We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Week with the kids ... what to do?

Which Seville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
A Week with the kids ... what to do?

I will be in Seville the first week of June and wonder what can I do with two young boys (7 and 12).

Gracias!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
426 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A Week with the kids ... what to do?

I love showing American kids Seville, since so many sites are relevant to new world history. If the kids have any Spanish ancestry you can make this quite dramatic by imagining ancestors who sailed from here.

Fun stuff:

Ride the tram that runs past the old university building and to the Plaza Nueva.

Climb the Giralda. They'll love the ramps.

Walk the Santa Cruz quarter and make a game of finding the absolute narrowest street (measured by arm lengths).

Tour the bullring.

Catch a soccer match if there's one on.

Go to the Plaza de la Encarnacion to see the Metropol Parasol project under construction.

Ask if there are any festivals or religious observances while you're in town.

History stuff:

In the cathedral, challenge them to find the tomb of "a very famous explorer" (Columbus).

In the Alcazar, go into the Cuarto del Almirante and discuss the painting "Virgen de los Navegantes" that shows Columbus, some Native Americans, and others. Especially if your guidebook discusses it, this is a good jumping-off point them to understand Seville as a center for exploring the Americas.

Go to the river and have them imagine the banks as busy working docks from which boats are sailing to Florida, Mexico, etc.

Between the river and Alcazar, find the Real Casa de la Moneda. Doesn't look like much, but this is the mint where 87% of the gold and 72% of the silver from the Americas were brought from the ships, melted, coined, and made Spain so wealthy in the 1600s. www.sevilla21.com/ciudad/monumentos.php?id=2

Sevilla
Level Contributor
906 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: A Week with the kids ... what to do?

The football season ends 31st May unfortunately.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A Week with the kids ... what to do?

Thank you for your feedback!

berkshire, england
Level Contributor
522 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A Week with the kids ... what to do?

Bear in mind that it could be extremely hot during the day - I've been in Seville the last week in May when it hit 100.

Try to plan in some times which will allow them to cool down - either a hotel with a pool, or finding out where the municipal pool is.

The beaches of Cadiz are about 2 hours away by train & would be worth spending a day on (Cadiz itself is interesting to explore).

There are day tours running to the Donana National Park, where you can take a "mini safari" to see the wildlife.

Italica, a reasonably well preserved Roman settlement would be great for kids. 30 mins by public bus from Plaza de Armas.

hawaii
Level Contributor
565 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A Week with the kids ... what to do?

aloha

dont forget that seville has an amusement park called

Isla Magica with all kinds of rides the kids will probably enjoy.

I will be in seville in mid june and plan to go there with my kids.

there is also a water park there as well but i cannot recall name at this time. will try to write back with that info.

good luck.

England
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A Week with the kids ... what to do?

thank you correfoc some fantastic ideas for me too when I come with my husband (46 year old kid!!!) :>)

7. Re: A Week with the kids ... what to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 05:30