We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bus route

Which Granada hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
1 post
Save Topic
bus route

I need to purchase tickets for Madrid to Granada 8/30/2014-9/6/2014 round trip. Can soneone help me. Also we are seniors is their a discount?

Fairfax, Va.
Level Contributor
6 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bus route

I'm not sure that you can buy these tickets on-line, but I highly recommend the ALSA bus from Madrid-Granada or Granada/Madrid. If you take the ALSA Premium it is 39 Euros and it is super luxury like fying in first class. There is a hostess who serves drinks and snacks twice during the trip (all included), The seats are super comfy leather and you will have wifi, each seat has a screen and first run movies to choose from in a variety of languages, you can also choose tv, lots of press selections. the trip takes 4.5 hours but it is such a comfy ride that you don't notice it. The ALSA bus terminal is on the outskirts of Granada and a taxi to the center of town should cost less than 10 euros with luggage. In Madrid you can connect to the metro or cercanías right in the terminal. On time, checked luggage, comfort, no changes like with the train. It is awesome. (FYI I just took the ALSA Premium on May 28th of this year....I also took the regular ALSA bus from Sevilla to Granada on May 25th. It is clean, comfy, not as luxurious, on time) www.alsa.es

Edited: 13 June 2014, 17:15
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
19,165 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bus route

You can either take a train RENFE or a coach.ALSA.

The train goes twice a day whereas the coach goes several times. Take a look at the times

http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/index.html

https://www.alsa.es/en

I am a senior and use a discount card to use the trains but often a journey like this can be booked up using the Promotional discounts available on the RENFE web. There are notes about these different fares on here. It does need a little thought about which fare to go for. Some are fully flexible whilst others may not be.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187514-c80518/Madrid…

For the bus you have the standard coach or the premium coach as mentioned before. you can see prices on ALSA.

Both rail and coach seats can be booked and paid for in advance. Alsa uses PayPal if you don't have a Spanish bank account. RENFE will also be introducing PayPal as well as Credit Cards.

Fairfax, Va.
Level Contributor
6 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bus route

I did some traveling on AVE and the trains are beautiful and you can get a good price. However, if you are traveling with luggage I found the trains difficult to maneuver. There is a luggage deposit as you enter the car, but quite often it is already full. If you choose to make reservations with RENFE be aware that their American website is very difficult to maneuver. Also, I found that around 6 a.m. was the best time to try to book a reservation on the site. So many times I got all the way to the place where you actually pay and I would get a message saying Renfe is unable to process your request at this time. There is actually a guy who has a website to help you be successful making a purchase from RENFE. Also, if you are going to Granada and plan to see the Alhambra, be sure to purchase your tickets in advance. I got mine through the apartments I stayed in. You can also go to ticketmaster. (What a difference from years ago when you could walk in at any time for a couple hundred pesetas) In high summer season you will be disappointed if you don't order in advance. Also, if you don't yet have a place to stay...I highly recommend Arte Vida Suites and Spa. Lovely small apartments, very quiet at night, very centrally located, excellent management.

Fairfax, Va.
Level Contributor
6 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bus route

One more thing...Senior Citizen discount for just about anything other than RENFE starts at age 65 and you must have your passport with in order to get the discount.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
19,165 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bus route

The train from Madrid to Granada is an Altaria train not AVE and normally not that busy. If you have difficulty using Renfe then Loco2 is a UK based train ticket supplier where you have a simpler process.

6. Re: bus route

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 June 2015, 06:17