We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seville or Granada

Ratby
Level Contributor
27 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Seville or Granada

We are planning a trip end of May beginning June. Which do you think is best Seville and the Aracena Sierras or Granada and the Alpujarras. We'd like a bit of unxpoilt beach too. Any suggestions for either option?

Lake Vinuela...
Level Contributor
9,535 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seville or Granada

Granada and the Alpujarras! Lovely stretch of unspoilt coast between La Herradura and Maro and beyond Motril.

Zurich, Switzerland
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Seville or Granada

I'm a bit biased toward the Seville, Aracena area. Seville is a grand, romantic, enchanting city (use your own superlative). In my opinion, it outrivals all other Spanish cities. It is a wonderful city to lose yourself in. I would begin in the Barrio Santa Cruz area and walk in any direction. Food is also quite good although I would recommend eating mainly tapas (Cafe Donald is one of the best and most authentic places in the city and frequented by Bull Fighters). If a higher-end meal is desired there is no place better than "La Alqueria" at the Hacienda Benazuza hotel about 20 minutes outside of town. It is Ferran Adria's 2nd restuarant after El Bulli. For accommodation, there is no better place to stay than the Alfonxo XIII hotel.

The Aracena area is also lovely with white-washed villages dotting the landscape each with its own individual character. The main city in the area, Aracena, is beautiful in its own right with incredible views of a 12th century morrish castle ruin and church perched atop a hilltop. It serves as a wonderful place to base yourself from to explore the surrounding areas. An interesting thing about Aracena is that it is filled with prominent local artist and the town does not hesitate to display their works publicly. I can honestly say that I have not seen this much public art in any other city in the world. There are many restaurants in the Sierra, most of which, focus their culinary attention on the local Iberian Pig Industry. Try the "Pata Negra" cured ham and some lomo...exquisite. Some local restaurants that should be visited are Arrieros (in Alajar and whose owner/chef trained at Arzak in San Sebastian) and Monte cruz in Aracena. Places to stay in the town are generally not very good but a new 5 star Bed & Breakfast called "La Casa Noble" had just opened up when I was recently there and I would highly recommend it.

Enjoy your trip!!!

Ratby
Level Contributor
27 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seville or Granada

Thanks for the advice. Looks like Seville has it!

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
368 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seville or Granada

I agree that seville is beautiful and grand. But I am quite partial to Granada, its my favorite town in Spain. Its more magical, The old part of town, the Albaycin, is wonderful with its twisty, narrow streets of white washed buildings. The Alhambra is a MUST see and more important than any one seville monument (although seville has more monuments) and the towns and villages of the Alpujarras are quaint and picturesque.

Ratby
Level Contributor
27 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seville or Granada

Now I'm getting confused! Any more views out there?

CT
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Seville or Granada

I lived in Seville for a while and fell in love. I've been to many cities in Europe and Seville is by far my favorite. I'm actually going back with my husband in a few weeks! Granada is also very beautiful. I agree that the Alhambra is a must see. I think if you want to go to a traditional Andalucian city, go to Seville. You can take a day trip to Granada and see the sights if you like too. Good luck deciding!

Benalmadena Pueblo
Level Contributor
747 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Seville or Granada

I know both places equally well, Granada & The Alhambra/Generalife is a must, as is the Albaicin. A two long day stay would be just about right. Seville has more variety to offer, flamenco, tapas, architecture and nightlife. Both places are inland, but Granada is closer to good beaches both to the eastern and western Costa Del Sol.

oxy
nyc
Level Contributor
427 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seville or Granada

we went to both sevilla and granada for approx 2 days each. there is much more to see in sevilla, the old town is more interesting then old arabic quarter in granada. also alcazar in seville is more spectacular then in granada in my view. same for the gardens. also in sevilla currently they gave 'el greco' exhibit from 'el greco' museum in toledo (it's being renovated and is closed) - don't miss that! and you have flamenco shows too.

Scotland
Level Contributor
71 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seville or Granada

DO BOTH!! Been to both and loved both

Amigademaria

Ratby
Level Contributor
27 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Seville or Granada

We've only really got time for one so have plumped for Seville this time. Going walking in Sierra Arancena for 7 days. Just ned ot find somwehre tio stay now. Lots of the good and not too expensive places seem booked already.

Also looking for somewhere on the Costa de Luz for a few days.

Any ideas?