We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rail journeys to cordoba and cadiz

Oxford UK
Level Contributor
49 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
rail journeys to cordoba and cadiz

We are planning rail trips from Seville to Cordoba, Cadiz and Jerez in October. Have looked at the forums and renfe site and have a couple of questions if anyone can help please. What is the best train from Seville to Cordoba? The AVE and Avant are faster but much more expensive than the Andalucia Express. Is it possible to book ahead for the slower train which is half or a quarter the price of the other two. Are there any drawbacks?

Secondly if you book a return Seville-Cadiz-Seville can you alight at Jerez and then continue your journey or do you need separate tickets? Apologies if these questions are answered elsewhere but couldn't find them

Mentioned in this post
Seville
Seville
Province of Seville, Spain
Cordoba
Cordoba
Province of Cordoba, Spain
Cadiz
Cadiz
Costa de la Luz, Spain
Jerez
Jerez
213 Reviews
Ronda, Spain
Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
66,375 posts
3,763 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rail journeys to cordoba and cadiz

Travelinhope:

Yes, you can book the slower train. The disadvantage is the speed and the older trains are not as comfortable as the new AVE trains.

From Cadiz to Seville, if you want to stop at Jerez, you will need separate tickets.

Mentioned in this post
Cadiz
Cadiz
Costa de la Luz, Spain
Seville
Seville
Tynemouth
Level Contributor
4,894 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rail journeys to cordoba and cadiz

Is it really necessary to book in advance for the regional trains or should it be OK just to buy at the station on the day?

UK
Level Contributor
342 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rail journeys to cordoba and cadiz

We have just come back from Seville, and went from there by train to both Cordoba and Cadiz. We bought the trains tickets for both on the day, there is no need to book ahead of time.

However, allow plenty of time (at least half an hour) at Seville station to buy your tickets. There are long queues inside the ticket office, which are confusing. Twice we had queued in the wrong line and had to start all over again.

The other strange thing is that you have to state what time you are going to return and then they issue a ticket for that train. I don't know if it's possible to buy ordinary any-train return tickets, it didn't seem to be.

We went to Cordoba on the Andalucia Express which is perfectly clean and comfortable. It's much like an ordinary British train except cleaner. It's also about a tenth of the price of the AVE and only takes half an hour longer.

The train to Cadiz was an Avant I think, also perfectly clean and comfortable but not cheap: two round-tickets cost over €40 but worth it.

Mentioned in this post
Seville
Seville
Cordoba
Cordoba
Cadiz
Cadiz
Costa de la Luz, Spain
Tynemouth
Level Contributor
4,894 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: rail journeys to cordoba and cadiz

Thank you, that is really helpful. I presume one queue is for the AVE and the other for the regional trains? Is it any cheaper to buy return tickets on the regional trains as, if not or there isn't much in it, it's probably better just to buy two singles and then you have the flexibility of returning when you want to.

UK
Level Contributor
342 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: rail journeys to cordoba and cadiz

B&P,

<<Thank you, that is really helpful. I presume one queue is for the AVE and the other for the regional trains? Is it any cheaper to buy return tickets on the regional trains as, if not or there isn't much in it, it's probably better just to buy two singles and then you have the flexibility of returning when you want to.>>

Oh no, would that it were that simple! One queue is for Today tickets, marked Hoy. Except that I got into the Hoy queue and when I said Cadiz I was pointed to another queue for Medium Distance trains and had to queue again*.

Other queues are for long distance trains, not-today trains, and about 5 other variants.

The first trip from Seville to Cordoba and back in one day, we met a REALLY helpful man who spoke fluent English and showed us a good "trick". We bought tickets there (singles) and when we wanted to come back, (having noted the times of trains back), we showed them these tickets in Cordoba station and only had to pay an extra Euro each for the return trip. Amazing, eh?

*On the Cadiz day-return, no such luck. I had to state in advance to the not-English-speaking woman, which train we wanted to come back on. Why? ¿Por qué? Shrug.

I suppose it all depends who you get when you reach the head of the queue. Good Luck!

Mentioned in this post
Cadiz
Cadiz
Costa de la Luz, Spain
Seville
Seville
Cordoba
Cordoba
Bergen, Norway
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: rail journeys to cordoba and cadiz

Hi there:)

Just back from a daytrip from Jerez to Seville and back. We noticed the problem with the queues at Seville railwaystation, but there always seems to be an assistant to ask for information. They are very helpful, and also speak english ok.

What seems to be the best is, to speak a bit spanish.

Wish you a nice trip from Norway.

Mentioned in this post
Seville
Seville
Tynemouth
Level Contributor
4,894 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: rail journeys to cordoba and cadiz

Well, I suppose it's all part of the fun of travelling, isn't it! Thank you for your helpful tips anyway - I've cut and pasted them into my travel notes which are getting longer by the day!

Oxford UK
Level Contributor
49 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: rail journeys to cordoba and cadiz

Thank you all for your most helpful advice for my original post - I certainly like the 1 euro return trick!!

9. Re: rail journeys to cordoba and cadiz

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 March 2010, 04:18