We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help me spread the days properly for Seville/Granada Trip?

NJ
Level Contributor
238 posts
Save Topic
Help me spread the days properly for Seville/Granada Trip?

We are leaving in 10 days or so for Seville.

Departure: 5:00pm Tuesday (20th of Nov.)

Arrival: 9:00am Wednesday (21st of Nov.) Seville.

Leaving: 1:00pm Tuesday (27th of Nov.)

Total Days: Approximately 6.5 days.

How should I go about planning the days of staying in Seville and Granada?

Right now from the top of my head, 3 days in Seville, 1 or 2 days in Granada perhaps 1 day, and perhaps another day somewhere else.

From the posts I have been posting. It seems like it's best to just stay in two cities and do day trips in and around both of those cities.

Any help is welcomed. I don't want to overstay at any location when we could have best used a day or two elsewhere, etc.

Gainesville, Florida
Level Contributor
79 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help me spread the days properly for Seville/Granada Trip?

We loved Seville. In retrospect, three to four days in Seville would have been just about right. Granada has fewer things to see than Seville, although the Alhambra is spectacular and a must-see. Be sure to get your tickets well in advance from ServiCaixa. Two days in Granada is probably enough. From Seville, you can do day trips to Jerez de la Frontera (if you're into wine/Sherry), Cadiz, Cordoba, Gibraltar, or Malaga. Granada is a little more isolated, but may be a convenient base for a side trip to the Parque Nacional de Sierra Nevada or maybe one of the ski resorts in the Sierra Nevadas.

Torre del Mar, Spain
Level Contributor
2,940 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help me spread the days properly for Seville/Granada Trip?

Though I've been there a few times, I've found a day in Seville enough to see everything though you could spend more time there. From there, people visit Ronda, even the Costa del Sol. You can even go to nearby Portugal, with a trip to Faro.

From Granada you can visit Cordoba.

Pay out 2 euros on a good city map. I've seen people wandering around with an inch to a mile to two guide book maps trying to find places.

How are you getting around? I'd go by car and that time of year book hotels on the way. These days you can even drop into an internet cafe and book your next night's accommodation online since you are out of the main tourist season. From Seville, south to Cadiz, then to Gibraltar, along the Costa del Sol to Malaga and north to Granada.

NJ
Level Contributor
238 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help me spread the days properly for Seville/Granada Trip?

Kenada!

This is great advice. I plan to take a care and drive to Granada to enjoy the sites along the way and spend a night or two in Granada.

Perhaps leave Seville and spend the day enjoying the ride to Granada and when we arrive, we stay one night, and wake up the next day to see Alhambra and then enjoy the day again and then spend one more night there and then leave the afternoon to Cordoba for the day and perhaps head back to Seville.

As far as booking hotels, all our Europe trips have been spur the moment, booking reservations along the way due to the season we visit the countries. However, I do want to ensure that I book our reservation when we arrive and perhaps when we leave. Just a safe comfort that we have a place to go. Anything in-between is usually just last minute.

NJ
Level Contributor
238 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help me spread the days properly for Seville/Granada Trip?

Another thing you both mention to visit Cordoba at either Seville or Granada.

Which "base" (Seville or Granada) should I use to visit Cordoba? Which is closer between the two cities?

Seville, Spain
Level Contributor
936 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help me spread the days properly for Seville/Granada Trip?

Just a few points on some of the above advice, which I don't agree with completely:

If you plan to visit Seville, Granada and Cordoba I would not rent a car. These are all well linked by train and/or bus. You will not use a car in either Seville or Granada, and parking is difficult to find for free, and if you want to keep the car safe then you end up paying about 15 - 18 Euros per day in a garage. At least wait and rent a car when you leave Seville, but it will be wasted again during 1 - 2 days/nights in Granada.

I do like traveling in Andalucia by car, and if you want to see smaller towns and the countryside I agree it is a nice form of transport. I just don't think it makes much sense to keep a car while spending a few days in different cities.

Cordoba is much better as a day trip or overnight trip from Seville. You have limited time, so why not take advantage of the fact that Cordoba is only 45 minutes from Seville on the high speed train. That is less time than traveleing by car from Seville to Cordoba, or Granada to Cordoba. You will save a few hours this way.

For hotel bookings, yes it is low season and as long as you don't have a specific hotel you want to stay in and are not terribly picky you will be fine. That said, keep in mind that SICAB, a very large Equestrian fair, runs from 20 - 25 November in Seville. This means a lot of smaller hotels may be booked for some or many of your nights. I have not read your other posts, so perhaps you have already have accommodation in Seville. But I have seen many times people assume low season means it is easy to book. In general it is, but you can make mistakes when lumping months into low seaon, overlooking regional and national holidays. In November there are long weekends from 1 - 4 and 9 - 12 November due to national and regional holidays. In December, the dates of 6 - 10 is a long holiday weekend. Can you still find room in most cities? Almost certainly, but your choices will likely be much more limited.

NJ
Level Contributor
238 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Help me spread the days properly for Seville/Granada Trip?

I don't plan to rent a car while we are staying in these cities. Although I plan to want to do some day trips in and around Seville, I may have the car for a couple days before leaving Seville to Granada. I don't really know exactly yet but I will definitely take your suggestions into consideration. Some people suggested that a car ride is very nice.

Either way, any more suggestions will definitely help.

7. Re: Help me spread the days properly for Seville/Granada Trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 12:21