We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help with a teenager

Which Seville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
manchester england
Level Contributor
690 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
help with a teenager

need help

my teenager[mum and husband] we are away seville for three days/puerto banus for 7 then lastly 3 days in granada

teenager does not like sightseeing just sunbathing we have picked hotel 20 kn outside seville so we can drive in and she can sunbathe but would love her to come with us what can i do with her

thankyou

texas
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: help with a teenager

My wife and I have been travelling with our teenagers - presently boy 16 and girl 14 - on numerous trips. This summer, we will be visiting Spain for 9 days. They both seem interested in sight seeing. My daughter has volunteered to research Frommer's and Fodor's, to plan the itinerary for at least 2 full days. I will ask my son to do the same. Depending on their initiative, I let each kid be fully in charge of a number of days, including scheduling and selection of places to visit; meal, snack and restaurant planning, transportation and logistics planning, and financial budgeting. I think if you get them more involved, they would be more interested. Perhaps you could get some books about Spain for your daughter to read before departure to sparkle her interest.

We live in Texas and our kids are already tanned because they do outdoor sports every day. May be you could encourage your daughter to tan at home before going to Spain. Then, there will be no need for sun bathing in Spain, and she could save that precious time to go sight seeing with you.

Does your daughter speak Spanish? If she doesn't, may be you could encourage her to take a language course. I think kids tend to show more interests in travels if they have some knowledge or understanding of the language and culture of the countries they visit.

If your daughter doesn't want to join you in your sightseeing activities because she finds it boring to go with 2 adults, and she prefers the social company of her peers, perhaps you could consider inviting one of her friends to go on vacation with you? We have tried that solution in previous trips and it seemed to work too. Please make sure, however, that the friend she selects meets your approval. Have a great vacation!

Ottawa, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: help with a teenager

Hi Lynda - Don't know if your teen is a 13 or a 17... but teens are a tough age. When my girls were in their teems they liked some history mingled with "shopping" but I'm from Canada where we have little history (only 100+ years) while you are from England that has lots! The girls did not like museums or art galleries! When we travelled with my teens we made a deal. A day of sun / a day of tour but we also tried to make the tour days interactive instead of just passive looking and got them involved in the "plan for the day". Other option - can she bring a friend to share the trip with? Teens are big relationship years. I've travelled with an extra kid many times to make it easier on all of us...then they have a friend to share the adventure with. The parents normally paid for the additional costs of the trip and were equally happy to provide an opportunity for their daughter to get away with people they could trust.

I was just in Seville with my 21 year old this past week. There were some teens at the sights that we visited - the Cathedral/ Giralda / Alcazar and especially at the Plaza de Espana (park) where an equestrian show was on. We were in Madrid on Sunday and the park is definately the place to hang out - there were "lots" of teens/early twenties there. I must admit - the beach is also where the teens are.

Good Luck :-)

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
278 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help with a teenager

We're headed to Spain and Italy in a week with our 2 teens, 19 and 16. We have an understanding - not continuous churches and museums, a fair amount of hanging around the town square watching the locals go by and some shopping thrown in. It's too rich of an experience to not take in at least the highlights! Our kids have studied a lot of European history in school and both speak Spanish so we've told them they're in charge in Spain. Strike a compromise on touring and just hanging out, watching the world go by!

manchester england
Level Contributor
690 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help with a teenager

thankyou all

leisure traveller my daughter gets involved and we involve her but no she wont sightsee/took friends before and i end up paying so not trying that this year

shes brown anyway re false tan

shes 18 and will have finished her exams waiting to here of her uni place to be a teacher/ i taught her some spanish so perhaps i will leave her to rest round the pool

Woodbury, New York
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: help with a teenager

LLynda-guess you must be home by now, or very soon; anxious to hear how it went with your daughter. We're also going to Spain this summer with our son/daughter, who are twins aged 15 1/2 (can't forget that " 1/2"). Leisure--appreciate your suggestions re: teens' involvement. We actually had our daughter pick the country this year, as she's not a very keen a traveler despite being all over the place (incl Paris, Rome, London, her fav) with us. She's studying Spanish in school,not confident yet but we've designated her our "leader," makes her feel more involved & important. We also alternate "adult/museum stuff" with their own interests which include the usual teen things plus shopping . We've/they've not found much for them yet, though...first flying to Bacelona 8/13, 4 nights, then flying to Seville (Vueling.com-a steel at 35 euros each). 3 nights there, excursion to Cordoba I know can be done by train, but we might rent a car for driving to Ronda then onto Granada for 2 nights, then to Madrid for last 4 days (we all like energy of cities). Can't decide whether to drive to Madrid or leave car in Granada-- a longish train ride, and the times are terrible.

I thought I'd have to leave out most of the white towns for the next time...can't do everything, especially while frying in August. Any suggestions re: teen activities, itin, much appreciated

manchester england
Level Contributor
690 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: help with a teenager

No I have not been yet 5 weeks

your itinery looks packed and this not work for us with teenager

she probably wont want t come next year

we went to New York this year and she would not come as she is a shopp and sunbather

good luck

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
7,860 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: help with a teenager

To stlrtrvlr - just in case you're not already aware -

You MUST (a big must) buy your tickets in advance for the Alhambra Palace when you're staying in Granada. Enjoy. The Nasrid Palace in particular inside the Alhambra is a wonder of the world.

Woodbury, New York
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: help with a teenager

Lovelylynda-it sounds stange to hear the a teenager won't come to NYC because she's a shopper (if I understood you right); we're in the suburbs and all the teen girls die, and even the guys to get to Manhattan and "hang" in the big city. The gals love to shop, if they , that means their parents, can afford it, with so many of the world's great stores located near each other there.

As for Granada, KWUK, thanks for tip about Alhambra. I actually already have the tickets, after reading yours and other posts on the boards, so we're all set with the Nasrid Palace, but saw nothing about the gardens. By the way, I had trouble on the last step, printing out the confirmation until I switched out of my normal browser and used Int Explorer instead.. Still haven't decided which hotel to book there...trying to save and have breakfast included, since we're only there two nights (a day and a half, actually). Do any of the less expensive chains have a pool?

thanks for the help

Washington DC
Level Contributor
678 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: help with a teenager

Do not stay outside Seville. The best part about Seville is being able to walk everywhere, especially at night when the city cools off and the locals come out. Stay at a hotel with a pool; tyr the Dona Maria just off the cathedral. There is a rooftop pool where she can sunbathe to her heart's content, and you can do the tourist bit, knowing she is nearby.

Also, suggest to Teenager that "sightseeing" in Seville consists largely of walking around pretty places, not a forced march through museums and cathedrals. There are shops all over the place in Seville, and the thousands of teenagers we saw while we lived there seemed to thoroughly enjoy wandering in and out of them.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,115 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: help with a teenager

I sympathise Lynda my 16 year old wont sightsee either (History is so boring!) - she is just at that age! Just enjoy Seville and Grenada with your husband and leave her to sunbathe. She will adore Puerto Banus with you both -its full of young people and has great shopping. My daughter adores it. Parents and teenagers rarely want the same things on holiday its nice that she still wants to come with you - leave her some space and you will all have a great time!