We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bullfighting - see it in Madrid or Seville???

Which Seville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
191 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
bullfighting - see it in Madrid or Seville???

hi,

we can't decide if we should see the bullfights in madrid or seville ... any feedback? we are going in may 2010.

is there a huge price difference?

thanks

amanda

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
2,640 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: bullfighting - see it in Madrid or Seville???

what about seeing something else than some animals being tortured to death??

(sorry, i'm one of these many spaniards who feel ashamed of this 'tradition')

Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
10,704 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bullfighting - see it in Madrid or Seville???

They have top Bull Fighters at both rings, not sure of the prices. I'm with gatamaula on this one, you might find something better to do with your money. Have fun

Oswestry, United...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bullfighting - see it in Madrid or Seville???

amanda,

Judge for yourself.

YouTube 'bullfight' or 'bullfighter' and see if you have the stomach for six fights of 20 to 25 minutes each time, because that is what you pay for. With luck you will also find the one where the matador is gored to death.

Best wishes.

Edited: 10 March 2010, 12:27
Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
4,602 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bullfighting - see it in Madrid or Seville???

rarely does a question about bullfighting actually get an answer. it is a bit arrogant to assume that you haven't already come to a decision about bullfighting or that you want to see it for yourself. The first reply is very political as Cataluna and Madrid have taken opposite opinions which are more to do with politics and separation than with the merits or otherwise of bullfighting.

The important thing for you to do is to research bullfighters and see some good ones. The atmosphere will be important, which is why although Torremolinos has the best matadors sometimes, you will get more from a big city arena. Seville, Madrid, Malaga etc. is more to do with your convenience.

personally I go once or so a season and watch it on TV but after the fourth Corrida I have had enough because to the untutored eye each fight is remarkably similar to the one that went before.

Some names: Jose Thomas, El Fandi, El Cordobes,El Cid, Cayetano, A genuine aficionado can come up with a lot more good ones and I will keep a look out for them coming here or to Malaga Feria.

Just remember the bull has a good long free range life. The meat in a supermarket has a short one, hormone injected, antibiotic, often shut up in a shed and killed in a queue where it can smell and hear its fellows dying ahead of it. If you are going to be rabidly anti bullfight go to an abatoir first.

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,081 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bullfighting - see it in Madrid or Seville???

Madrid is a much larger city and the bull ring only has so many seats so I would think you would be have a better chance of getting tickets in Sevilla.

scotland
Level Contributor
249 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bullfighting - see it in Madrid or Seville???

In May in Madrid there is San Isidro , so there are bullfights every night

7. Re: bullfighting - see it in Madrid or Seville???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2010, 05:16