We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trying to decide between hotels

Canada
Level Contributor
124 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Trying to decide between hotels

Canadians with a rental car trying to decide between Poasda las Toros and Puerto de las Granadas hotels. Have read reviews and pics and both mostly good. Which is best for finding a parking space for the rental and getting luggage around? Which is best for walking everywhere and access to tapas bars and restaurants. Anyone who has stayed at either or knows them please offer some advice or comments.

Thanks

Granada, Andalucía...
Level Contributor
119 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trying to decide between hotels

With both of them you will have to park at Severa Ochoa unless you want to spend 25euros per 24 hours at San Agustin but if it is only 1 night the San Agustin would be the best.

Here is info about Severa Ochoa.

http://granadamap.com/so/index_en.htm

They are close to each other so there is a no real difference in walking everywhere and access to tapas bars and restaurants.

Don't hotels help their clients with arrival and parking instructions????

Canada
Level Contributor
124 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trying to decide between hotels

Thanks. The hotels will give directions but everyone is so positive on the reviews one begins to wonder so figured best to ask the info outright. As never know if one has a distinct advantage. Any distinct advantage or ambience etc to either hotel for selection?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
20,734 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trying to decide between hotels

I was planning to stay at Puerto de las Granadas next time I visit if the price was good. I normally would not have a car to worry about. The location off Cuesta de Gomerez would be good for me because the highlight of any visit is to see the Alhambra and surrounds. Walking up through the park and entering at the Justice Gate is a nice way to visit. The walk down to Plaza Nueva is easy enough but this entire street is steep from the Plaza to the Alhambra so if your knees are going to give out then perhaps review. Unfortunately car parking in Granada is so difficult and expensive and so even for overnight a hotel if they had a car park would charge around €20. It is often easier to just park at the Alhambra car park up on the hill with access to the main Alhambra entrance and this car park is signed from when you get near to this city. The signage will take you away from the central city areas and go around the southern ring road and up to the hill. Much easier to find. In addition you can then walk to the Alhambra entrance area and either continue walking down to Cuesta de Gomerez and Plaza Nueva or take a taxi or local micro bus. According to this web site (the official city tourist one) the parking costs €19 for 24 hours.

http://www.lovegranada.com/alhambra/parking/

As far as ambience goes they are both similar in terms of area with easy access to the centre on foot and of course to the Alhambra and Albaicin.

Canada
Level Contributor
124 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trying to decide between hotels

Thanks

Granada, Spain
Destination Expert
for Granada
Level Contributor
1,153 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trying to decide between hotels

The cheapest car park is Ave Maria

It is much nearer than the Alhambra car park and costs only 12 euros per 24 hours.

Info here.

http://granadamap.com/am/

One way of comparing the location of the 2 places is by using this map of an apartment in Plaza Nueva

which is between the two hotels.

granadainfo.com/get_location.php?donde=112

The red balloon is Plaza Nueva

Click on the little boxes and the info will show up on the map.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
20,734 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trying to decide between hotels

Steven

The car park you mention at Ave Maria seems good. I do not think that it is much nearer compared with the Alhambra car park. Maybe on foot it is very similar but by taxi the Alhambra car park is perhaps easiest because there is a taxi always available near the main entrance. The Ave Maria car park is located on a one way street and may be tricky to navigate to for a first time visitor whereas the Alhambra car park is signed from the approaches to Granada.

On your link to the Red Balloon between those hotels it says:

"Parking:

You can usually find somewhere to park for free near your accommodation. Alternatively, you can park in the SEVERO OCHOA car park and catch a taxi to your accommodation. We provide arrival instructions for both possibilities in the email confirmation."

Can it be really true that you are able to park for free near the Plaza Nueva ? if so where is the best street to look? Personally I would never even try.

Granada, Spain
Destination Expert
for Granada
Level Contributor
1,153 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trying to decide between hotels

A note to Cadiz_Lover

Yes, I know from your private messages that you think I am associated with Granadainfo and you make every effort to criticize them and contradict everything I say..

I give links to Granadainfo a lot because they generally have the best most up to date information but not always.

I did collaborate with Granadainfo about 20 years ago with a French guy (who has sadly now passed away) He smoked 40 Celtas a day and died of lung cancer.

We made a fold up map of the Albayzin called the Guia de Tapichuela.

It was a guide to bars, restaurants, and places to see Flamenco in the Albayzin and Sacromonte designed to fit on an A4 sheet.

If you believe that the information I give is not the best possible advice and has something to do with a commercial affiliation with granadainfo then please contact trip advisor and have them investigate every single posting of mine to see if there is any bias and if they decide that I have not always given the best possible advice then I will retire from this forum.

Sorry the rest of you. This is just a disagreement between two doddering old fools with nothing better to do than answer questions on Trip Advisor.

This whole conversation is actually pointless because the choice of car park depends on how long the stay is. Also we don't know how important an issue money is. If money is no object just go to San Agustin.

Also almost all hotels have agreements with car parks which can bring the rate right down.

for example the Trex car park in Realejo has low rates for surrounding hotels, so you should contact the hotels.

It would be best to find the website of the actual hotel (not an agency like booking.com ) and see what information they have.

If they can't be bothered to have good arrival instructions for their own clients (or even have enough English to communicate with you) then choose a hotel that does. Many hotels just give you the address and no other help.

Now back to the competition to see who can give the best advice.

I agree Cadiz is right - I would not advise anyone to try and find free parking around Plaza Nueva either.

Ave Maria is about 200 metres nearer than the Alhambra car park and it is not up a steep hill.

The Ave Maria have a control kiosk and they will phone for a taxi for you.

It is a fair walk from the Alhambra car park to the taxi rank because the number 1 car park is for staff and employees of the Alhambra.

If you have made a booking with a bone fide hotel then it is possible to drive straight to the parking using a gps because you would be exempt from the traffic restrictions. (so you could go up Recogidas)

It is true what Cadiz says that the Alhambra car park would be easier to get to without any supplied instructions from the hotel or gps.

8. Re: Trying to decide between hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2015, 05:16