We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train from Malaga to Seville

co Mayo
Level Contributor
28 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
train from Malaga to Seville

I intend doing the marathon in Seville on February 14th 2010. I cannot get a direct flight to seville so early in the year but have been advised that there is a train from Malaga. when I checked the rail website and keyed in the dates - it says that there are no trains on the days I want.

Could it be that you cant book so far in advance? or do trains not run over the weekend? Am very keen to go but if I cant get there I will just abandon the trip. Ideally want to go saturday and back monday or even sunday night if I had to.

How far of a drive might it be if I couldnt get a train?

Thanks

Ian
Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
11,365 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train from Malaga to Seville

Trains run from malaga to seville, a very frequent service in place. Not sure how long in advance they appear on the renfe site (think 60 days). I am taking the train at the end of february from malaga to seville, will check times about 15 days before.. The bus station is next to train station, you can book now on the bus and it is a cheaper option "alsa" is bus company name, very little time difference between train and bus

Ian
Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
11,365 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: train from Malaga to Seville

Should have added trains/bus runs 7 days a week, i am travelling on the sunday.

Sevilla
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: train from Malaga to Seville

Reattempt to book your train trip next Monday, 14 December, 60 days in advance of the travel date 13 February, using www.renfe.es. For Sat., 13 Feb., expect to see four departures of the AVANT train from Malaga with a two-hour ride to Sevilla for a round trip cost of 68 euros. I'd suggest you avoid traveling on Sunday. For Mon., 15 Feb. (unless Renfe makes significant changes), count on a choice of six departure times for the AVANT headed back to Malaga. You could also opt for the slower (2 hrs 30 min) but cheaper R-598 train with five departures daily in either direction for a round trip cost of 36 euros. As for driving from Malaga to Sevilla, it takes about three hours (driving at a safe speed) to get to Sevilla city limits. In the opposite direction, add another half hour to get to the Malaga airport. Rush hour traffic is a real problem on the major highways leading into Malaga and Sevilla. If you drive it, make sure to get some good eats at one of the fine ventas located along the Malaga-Sevilla highway, which start appearing 20 minutes to an hour after leaving Malaga.

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: train from Malaga to Seville

I have made this train trip, we went from Malaga by train through some spectacular hills then across the plain. There is a station near the airport about 5 minutes walk then change in Malaga. On the way back we came by bus and changed in Malaga, I think you pay at a ticket office. The 2 trips take about the same time and you don't need much Spanish.

co Mayo
Level Contributor
28 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: train from Malaga to Seville

I am in a bit of a panic at this stage. I have checked the website almost daily for the last few weeks and it says still , that there are no trains on this day. ( going 13th Feb and returning 15th Feb). The flights I want only have one seat available so I think I am going to have to book it. I dont want to be stranded in Malaga and if I cant get to seville and back in time there is no point in travelling and I have wasted four days , flights and airport carpark etc. What will I do?!!!!

Oswestry, United...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: train from Malaga to Seville

divechick10891,

I have not read this thread thoroughly and am only responding to your possible distress.

I am suprised you have not been directed to this - tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187514-c80518/Madrid…

AND note posts #1 and #2 at the end.

Use any imminent date on the RENFE website and you will see the volume of trains which run.

There is not the remotest possibility you will be stranded, anywhere, train (or bus wise).

Ask me specifics if you need more.

Best wishes.

Torrox Costa, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torrox
Level Contributor
6,274 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: train from Malaga to Seville

I think WomBatt was trying to direct you to this forum posting by BennyMalaga

http://tinyurl.com/yz7bf6g

The comment made regarding February trains is:

The Renfe website is having another problem now. It does not show the schedules for February. If you are planning to travel on the train on that month, my advice to you is to keep checking the schedule every day until they post the one you want.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
49,482 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: train from Malaga to Seville

I have looked at a printed timetable.

This lists trains from Malaga to Seville thus:

AVANT fast trains at 0645, 0910, 1430, 1615, 1810 and 2015 these take about 2 hours for the journey. Slower Regional trains taking about 35 minutes longer run at 0740, 1040 and 1635 plus others at 1405 and 2013 which are overtaken by the AVANT trains leaving afterwards.

The regional trains cost €18,20 and the AVANT €34,70. You don't need to reserve on the Regional trains but should for the Avant..

But, for whatever reason, the RENFE website is indeed not allowing bookings for mid-February, which is well inside the 60 day window for seat reservations.

I'm fairly sure I have read somewhere that the site doesn't like Firefox or Opera, both of which I use in preference to Internet Explorer. I wonder if that is part of the problem?

co Mayo
Level Contributor
28 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: train from Malaga to Seville

Thanks WOMBAT I ddi get the link but half way through I realised that is was Madrid so I did nt bother reading through it as I wasnt prepared to fly to Madrid.

I dont knowo much about computers so not sure what those things are that you talked about. I click on internet exploreer when I use the internet.. Can get the site alright.

Thanks sooooo much for the printed times. I ammuch relieved. Will just get one when I arrive and hope that I will get back to malaga for a noon flight on the monday.

Thanks for all your hlep.

Torrox Costa, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torrox
Level Contributor
6,274 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: train from Malaga to Seville

The link posted by Wombatt and myself is for GENERAL information giving step-by-step instructions how to purchase a train ticket. it is NOT specifically for Madrid.

If you are all interested in buying a ticket online it really is essential reading.