We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

a warning about "help for lost drivers" in Granada

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
145 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
a warning about "help for lost drivers" in Granada

My wife and I and another couple drove to Granada last week and missed a turn to our hotel. While we were trying to find our way back to the right road, a man on a scooter approached and offered to guide us there. We followed him in what seemed like a pretty round-about course back to the hotel. I gave him 5 euro for helping us but he DEMANDED we pay him 20 euro. He refused to leave and was becoming belligerent. Frankly, I was concerned he was going to do some damage to the rental car. Fortunately, the desk clerk came out and chased him away before we called the cops.

So if you happen to get of track in Granada, be careful when someone offers to guide you back to your hotel!

Mentioned in this post
Granada
Granada
Province of Granada, Spain
Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
10,948 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: a warning about "help for lost drivers" in Granada

Happens in other countries. And yes, it wouldn't have been the most direct route, he's trying to make it seem more difficult.

If you have a smartphone take their photo and say you will call the police. It's highly likely this type of 'chancer' will already be known to the police.

Edited: 15 February 2014, 06:29
Granada, Spain
Destination Expert
for Granada
Level Contributor
1,278 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: a warning about "help for lost drivers" in Granada

Are you sure this was Granada?

It sounds more like a Morrocco story than a Granada one.

Maybe this is the new way to bother drivers.

If you park around the bus station or hospital there are junkie type people there to "help" you park your car.

If you get lost in Granada one solution is to follow a taxi driver and then pay them the normal fare.

The only way to avoid this situation is to negotiate the fee before you start.

By the way: It is also better to negotiate the fee before you get a taxi from the airport.

Mentioned in this post
Granada
Granada
Province of Granada, Spain
3. Re: a warning about "help for lost drivers" in Granada

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 February 2015, 05:21