We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Day of the Week to visit Granada?

Toronto
Level Contributor
529 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Best Day of the Week to visit Granada?

We will be in Nerja for 3 weeks in April-May. We want to visit Granada for 2 days (1 overnight). Is there a day of the week that is less busy for the attractions?

Was thinking of Monday, April 28th to Tuesday, April 29th. Arrive around 12:30 and depart next day on 5:30 p.m. bus.

We are, however, open to other days. Is May 1st a more interesting day to be in Granada?

Thanks.

Ellen

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
20,730 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Day of the Week to visit Granada?

Think your dates are good. May 1st is a Public holiday so would be much busier.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
61,212 posts
3,655 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Day of the Week to visit Granada?

Ellen:

Mondays are not good days to visit because most museums are closed on that day.

Read Buying Alhambra Tickets Online and BOOK EARLY.

Toronto
Level Contributor
529 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Day of the Week to visit Granada?

Alright. Perhaps we should change to Tuesday, 29th to Wednesday, 30th. That works just as well for us.

Yes, thank you, Benny. I have already read instructions and will book our tickets as soon as we are allowed. We followed the instructions for buying Renfe tickets a couple of years ago before we visited Spain and it all worked out beautifully. Thanks so much.

I will have a few other questions as we go along.

Ellen

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
20,730 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Day of the Week to visit Granada?

I agree with Benny that in Spain you will find most Museums closed on a Monday due to the fact that often they are open throughout the weekend. In Granada for your own schedule which allows for arrival into Granada on a Monday at 12.30 and departure on a Tuesday afternoon, I think the the important booking/reservation would be firstly for the Alhambra. Of course the Alhambra is open both days but in your case I would assume you will try to visit Tuesday morning or indeed Wednesday morning and head to the Nasrid entrance by say 10.00. The reason I agreed with proceeding to Granada on a Monday for arrival at lunch time was because of the expected heavy number of visitors visiting Alhambra by the middle of the week due to the Public Holiday on May Day.

You will be best advised to look for Alhambra tickets now and secure them so that you can choose your best time frame. With a full normal priced ticket you can retrieve them at the Alhambra book shop and down town ticket machine off Plaza Nueva if you want instead of going up to the main ticket entrance but this is purely something you can decide when you reach Granada.

You may be visiting other sights especially the Albayzin on the evening of the first day. Also a place to visit downtown would be the Cathedral and nearby Real Capilla. These are open on Mondays.

You may also care to see the Monasterio de la Cartuja either on the Monday or any day of the week.

If you have time and can visit the museum within the walls of the Alhambra known as the Carlos V building then this is accessible on Mondays or any day during the week. There is much more to read about the Alhambra on the official web site

http://www.alhambra-patronato.es/

click on English top right ?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
20,730 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Day of the Week to visit Granada?

Out of interest I have just looked at tickets for either Tuesday or Wednesday morning and at this moment places are very limited for a 10am slot with nothing available for other morning times. So best to decide now on plans.

Toronto
Level Contributor
529 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Day of the Week to visit Granada?

I have now booked and received a confirmation of our tickets to the Alhambra.

Decided to travel to Granada on the Monday and bought tickets for the 10 a.m. entry on the Tuesday. I had already thought of the 10 a.m. time slot and then when you, Cadiz, suggested it, thought I would go for it.

So, the info on the "Buying Alhambra Tickets Online" was a big help, except that it states that you can only buy the tickets within 90 days beforehand. I was just getting myself organized when you suggested that I buy as soon as possible. Glad I knew that.

Only problem I had was that we were going to purchase the tickets under my husband's name and CC but he does not have a middle name so it was not accepted. Our time ran out while we were trying to figure it out and had to start over again, this time with my name and CC. Seems a strange demand to have when the middle name is not even on the CC.

Anyways, thanks for all your help.

Ellen

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
50 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Day of the Week to visit Granada?

So helpful to know the info about discounted tickets! I am wondering if I should just purchase full price tickets for my kids, so that I can avoid the main ticket line & enter through the Justice Gate. It appears from my reading about visiting this site that convenience & line avoidance may be worth the extra euros.

manchester
Level Contributor
411 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Day of the Week to visit Granada?

Yes Beth I did this last year and will do so again this summer. When we visited last summer the queue just for picking up tickets at the main entrance was huge by 9am . We wandered down to the Justice gate(with our pre booked and picked up in another town via ciaxa machine tickets ) and just walked in and started our visit. The problem is as you will know that for children and oap's you can only pick up from the main entrance. I had an OAP and a child but decided it was worth it to pay the extra and I'm glad I did.

However I suspect that it depends when you go to the Alhambra as to how long the queues are and how fast they move.

Also,apparently we will not be able to use the Ciaxa terminals this year as Ticketmaster are no longer going to use them - presume you can still pick up non discounted tickets up from the Alhambra shop in central Granada.

Viola

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
50 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Day of the Week to visit Granada?

Thanks for the info, Viola! We will be visiting in early July, so any ways to battle the heat and crowds are appreciated. Speaking of heat avoidance, would early morning be advised or as late in the afternoon as possible? Also, do you know when Ticketmaster will cease using the ServiCaixa ATM for collection? It's sad that you can't print them at home.

Estepona, Spain
Level Contributor
558 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Day of the Week to visit Granada?

Hi there

Ticketmaster has ceased using the ServiCaixa ATM for collection as from 15th January 2014. Tickets can only be collected at Ticketmaster Machines in Granada itself or at the Alhambra on your arrival in the City only. See Top questions " Alhambra Tickets" at the side of this forum for more information.

Good Luck

Regards