We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Real, Raw Flamenco in Granada please!!

manchester
Level Contributor
411 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Real, Raw Flamenco in Granada please!!

Hi everyone

I have looked at all the recommendations for seeing Flamenco in Granada but wanted to ask if anyone has any personal recommendations.

We don't want to see an organised tourist show where you are tied into a meal etc: in Barcelona we saw a really good , traditional and raw set at Los Tarantos on Placa Real. We don't want a done and dusted experience by a professional group- the dancers we saw in Barcelona were students but were absolutely fantastic.

I have been trying to find out about the flamenco festival in July /August in Granada but can't trace anything on the internet.

Does anyone have any information - or experiences they could share and recommend please?

Thanks in anticipation.....

Viola

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
61,243 posts
3,655 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Real, Raw Flamenco in Granada please!!

viola:

This site says the date for this year's festival is not set yet.

spain.info/en/que-quieres/agenda/eventos/gra…

You can go to any of these places for the flamenco show only without having dinner:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187441-c84742/Granad…

Granada, Spain
Destination Expert
for Granada
Level Contributor
1,153 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Real, Raw Flamenco in Granada please!!

There used to be a concert every September around San Nicolas church.

Very raw cante jondo. Too miserable for my taste.

If you go to the Sacromonte area after about 11pm.

There are bars where aficionados (some of them brilliant) go and sing and play just because they like it.

There are a lot of juergas (flamenco jam sessions) and if you are lucky you will experience the duende (a spiritual or emotional bond between the performer and audience created by the performer's intense

concentration and passion.)

If you have a good night you might end up coming home at 7am.

Years ago some of the bars didn't even open until about 2am.

Also look in the newspaper for live gigs.

The Plateria is suposed to be a good place. You can have a meal there.

Avoid places like the Tarantos or Reina Mora if you don't want to feel like a tourist.

The best tablao is Canastera.

The Chien Andalou near Plaza Nueva has good reviews.

The Sacromonte museum organises flamenco nights in the summer.

It's a great location.

www.sacromontegranada.com/galeria1.php…

I haven't been down there for ages.

Oswestry, United...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Real, Raw Flamenco in Granada please!!

La Buleria perhaps.......but it is difficult to discern your understanding or what you might want of flamenco as you only mention 'dancers'.

'Something' could break out raw and earthy in a few places in the Albaicin or Sacromonte, at any time, guitar and voice and noise wise, but more likely this is late night/early morning hours.

manchester
Level Contributor
411 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Real, Raw Flamenco in Granada please!!

Yes I wasn't very clear.

We would like to see a really good authentic performance that incorporates song , music and dance in a non touristy environment. I thought that the flamenco festival held in July/ August last year might be a go-er but no info at the moment.I believe this was held at the Corral del Carbon- any ideas?

vila

Granada, Spain
Destination Expert
for Granada
Level Contributor
1,153 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Real, Raw Flamenco in Granada please!!

You definitely need to go to the Plateria which is frequested by Spanish people, not people who look like tourists.

http://www.laplateria.org.es/

The trouble is that if many other people take this advice then it will be flamenco for tourists.

I had a German neighbour when I lived in the Albaicin opposite the Alhambra. Her husband was a good classical and flamenco guitarist.

She hated me because she wanted to be surrounded by the real authentic Albayzin experience and I looked like a guirri (Spanish word for foreigner) just like her.

Everyone always asks the same question.

Where is the flamenco not for tourists?

But if a tourist asks the question then there is no answer.

A tourist wants to go to a place and have a stereotypical concert served up to them at a convenient time and location.

The only way of getting really non tourist flamenco is when the performers are not receiving any money and they are just doing it because they like it.

There is lots of flamenco not for tourists in the Sacromonte but it may not be at the time and place convenient for tourists to hear or watch.

It is a bit like comparing a visit to the zoo with going on a nature walk.

So asking

Where is the flamenco not for tourists?

Is like going to a zoo and asking to see wild animals.

By being in a zoo they are not wild any more.

Some places are more like safari parks where you stay in your car and see more authentic behaviour but it is still not the real thing.

There used to be an absolutely wonderful flamenco bar at the start of the Camino de Sacromonte in Callejon del Boli where they used to have to most amazing flamenco jam sessions into the early hours of the morning. I don't even like flamenco that much but it was so good I couldn't leave. However the bar was usually half empty because people would just walk past on the way to much more mediocre places further up the road. I could never understand why it was not always full. It was economically unviable and closed down.

6. Re: Real, Raw Flamenco in Granada please!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2015, 05:18