We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Study abroad year in Sevilla what to pack?

Which Seville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oregon
Level Contributor
3,075 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Study abroad year in Sevilla what to pack?

My son will be spending the next school year in Sevilla. I am trying to convince him that he doesn't need to bring a steamer trunk (just kidding). Do you think that he can bring everything he needs for 9 months in one suitcase and a carry on? I know that he will be able to purchase consumable necessities while he is there.

Also, he will be arriving in Barcelona around 7:30 pm and needs to be in Sevilla the next day around noon. Should I try to get him a flight that night, or have him stay in a hotel in Barcelona and fly out the next day? I am concerned about how long it will take to get through customs.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
56,092 posts
3,501 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Study abroad year in Sevilla what to pack?

I think your son should pack lightly. Students dress informally here like they do in the U.S. He needs only one good jacket for winter. He can buy clothes here if he needs any.

I think he should stay overnight in Barcelona and fly the next morning to Seville.

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,204 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Study abroad year in Sevilla what to pack?

He certainly shouldn't stay overnight in Barcelona if he has to be in Seville for something important (e.g. Registration) at noon the following day. Even youngsters suffer jet-lag when flying east and you're relying on him getting up very early to get a flight to Seville - not sure I'd want to risk that.

The whole journey sounds very tight timewise to me - couldn't you get a flight into BCN the day before, or to somewhere nearer to Seville such as Madrid? If not then getting a flight to Seville the same evening is the best bet, then when he wakes up late the next morning at least he's in the right city at the right end of the country!

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
2,640 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Study abroad year in Sevilla what to pack?

he **must** pack light. first of all, sevilla does not get really cold, so he can forget about heavy sweaters and jackets. second, he will find that people here wears somewhat different as in the u.s. so he would probably like to 'adapt' his wardrobe. third, he will like to bring back home many things after his stay, so better have a half-empty suitcase ;)

actually, a suitcase for 9-months should not be much bigger than a suitcase for 1-2 weeks

regarding 'consumables'... unless he needs or is used to something really specific he can't find out of the states (and there are very few things nowadays) it makes little sense to carry anything

regarding flights, it really does not matter if he arrives to barcelona or madrid... it's a 60min vs a 90min flight... not such a big difference

but in any case i think he must take a flight to sevilla asap. he will be already at the airport, and it will be easier for him to 'set up' if he has not to fly again next morning. arriving late night to sevilla should not be a problem, the city is very lively even at midnight. besides he risks arriving late to his appointment in sevilla at noon unless he takes a very early morning flight

i do agree it would be much better if he can fly to spain at least 1 day before but i guess it's not possible

Oregon
Level Contributor
3,075 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Study abroad year in Sevilla what to pack?

He is already booked on a BA flight from SFO to Barcelona departing Sept. 7 and arriving Sept. 8. He needs to be in Sevilla Sept. 9 - noonish. How long should it take him to get through customs in Barcelona? It looks like Vueling has quite a few Barcelona-Sevilla flights. I do think that it would be better if he gets to Sevilla as quickly as possible. His meeting place is a hotel, so we him a room there for the 8th.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
2,640 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Study abroad year in Sevilla what to pack?

there is a vueling flight at 22:25

i never passed trough customs in barcelona, but my guess is that nearly 3 hours between flights should be more than enough

btw, vueling now belongs to iberia group, so same alliance as ba (oneworld)

Oregon
Level Contributor
3,075 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Study abroad year in Sevilla what to pack?

So, I've got him booked on the 22:25 Vueling flight. I'm sure that he will be dead tired when he finally gets to Sevilla right around midnight - but he's young and can handle it! Now we just have to get all of his banking stuff figured out.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
2,640 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Study abroad year in Sevilla what to pack?

sure he will be tired but he will manage.

when doing intercontinental flights i prefer to arrive very tired and late... this way i can go directly to bed and next morning i'm already on 'local' time, no jet lag (or not so bad)

Oregon
Level Contributor
3,075 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Study abroad year in Sevilla what to pack?

"when doing intercontinental flights i prefer to arrive very tired and late... this way i can go directly to bed and next morning i'm already on 'local' time, no jet lag (or not so bad)"

Good Point!

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Study abroad year in Sevilla what to pack?

I studied in Sevilla during my junior year in college as well. I certainly would suggest packing light. He can always buy clothes, though with the exchange rate he may not want to purchase an entire wardrobe - it may get expensive. During the winter it does get chilly, even though it doesn't snow, it can get down to the high 30s. And it's the kind of cold that goes through your bones. He will see the locals all bundled up as if there were a blizzard coming through.

He probably might want to purchase another suitcase for his return trip with all the extras he'll have purchased throughout the year. What I would suggest is tucking a smaller suitcase in a larger one for the outbound trip so he'll already have the extra one for the return trip.

Re: the flight - DEFINITELY try to get to Sevilla the same night if possible. You never know about flight schedules and delays the next day. That way he can get settled, get a good night's sleep and be there on time.

What a GREAT experience he'll have! It's the BEST thing I've ever done!

Northampton, MA
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Study abroad year in Sevilla what to pack?

I did that in college and it was also the best thing I've ever done. Sevilla is a fantastic place. If he has a girlfriend in the U.S. he may want to break up before the trip. I was given that advice but didn't follow it, I regret it to this day.