We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

please look at my seville itinerary

Which Seville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego...
Level Contributor
123 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
please look at my seville itinerary

We will get to Seville around 4pm on a Monday and have the rest of that day to look around and sight see in that city.

Tuesday we plan to take a bus to the Rock of G (I assume this will be an all day thing)

Wednesday -- day tour to Granada

Thursday we leave Seville on a train to Barcelona.

I guess the only real time we will have to explore Seville is after 4pm on the day we get there.

My question -- is my actual "Seville-time" enough to see everything there? Or should we plan an extra day?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide :)

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
55,189 posts
3,468 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: please look at my seville itinerary

You need at least 2 days in Seville to see the most important things. I would drop Gibraltar because feedback from many say it is a tacky place.

Here is what you can see in Seville:

1. Seville Cathedral - This Gothic church is the biggest church in Spain and contains the tomb of Christopher Columbus.

2. Giralda Tower - The huge bell tower shows the most beautiful Moorish architecture, with Spanish modifications.

3. Real Alcazar of Seville - The various palaces housed in the Alcazar match the Alhambra Palace of Granada in beauty, and its gardens are beautiful and impressive.

4. Plaza de España of Seville - A beautiful Mudejar plaza with a section for every province of Spain.

5. Maria Luisa Park - This huge park in the middle of the city has various museums and many pavilions built for the 1929 Iberoamerican Exhibition.

6. Bellas Artes Museum - This is one of Spain's top art museums and has some of the best Baroque art, represented by Velazquez and Murillo. It also has important works of El Greco and Goya.

7. Archaeological Museum - This is one of the best in Spain and has a huge Roman collection of statues and floor mosaics that were found in the whole province of Seville.

8. Casa de Pilatos - The Medinaceli Family built this huge palace, and part of it can be seen by the public. It has beautiful Mudejar architecture and many small gardens.

9. The Palace of the Countess of Lebrija - This palace downtown has some of the best Roman floor mosaics in Spain, taken from Italica.

10. The Church of El Salvador - This Baroque church was recently renovated and is one of the most beautiful Baroque churches in Spain.

11. The Hotel Alfonso XIII - This historic hotel was built in 1929 by King Alfonso XIII and is one of the most opulent Neo-Mudejar buildings in Spain.

12. Barrio of Santa Cruz - The narrow streets of this charming barrio in the center has many restaurants, tapas bars, and flamenco.

13. Tabacalera Building - This beautiful building has the fame of the opera Carmen and is now used by the university.

14. Church of La Macarena - The Virgin of La Macarena is the most revered in Sevilla, and this church houses that Virgin.

15. Popular Arts Museum - This is housed in one of the most beautiful Mudejar buildings in Seville.

16. Archivo General de Indias - A beautiful building that contains all the documents and papers of the New World empire of Spain.

17. Santiponce - This small town on the western edge of Seville contains the Roman ruins of Italica and the Monastery of San Isidoro del Campo.

18. Carmona - This is a white town about 30km northwest of Seville and is almost untouched by tourism. There are beautiful churches, chapels, boutique hotels in 16th century palaces, and an impressive parador in an old fort, with a magnificent view.

Lake Vinuela...
Level Contributor
9,535 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: please look at my seville itinerary

No way are you allowing yourselves enough time to see Seville.

Drop Gibraltar and spend the day in Seville instead.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
18,720 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: please look at my seville itinerary

Unless you especially wish to visit Gibraltar I would consider leaving that and staying some time in Seville. I think you may find it enjoyable but obviously if your time is precious then maybe....

Have you considered going from Seville to Granada by public transport (either the train or the bus) as it takes 3 hours and returning on the same day would mean 6 hours travel in one day ? Can I suggest that if you are travelling from Granada to Barcelona you can take a daytime or overnight train? Have a look at times on www.renfe.es/horarios/english/index.html

of course there are planes that get you from A to B in a little over one hour. have a look at www.vueling.com for times and prices.

A relaxed visit to Seville & Granada are certainly ideal especially if you are going when it is hot.

If you decide to get to the Alhambra in Granada using your own independent means, you can reserve entry tickets in advance using the Internet. Refer to Benny's useful notes about this in the Granada Forum. Euros 11 each for standard adult entry.

Buena suerte.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
123 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: please look at my seville itinerary

Wow! Lots to see in Seville!

Thanks for all the replies!

Let me add... prior to our time in Seville we will be in Madrid for 4 days (one of which will be a day trip to Avila/Segovia). That leaves us with 3 full days in Madrid. Maybe we should shorten the Madrid stay by one night and add it to Seville?

2 full days in Madrid is plenty?

berkshire, england
Level Contributor
517 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: please look at my seville itinerary

2 days in each would be a much better solution, although it depends what you're interested in.

Madrid also has plenty to see, particularly in terms of art galleries, but if you're more into sightseeing/wandering the streets then Seville has a beautiful old quarter & areas packed full of monuments - in Madrid it's all a bit more spread out & diluted & many parts could be any European city.

I do think you will regret spending only one evening in Seville.

Also, is there a reason why you will be arriving at 4pm? Are you travelling by AVE? Why not get an earlier train & at least have the afternoon in Seville - I'm guessing that you're unlikely to be doing anything too ambitious on a last morning in Madrid.

PS - the day tour from Madrid - Toledo is far more interesting than Segovia!

Lake Vinuela...
Level Contributor
9,535 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: please look at my seville itinerary

Would also opt for Toledo rather than Segovia.

Chicago
Level Contributor
168 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: please look at my seville itinerary

Also, why are you going to spend 6 hours on a train to Granada and back? Take the train one way to Granada, and then fly from Granada to Barcelona. Clickair/Vueling have flights that are sometimes less than $100.

Northampton, MA
Level Contributor
3,656 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: please look at my seville itinerary

I agree with all of the above. Skip Gibraltar. Two days in Madrid is enough. At least two nights in Seville (three is better) and overnight in Granada is a must.

In my opinion the north and the south should be done in two separate trips unless you have three weeks to spend to see the whole country.

9. Re: please look at my seville itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 01:17