We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Alborea flamenco

Front Royal...
Level Contributor
270 posts
Save Topic
La Alborea flamenco

Has anyone experienced this show in Granada? Our airbnb local host said that the Sacromonte shows were touristy and recommended this one but I don't see it reviewed here. Thanks

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
59,117 posts
3,577 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: La Alborea flamenco

Julie:

All the flamenco shows are touristy because the natives are not interested in seeing them. The natives have seen flamenco since they were small and do not go to the flamenco shows. Only the tourists go to these shows. I am a flamenco fan and the best flamenco shows are seen only in theaters, and you have to buy tickets 2 months in advance.

I have no info about La Alborea.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,406 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: La Alborea flamenco

sorry, hijacking this thread a bit cos i am interested in seeing flamenco too (and i will be visiting Seville, Granada and Cordoba)

from what i understand - Granada and Seville are the places to watch flamenco (as well as Cadiz, but since i am not going there so the point is mute)

BennyMalaga - do you recommend any place/theatres in particular to watch flamenco? I guess the attraction of watching the dance in Granada is that you can see it within the confines of the caves? But even then, I have read incredibly mixed reviews, e.g., here

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187441-d1… it seems like you are right. all the dance are incredibly touristy.....

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
59,117 posts
3,577 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: La Alborea flamenco

This flamenco dancer has performed in the White House:

.Zambra La Rocío

Camino del Sacromonte, 70

Tel. 958-227-129

Web: http://www.granadainfo.com/rocio/engl...

The performer is Juan Andres Maya, who has been invited to perform in the White House.

http://www.alhambra.org/eng/index.asp...

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,406 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: La Alborea flamenco

thanks got it!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
19,884 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: La Alborea flamenco

There seems to be some contradiction here. The Zambra La Rocio as mentioned above is also the same place as reviewed in the previous message !

If Juan Andres Maya is performing in the cave at Camino del Sacromonte 70 and you are the only visitor such as when Michelle Obama posed for pictures shown here

http://cuevalarocio.es/visita-michelle-obama/

then it would be a great occasion indeed. This cave may be one of the best along the road at Sacromonte but you would normally enjoy your experience with many other tourists.

The Sacromonte caves have an ongoing reputation for flamenco shows going back many decades after all this is where your "gitanos" lived and still live and where back in the mid 60s I first witnessed a real live noisy flamenco show. The dancers are up close. The music is loud and many people feel that this experience is so reminiscent of their own perceptions of what flamenco is all about.

Some of the best flamenco that I have witnessed is when a group of friends perhaps in a "Peña Flamenca" or social club for those enjoying this style of music will gather and share their talents with others. I have been to several different Peñas especially in and around Jerez de la Frontera and enjoy very much feeling part of the enthusiasm. But clearly not everybody's taste.

The very best artists will travel to other places like Madrid or Barcelona or Tokyo or London and then you will be watching a stage show or Tablao. During the Flamenco festivals especially in Seville and Jerez and elsewhere you will have shows at theatres as well as small venues with a small group. The fans of a singer or a particular dancer or guitarist will be looking to attend. I was fortunate enough to watch one of the last public concerts given by the late Paco de Lucia at Cadiz last year in front of a large audience on the sea front. This was a very special Tablao.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,406 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: La Alborea flamenco

thank you so much for these extra info, cadiz_lover!

if i end up going to this place http://cuevalarocio.es/ despite the mixed review, can i just walk up on the day and buy ticket at 20 Euros? or can i risk not watching the show because the cave limits X number of attendees per day?

also, is it safe to walk in that area at night (after the show ends, which appear to be at 10 pm, 11 pm, or 12 midnight)? or better to grab a package that include transportation?

just checking cos i am solo, female, 30s (but well-travelled and have basic common sense/street smarts)

thanks!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
19,884 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: La Alborea flamenco

I am unsure whether you will find a seat in that cave or one of the others. Depends on the traffic for that evening. Apart from that cave you have others. The owners will want you to join for sure. So I expect you can find a cave at Sacromonte just walking up. In my experience it is safe and you will find others also walking. I would head down Cuesta del Chapiz to the river and follow if staying down town.

Granada, Andalucía...
Level Contributor
119 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: La Alborea flamenco

It IS reviewed on TA

Click here:

tripadvisor.es/Attraction_Review-g187441-d63…

The chien andalou is good

http://www.granadamap.com/chien/

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,406 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: La Alborea flamenco

thank you cadiz_lover!

10. Re: La Alborea flamenco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2015, 05:16