We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying Salobrena or Granada?

Paris, France
12 posts
Save Topic
Staying Salobrena or Granada?

Hello,

We are planning to visit Andalusia for 6 days in February, and booked a hotel for 3 days in Seville. We are thinking about visiting Granada/Salobrena (beach) for antoher 3 days. What would you recommend?

1. Staying in Granada for 3 nights and visit Salobrena for a day or two?

2. Staying in Salobrena for 3 nights and visit Granada for a day or two?

3. Staying in both Granada and Salobrena

thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Seville
Seville
Province of Seville, Spain
Granada
Granada
Province of Granada, Spain
Salobrena
Salobrena
London
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying Salobrena or Granada?

Hi

Stay at Itrabohills.com (www.itrabohills.com). It's a beautiful Bed & Breakfast, 15mins drive from Salobrena.

Mentioned in this post
Salobrena
Salobrena
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
248 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying Salobrena or Granada?

I stayed in Salobrena about 8 years ago in May/June time. I m not sure if it has changed since then but the 'tourists' were almost 100% spanish and it was dificult to get even a menu in a restaurant in English. This may not be a problem for you. It was a quiet resort, very picturesque and quiet. Maybe in February alot of the restaurants et c would not be opened?

We also stayed a few days in Granada . The main interest of course was the Alhambra and even at that time of the year I found it too hot..so your timing will be lovely I think. I think there is a Parador inside the walls of it and that would be a fab place to stay. At the time we couldnt afford it but you could check it out!

I suppose I am saying try both if time allows.

Mentioned in this post
Salobrena
Salobrena
Granada
Granada
The Alhambra
The Alhambra
33,241 Reviews
Granada, Spain
Paris, France
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying Salobrena or Granada?

hi carterj, Ritabix,

thanks a lot for your comments and the b&b site.

salobrena seems to be very lovely city, but we may end up staying in granada for 3 nights and go to salobrena for a day trip.

since this is our first time trip to granada and we thought we may enjoy exploring granada this time. we are already planning to go back to costa del sol area even before we visit there :-)

so, next time we go back, we will probably check out the b&b you recommend!

thanks a lot!!

ovni

Mentioned in this post
Granada
Granada
Lake Vinuela...
Level Contributor
9,535 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying Salobrena or Granada?

Stay in Granada definitely.

At this time of year Salobreña is dead.

Personally, apart from the very steep old town, I find it a bit of a dump - especially the beach area that is lined with very unattractive apartments mostly boarded up/empty at this time of year.

Mentioned in this post
Granada
Granada
Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
13,125 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying Salobrena or Granada?

Can't comment about Salobrena (although the previous poster has often, in my experience provided some good and honest advice) but I would strongly recommend Granada.

We stayed in an apartment called Casa Boabdil - ideal for 4 people as long as none of them have mobility problems (access is quite steep) and probably cheaper than most hotels. Plenty to do for several days - don't miss the excellent Camera Obscura if you get a good sunny day.

Mentioned in this post
Salobrena
Salobrena
Granada
Granada
Paris, France
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying Salobrena or Granada?

Hi casaianda, pandachris2,

Thanks both of you for the advice. we are now pretty happy that we booked the apart in Granada.

We are planning to go for a day trip to the coast area if weather is nice, and I thought Nerja could be nicer to visit than Salobrena...

If we go, we probably rent a car in Granada and drive to get there. Is it easy to find a way to get the coast area from Granada?

ovni

Mentioned in this post
Granada
Granada
Nerja
Nerja
Costa del Sol, Spain
Salobrena
Salobrena
Lake Vinuela...
Level Contributor
9,535 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying Salobrena or Granada?

There are 2 ways of reaching the coast from Granada.

For the quickest route take the motorway straight down to Motril then turn right for Salobreña. Almuñecar + Nerja.

For a dramatically beautiful route - but rather tortuous at times - take the old road. It is breathtaking!

Mentioned in this post
Granada
Granada
Motril
Motril
Nerja
Nerja
Costa del Sol, Spain
Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
13,125 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying Salobrena or Granada?

To add to what Casaianda said, we found it easy to drive around the area and we were on the "wrong" side of the road. We took the Motril motorway a couple of times - no problems in finding it from the city centre - there's a ring road that can be reached in minutes from most localities.

Mentioned in this post
Motril
Motril
Paris, France
12 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying Salobrena or Granada?

Thank you!!

Maybe we can take the old road when we go down to the coast then take the motorway on the way back :))

How long it will take to get the coast approximately when taking the old road? My guess is about 2 hours, but is it longer than that??

How about the temperature in February? Is it about 15~20 degrees in Nerja area?

ovni

Mentioned in this post
Nerja
Nerja
Costa del Sol, Spain
Confolens, France
Level Contributor
15 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Staying Salobrena or Granada?

I'm probably late to answer this post, but here goes. We have a house near Salobrena, and we love the town. It has yet to become "touristy" - and the same cannot be said for Nerja. On bbc weather you can look at a 5 day forcaste for Motril, which is next to Salobrena. The journey from Granada takes about an hour to the coast. Youhave to take the coast road to Nerja, as the motorway, which is under construction, is not open yet. From Salobrena, Nerja is about half an hour.

If you do go to Salobrena, the Argentinian Steak house on the beach is highly recommended - your steak comes on a hot stone for you to cook yourself.

Ann

Mentioned in this post
Salobrena
Salobrena
Nerja
Nerja
Costa del Sol, Spain
Motril
Motril
Granada