We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

side trip to Moroco

USA
3 posts
Save Topic
side trip to Moroco

We will be staying a few days in Matalascanas in April and are considering visiting Moroco. Is it worth a day trip? We do not intend to buy any carpets. Do we need a guide? If so, do you know of a reputable one? What can we expect to spend?

Lake Vinuela...
Level Contributor
9,535 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: side trip to Moroco

If you type Morocco into the search box you will find many recent honest replies to your question.

Jerez de la Frontera
Destination Expert
for Fes
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: side trip to Moroco

The short answer is no, it is not worth a day trip. And starting from Matalascañas, you´ll be hard pressed to go and come back in a day.

New York, New York
Level Contributor
78 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: side trip to Moroco

Ruden,

I have been to Morocco from Spain and I would personally say that it is definitely worth it, if you are up for a little adventure and your time in Spain is not booked up. But be aware that if you only go to Tangiers, and that is probably all you could do in one day, it is really a pretty big culture shock for Americans. Very interesting, but definitely get a guide. If you take a ferry, guides will be waiting for you at the pier. You should be able to get a guide for under 50 Euros for 5 or 6 hours. Also be aware that they WILL bring to carpet factories and the like where the salesmen come on a little (very) strong! But being taken through the old city is really an experience. If you've got a little more time to spend, Casablanca and Marakesh are a lot nicer and you don't feel to violated by people who assume you are rich if you are American. A day in Tangiers is enough, as when you leave you feel like you have been on guard all day! But it really is an interesting experience.

Jerez de la Frontera
Destination Expert
for Fes
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: side trip to Moroco

No one is going to treat you differently because you are American. You will definitely be seen as being rich, but this is the perception of most Europeans as well. In fact, if you can afford to visit the country, you are much better off than a large part of the population.

New York, New York
Level Contributor
78 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: side trip to Moroco

Chano,

I certainly didn't mean to imply that Americans are the only ones who are hounded to buy a lot of souvenirs. I have been to Morocco with people from Europe and our whole group was treated the same way. In fact, I doubt very much that people could tell the difference between my friends from Belgium and the Netherlands and me. We definitely did not advertise which countries we were from. They probably thought that we were all from the same place (either Europe or North America). Nonetheless, we felt a lot of pressure to buy things we had no interest in (such as 4000 Euro rugs!).

But again I WHOLEHEARTEDLY recommend going to Morocco if you can swing it.

6. Re: side trip to Moroco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2009, 03:19