We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ham Sandwich or Egg and Chips?

Granada, Spain
Destination Expert
for Granada
Level Contributor
1,259 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Ham Sandwich or Egg and Chips?

First I apologise for being a grumpy old man because this post is slightly grumpy.

Recently in the forum there is a lot of questions asking for advice on the comparison of two large places to see which is the most suitable.

However as my teacher at school used to say. If you ask a stupid question you will get a stupid answer.

In Spain there is a saying which is

"Entre las gentes hay mil gustos diferentes"

Between the people there are a thousand different tastes.

What I am saying is that as personal tastes are so varied you should try to ask more specific questions.

For example.

For a person coming to Spain in June in a wheelchair, who loves museums and late night drinking which is better Madrid or Granada?

That is a slightly better question. The answer is still probably meaningless but at least it is narrowed down a little.

So what should I have to eat, a Ham Sandwich or Egg and Chips?

The answer to this question reminds me of another bit of Spanish that I heard a lot when I worked with young people.

"Yo qué sé"

Which means:

How should I know?

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Madrid
Madrid
Community of Madrid, Spain
Granada
Granada
Province of Granada, Spain
Special Offer
Granada, Skip-the-Line Alhambra...
621 Reviews
from US$144.10*
US$180.10
Alhambra and Generalife Small-Group...
233 Reviews
from US$57.50*
Private 3-hour Tour to Alhambra
8 Reviews
from US$123.80*
Alhambra and Generalife Private...
158 Reviews
from US$83.80*
Granada, Spain
Level Contributor
318 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ham Sandwich or Egg and Chips?

Grumpy old man or not, it's a totally fair (and helpful) point to make. Steven and many others spend a lot of time answering people's questions, helping them to get the most out of their stay, but it's hard to do that if you have no information to work with. So, a quick reminder of what to include in a question on Trip Advisor:

When are you coming to Spain/Granada, and how long do you have?

How many of you are there/what type of group are you? Single traveller, couple, family (with/without children), friends, etc.

What do you like doing? Museums, music/flamenco, tapas, restaurants, nightclubs, nature, historic neighbourhoods, churches or people watching?

Are you physically fit, and do you like walking, or would you rather take buses/taxis everywhere, whether through choice or necessity?

Are you on a tight budget, or is money no object?

Also, do some basic research yourself first, and check whether the question has been asked (and answered) a million times before. Even if you don't "like" the answer, there's no point in asking it again. Obviously that doesn't apply if you find the previous answers confusing, and need clarification...

ps. Steven, I'd rather have croquetas, if that's ok.

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Granada
Granada
Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
65,716 posts
3,733 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ham Sandwich or Egg and Chips?

steven:

I agree with you that many of our potential tourists know very little of Spain and have not read any guide books. The quality of advice we can give them depends on how much information they give us about themselves. Many tourists also want facilities or food that they find in their countries and are very demanding. They will be disappointed because they will not find what they want in Spain. Spain is a very unique country and that is one of its enchantments.

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Montreal
Level Contributor
871 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ham Sandwich or Egg and Chips?

I think that people formulate their questions to the best of their abilities, and if someone takes the time to answer (and ask for clarification) then that will help people refine their questions and get better responses. If someone finds the question is too taxing to answer, there is no obligation to answer.

So, apologies if this sounds grumpy too but here's my pet peeve:

when a poster chooses to include Spanish in their post, can they not make sure that it is written correctly (i.e la gente, not las gentes)?

Granada, Spain
Level Contributor
318 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ham Sandwich or Egg and Chips?

If you're referring to Steven's use of "las gentes", it's a Spanish saying. This may be the explanation for the unusual, but not incorrect, use of the plural of gente: castellanoactual.com/duda-resuelta-gentes/

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
22,238 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ham Sandwich or Egg and Chips?

Perhaps that is a minor infraction as there are people as well as peoples. I would use peoples when talking about a myriad of different races or ethnicity. For example I would say the "Jewish People" and would say the "Peoples of the Middle East". It sort of suggests a real hotch potch of different human beings all with their own particular tastes and habits.

And regarding Egg and chips. I am a connoisseur of a good poached egg on toast. It is not easy to make a really good one with the right consistency and you can always tell the quality of the Spanish restaurant kitchen by the presentation of their poached eggs. Huevos escalfados - never - huevo escalfado.

6. Re: Ham Sandwich or Egg and Chips?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2014, 11:08
Edited: 27 April 2014, 11:08
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ham Sandwich or Egg and Chips?

Wow, I just read the original posting out of curiosity (and a little boredom). Earlier i avoided it because the heading appeared to be just another one of those questions that is either full of laziness and ignorance or is vaguely insulting like, "is it really worth my trouble to visit Andalucia?". However, I've found some of the exchange to be interesting enough to want to throw in some of my thoughts.

I don't know about countries outside of the US, but in the US the school system has done a wonderful job of crippling students' ability to formulate decent questions. Curiosity is the enemy, and students have the duty to provide answers NOT questions. So it's not surprising that many Americans fail to pose questions that can be properly and intelligently answered. I find this situation sad because, for me, a central purpose for traveling is to broaden my experience of the world and to learn new questions to ask about home.

For the record, I do post answers even on forums like this one whose topic centers on a place I have yet to visit. I do so in order to use the writing to explore aspects of the question that I find generative. Or to offer a general opinion about what I see as the overarching question. Or to point the questioner in a direction that allows them to ask what they really want to know and to provide enough information to allow someone the answer.

And finally, assume that the answer to ham sandwich or egg and chips in Granada is JAMON, of course.

Mentioned in this post
Granada
Granada
Granada, Spain
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Ham Sandwich or Egg and Chips?

This is the new me:

"Entre las gentes hay mil gustos diferentes"

Is a well known "refran" (saying) If there is a grammatical error it is not mine.

They use "gentes" because it goes well with the end bit of "diferentes" a repetition of "entes"

This is a rather clumsy form of Consonance which is a poetic device characterized by the repetition of the same consonant two or more times in short succession.

The word "gente" is almost never used in plural.

When I was an English teacher I remember that the fact that "gente" is singular in Spanish and plural in English and "gente" is an uncountable noun in Spanish and countable noun in English creates some confusion for language learners.

So we have.

La gente es (singlular)

The people are (plural)

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
22,238 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ham Sandwich or Egg and Chips?

Steven. Can't you change your Avatar back to your original one ? Or do you prefer the pastoral scene?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,069 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ham Sandwich or Egg and Chips?

Does Steven even exist anymore after losing his new password recently? Now there was something to be grumpy about!