out the stanav's various cock-ups) we left Granada and went to Guadix (on the motorway but quick) then down to Laroles which has a terrific castle, 15thc I think. After that we poodled using Trevelez as a destination. The road went up into the mountains ever higher and just as we reached the 2000m height - there was a great mountain type cafe set amongst the pines where we had something to eat. Then on to Trevelez which isn't much to write home about. Then using Granada as a destination the road continued through some really lovely small villages. We eventually ended up at Lanjaron - small and delightful town on the edge of the hills where we also stopped for a while. We then joined another motorway straight back to Granada. It was a long day but well worth it. The motorway segments were useful and obviously fast but for most of the day we were on small, good, empty roads. I guess we were out for about 10 hours including many, many stops! A very good day and great to be out of the city.

Whatever you decide - have a great trip.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
14,915 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alpujarras village recomendation

Parsifal, thank you for your detailed response. we plan on doing similar in September, and this is very helpful.

6. Re: Alpujarras village recomendation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 December 2014, 05:17